Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

off topic material split and returning suspended member banned

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

off topic material split and returning suspended member banned

Old 09-06-06, 03:53 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by cungar
Did America just wake up out of it's shit music haze?

.
No, we're still in the continuing shit music music haze from the '60's, because Bob Dylan still sells. Ugh..talk about a right-place, right-time, opportunistic hack.
uwftke26 is offline  
Old 09-06-06, 04:01 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,254
Originally Posted by uwftke26
No, we're still in the continuing shit music music haze from the '60's, because Bob Dylan still sells. Ugh..talk about a right-place, right-time, opportunistic hack.
Yeah his new album is only getting 95% great reviews and he's only one of the most respected artists of the 20th century. But because you think he's an opportunistic hack he must be. I'm sure you've heard the album and are making an informed assessment of it's value rather than just spewing idiotic bile, right?
cungar is offline  
Old 09-06-06, 04:12 PM
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by cungar
Yeah his new album is only getting 95% great reviews and he's only one of the most respected artists of the 20th century. But because you think he's an opportunistic hack he must be. I'm sure you've heard the album and are making an informed assessment of it's value rather than just spewing idiotic bile, right?
Yes I have, and any opinion different from yours is idiotic, right?
uwftke26 is offline  
Old 09-06-06, 04:49 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,747
Originally Posted by uwftke26
Yes I have, and any opinion different from yours is idiotic, right?
I make no attack against you personally, but calling BOB FREAKIN' DYLAN a "hack" is, in fact, idiotic (the statement, NOT YOU).

Bob Dylan is a pioneer and a legend, a deserving R&R HOF'er and idol and inspiration to millions.

And *I* don't even like the guy's music.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 09-06-06, 04:52 PM
  #5  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
http://www.jumpstation.ca/recroom/comedy/python/argument.html

...
benedict is offline  
Old 09-06-06, 05:59 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,254
Originally Posted by uwftke26
Yes I have, and any opinion different from yours is idiotic, right?
I would have respected your comment more if you just said you don't like Dylan's music. But to call the man opportunistic and a hack proves you know nothing about his career. What exactly is opportunistic about a 65 year old songwriter releasing albums of songs in blues and swing styles in 2006? And what makes him a hack?
cungar is offline  
Old 09-06-06, 10:31 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,304
Originally Posted by uwftke26
Yes I have, and any opinion different from yours is idiotic, right?

Dude, just know that anytime you dare to have a different opinion about anything like this people here on DVDTALK will come after you with torches. They can't handle different opinions when it comes to stuff like this. You're supposed to just follow the popular opinion and shut the fuck up no matter what you may personally think.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 09-06-06, 10:52 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Andalusia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,522
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Dude, just know that anytime you dare to have a different opinion about anything like this people here on DVDTALK will come after you with torches. They can't handle different opinions when it comes to stuff like this. You're supposed to just follow the popular opinion and shut the fuck up no matter what you may personally think.
No, because his original statement makes absolutely no fucking sense. Opportunistic hack? Because the man releases an album (after almost 5 years)? An opinion is one thing... say you don't like the man's music, I don't care. But what he said is just plain stupid.
Andalusia is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 12:03 AM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Originally Posted by uwftke26
No, we're still in the continuing shit music music haze from the '60's, because Bob Dylan still sells. Ugh..talk about a right-place, right-time, opportunistic hack.

Go listen to the Deftones.
Arpeggi is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 12:08 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,304
Originally Posted by Andalusia
No, because his original statement makes absolutely no fucking sense. Opportunistic hack? Because the man releases an album (after almost 5 years)? An opinion is one thing... say you don't like the man's music, I don't care. But what he said is just plain stupid.
So what. What I said is still true.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 08:16 AM
  #11  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by cungar
I would have respected your comment more if you just said you don't like Dylan's music. But to call the man opportunistic and a hack proves you know nothing about his career. What exactly is opportunistic about a 65 year old songwriter releasing albums of songs in blues and swing styles in 2006? And what makes him a hack?
He was right place, right time when he started...a warbling folk hero for the free love idiots, a can't-sing anti-hero for the anti-establishment. The best part is, most hardcore Dylan fans haven't read his autobiography - I have - and he alludes to the fact that fans then were easily mobilized and excited, and he knew just what persona to give them. In a way, it's a crassness not unlike...Jessica Simpson!

Last edited by uwftke26; 09-07-06 at 08:20 AM.
uwftke26 is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 08:18 AM
  #12  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Go listen to the Deftones.
I can't figure out if you actually think the Deftones are good, or if you simply assume that anyone who would dare impugn the great Bob Dylan must be some mindless metal-loving meathead.

