Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Evanescence _The Open Door_ pulled from Amazon?

Old 09-07-06, 04:26 PM

Evanescence _The Open Door_ pulled from Amazon?

The link has gone bad in my wishlist and Amazon Search no longer finds it.
Old 09-07-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just saw it around lunch time, as a matter of fact I have it in my "recently viewed items" but when I click on it I get this:

Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site
Old 09-07-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Noticed the same thing, I was thinking maybe the release date had been pushed up (given that the album's been leaked - or so I've heard). But I don't know why that'd effect the listing not showing...
Old 09-07-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm listening to it right now. If you like the first, you will probably dig this one as it's pretty similar.
Old 09-07-06, 09:53 PM

Well, the link is back, at a good price too ($9.98).
Old 09-07-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'm listening to it right now. If you like the first, you will probably dig this one as it's pretty similar.
Care to share a link? Looking forward to hearing this one - this is one I'll buy whether it's leaked or not. One of my favorite artists.
Old 09-07-06, 10:26 PM

From what I've heard of it (I have a friend who downloaded it from BitTorrent), The Open Door is only ok. Though it has a similar sound, it's not as good as the first CD. In fact, it sounds too much like the first CD except without the good songs. I only found a couple of tracks appealing on first listen. Not worth the three year wait, IMO. Maybe it will grow on me and I'll buy it when it comes out. We'll see.

HERE is the Amazon link from the band's homepage. It seems to be working. Both Amazon and Evanescence's Homepage have the release date listed as Oct. 3rd.

Last edited by Mr. Thames; 09-07-06 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-08-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've now listened to it a couple of times and will say that it is not as good as the first album. Too much mid-tempo stuff that sounds alike. Though they approximate the sound of the first album, it is obvious they are missing the songwriting of the guitarist that left. The first had catchy hooks and this one lacks in that area. She still has a great voice.
Old 09-08-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I've now listened to it a couple of times and will say that it is not as good as the first album. Too much mid-tempo stuff that sounds alike. Though they approximate the sound of the first album, it is obvious they are missing the songwriting of the guitarist that left. The first had catchy hooks and this one lacks in that area. She still has a great voice.
Same thing happened with Our Lady Peace when their guitarist left. The album after just was missing a great deal of what he brought to the table.
Old 09-08-06, 10:27 AM

I personally think it is a great cd. They were put into a no-win situation after the success of Fallen. If they would have made another cd that sounded just like their previous work everyone would have said "Oh this is just like before, why should I buy this a second time?" This is not Fallen II, which people are saying isn't any good because "Oh this isn't just like Fallen, oh this sucks." The Open Door is more like their older works. Fallen was built from the first track to even the tracks ultimately cut from the cd to be "radio friendly" and easily acceptable for the masses. I am in no way putting down Fallen, it is a great cd that I have listened to over and over and still do from time to time. Every song on the cd could have been put on the radio and would have gained popularity. I keep hearing "this isn't worth the 3 year wait..they had all this time to make a cd and this is all we get?" Yes, it has been 3 years, but for 2 years they were touring around the globe, they only sat down to fully envelope theirselves into making this cd a year ago. During that time Ben had left, Amy had gotten together and ultimately broken up with Shaun Morgan, Terry had a stroke, etc etc. Not an easy time by any means. In my opinion they have came through that and have delievered a great cd.

Not everyone that liked Fallen is going to accept The Open Door at first or maybe even ever. My opinion...there is no "sophomore slump" here. I am glad that they went towards a direction of taking their older sound and putting a more up to date spin on it. I hope it isn't another 3 years until their next work, but even if it is I am happy with the work they have made. The band has stated themselves that they like the cd and they have the final say on how things end up. If they had thought it wasn't any good they wouldn't have recorded it.
Old 09-08-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not expecting Fallen II, I'm just expecting equally good songwriting, and I don't really see that here.
Old 09-08-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LKirven517
I personally think it is a great cd. They were put into a no-win situation after the success of Fallen. If they would have made another cd that sounded just like their previous work everyone would have said "Oh this is just like before, why should I buy this a second time?" This is not Fallen II, which people are saying isn't any good because "Oh this isn't just like Fallen, oh this sucks." The Open Door is more like their older works. Fallen was built from the first track to even the tracks ultimately cut from the cd to be "radio friendly" and easily acceptable for the masses. I am in no way putting down Fallen, it is a great cd that I have listened to over and over and still do from time to time. Every song on the cd could have been put on the radio and would have gained popularity. I keep hearing "this isn't worth the 3 year wait..they had all this time to make a cd and this is all we get?" Yes, it has been 3 years, but for 2 years they were touring around the globe, they only sat down to fully envelope theirselves into making this cd a year ago. During that time Ben had left, Amy had gotten together and ultimately broken up with Shaun Morgan, Terry had a stroke, etc etc. Not an easy time by any means. In my opinion they have came through that and have delievered a great cd.

Not everyone that liked Fallen is going to accept The Open Door at first or maybe even ever. My opinion...there is no "sophomore slump" here. I am glad that they went towards a direction of taking their older sound and putting a more up to date spin on it. I hope it isn't another 3 years until their next work, but even if it is I am happy with the work they have made. The band has stated themselves that they like the cd and they have the final say on how things end up. If they had thought it wasn't any good they wouldn't have recorded it.
That's funny, because to me, this is the CD that sounds like it was made to be radio-friendly.
Old 09-09-06, 11:11 PM

i don't think it's overly radio-friendly- except maybe "sober".

"lithium" is great. the entire cd is pretty good.

"snow white queen" sounds good, but the lyrics are just TOO much of a cliche' of "goth" music.
Old 09-10-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
i don't think it's overly radio-friendly- except maybe "sober".

"lithium" is great. the entire cd is pretty good.

"snow white queen" sounds good, but the lyrics are just TOO much of a cliche' of "goth" music.
Lithium definitely stood out as great when I listened.

It could just be that I have ridiculously high expectations, as Fallen is probably one of my favorite three albums of all time.
Old 09-14-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by abrg923
Care to share a link? Looking forward to hearing this one - this is one I'll buy whether it's leaked or not. One of my favorite artists.
hey dude, shoot me an email
[email protected]
Good stuff so far. In all honesty, I don't actually have Fallen. I know i should though.