Either way, I disagree.
uwftke26 is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 09:06 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,254
Originally Posted by uwftke26
The best part is, most hardcore Dylan fans haven't read his autobiography - I have !
Another statement that makes no sense.
cungar is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 10:04 AM
  #14  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by cungar
Another statement that makes no sense.
Let me help. You see, I was alluding to the fact that most "hardcore" Dylan fans haven't read the book, which basically takes the whole radical movement of his heyday and boils it down to crass commercialism. If you're too dense to udnerstand any other statements, please do let me know and I'll be happy to help.
uwftke26 is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 11:52 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,071
Originally Posted by uwftke26
The best part is, most hardcore Dylan fans haven't read his autobiography - I have - and he alludes to the fact that fans then were easily mobilized and excited, and he knew just what persona to give them.
I hesitate to get into this, but this statement jumped out at me: he didn't give the fans the persona they wanted - otherwise he would've never gone electric. I've read his autobio and I've seen both Don't Look Back and No Direction Home and the one thing about the latter is that it is filled with many angry fans saying this concert or that concert was "shite" - they were British, mostly.

You can feel free to hold what opinions you have of him, even if Dylan himself has purposefully talked against them. You think the crowds came running after him when he went dogmatically Christian? I don't think so.

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
his 90s work with Lanois on "TooM"
I'm pretty sure he was mostly talking about his work with Lanois on Oh Mercy and not so much on Time Out of Mind.

-ringding-
DrRingDing is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 12:07 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Andalusia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,522
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So what. What I said is still true.
In some cases, sure. In this case, it appears you're sticking up for an obvious troll.
Andalusia is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 12:15 PM
  #17  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
uwftke26, if you're "too dense" to fall in line with the forum protocols as to how you address and interact with fellow members you might as well take a short posting holiday. Ordinarily I prefer to allow a few warnings before a suspension but this time I'm not going to bother.

While you're away, please take a look at the forum rules sent to you when you joined up less than a month ago and the sticky thread atop this forum.


__________
benedict
moderator, music talk etc.
benedict is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 12:55 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,304
Originally Posted by Andalusia
In some cases, sure. In this case, it appears you're sticking up for an obvious troll.

In most cases...
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 01:32 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Andalusia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,522
Heck, let's drop it. Troll's been suspended anyway...

Lemme buy you an imaginary beer.
Andalusia is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 01:45 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,254
Originally Posted by uwftke26
Let me help. You see, I was alluding to the fact that most "hardcore" Dylan fans haven't read the book, which basically takes the whole radical movement of his heyday and boils it down to crass commercialism. If you're too dense to udnerstand any other statements, please do let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Please provide the research statistics you used to state that "most hardcore Dylan fans haven't read his autobiography". Oh he's gone. Forget it.

By the way Giantorbo, I inhabit your city.

What High School did you go to?

Last edited by cungar; 09-07-06 at 01:49 PM.
cungar is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 01:52 PM
  #21  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2
I am trying to word this correctly, lest I get banned, but some of you have a lot of growing up to do. I get banned based on suggesting that someone is "too dense" to understand my point, when cungar saying I "spew idiotic bile" is apparently just fine. Either I was singled out for some reason, or this forum, like so many others, is simply a good 'ol boys network that has only the pretense of uniformly-enforced rules.

Again, I am trying to keep my comments mild here, lest I be suspended. But the moderator, who I presumed would have a measured, even tone in these things, instead chooses to mock me for being here less than month. I presume that he declined to note the many posts, on a wide variety of topics, that I have been involved in, or the fact that I have already made a successful sale from an established member.
tkefwu62 is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 01:54 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,835
Well, wording or not, you're about to be banned. Bye!
uberjoe is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 01:54 PM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by uberjoe
Well, wording or not, you're about to be banned. Bye!
I'll be back, I assure you
tkefwu62 is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 02:06 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,254
Originally Posted by tkefwu62
I'll be back, I assure you
cungar is offline  
Old 09-07-06, 02:16 PM
  #25  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Originally Posted by tkefwu62
I am trying to word this correctly, lest I get banned, but some of you have a lot of growing up to do. I get banned based on suggesting that someone is "too dense" to understand my point, when cungar saying I "spew idiotic bile" is apparently just fine. Either I was singled out for some reason, or this forum, like so many others, is simply a good 'ol boys network that has only the pretense of uniformly-enforced rules.

Again, I am trying to keep my comments mild here, lest I be suspended. But the moderator, who I presumed would have a measured, even tone in these things, instead chooses to mock me for being here less than month. I presume that he declined to note the many posts, on a wide variety of topics, that I have been involved in, or the fact that I have already made a successful sale from an established member.
"Forgetting" the rules so soon after joining and agreeing to them certainly is a noteworthy point and nothing to do with mockery. Rejoining after a suspension is a banning offence. Thread closed.
benedict is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.