Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Aerosmith - Devil's Got A New Disquise (yet another hits CD) due 10/17

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-07-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who has more hits/live CDs (Aerosmith or Rolling Stones)?? Must be a rule for big lip singers.
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003052852
With its next studio album pushed back until 2007, Aerosmith plans to release a best-of, "" Oct. 17 via Columbia, in the midst of its fall tour with Motley Crue.

"We were working on getting a studio record out, but we just couldn't do it. There wasn't enough time," guitarist Joe Perry tells Billboard.com, calling the hits set "a good holdover."

"Devil's Got a New Disguise" takes its title from one of two new songs that will be included on the 18-track album. Perry describes it as "a classic Aerosmith rocker," while the other fresh track, "Sedona Sunrise," has been around for awhile and was considered for other Aerosmith albums. "We felt like it really had to come out, Perry says.

The rest of the set will be a "pared down" single-disc version of 2002's two-CD set "O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits," containing single mixes of 16 favorites from the band's tenures with both Columbia and Geffen.

Perry says Aerosmith plans to resume working on the new album in February. The group has been spending a lot of time mining its vaults for old songs and ideas, most of which he says "sounded like just old-fashioned Aerosmith songs" but "weren't perceived as being right for that time."

"There's a lot of the stuff that inspired the 'Pump' songs, and even before that," the guitarist explains. "There's a lot of songs there that I think have the grit and the meat of what a lot of people expect from Aerosmith. We thought we'd take another look at that stuff, and that's what's going to be the backbone of this next record."

The Aerosmith/Motley Crue tour kicks off Sept. 5 in Columbus, Ohio.

Track listing:
1. Dream On
2. Mama Kin
3. Sweet Emotion
4. Back In The Saddle
5. Last Child
6. Walk This Way
7. Dude (Looks Like A Lady)
8. Rag Doll
9. Love In An Elevator
10. Janie's Got A Gun
11. What It Takes
12. Crazy
13. Livin' On The Edge
14. Cryin'
15. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
16. Jaded
17. Sedona Sunrise
18. Devil's Got A New Disquise
Old 09-07-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

KISS is impressed.
Old 09-07-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Lord, how I pity Aerosmith completists.
Old 09-07-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ridiculous.
Old 09-07-06, 10:02 AM
Banned

I'm just glad that "Crazy" and "Cryin'" both made the cut, because they are definitely NOT the same exact song.
Old 09-07-06, 01:03 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uwftke26
I'm just glad that "Crazy" and "Cryin'" both made the cut, because they are definitely NOT the same exact song.
I would include "Amazing" in that statement, because it is also absolutely nothing like "Crazy".

I will have to say they did a decent job as far as compiling a single disc career spanning collection, without too many obvious omissions. The two new songs are what makes this a F-U to the hardcore fans in a way, because otherwise this compilation is perfect for casual fans who don't already have the other sets.

Last edited by DRG; 09-07-06 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
The two new songs are what makes this a F-U to the hardcore fans in a way, because otherwise this compilation is perfect for casual fans who don't already have the other sets.
I still purchase my music from a store like I did before the internet spoiled us. However, in situations like this, the internet can be a useful tool. I hate greatest hits albums and box sets for this reason. I really wish when compilations like this or box sets that mix hits with rarities came out, they would release a seperate album/single with only the new material. I'd spend a couple bucks for these new songs if they released them as a single but I won't shell out full price for an album with 16 songs I already have.
Old 09-08-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm crying cause I'm crazy. It's crazy and amazing....
Old 09-08-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems like every year either Aerosmith or Poison have a new greatest hits CD coming out. Maybe next year we should get Aerosmith Performs Poison's Greatest Hits and viceversa.
Old 09-08-06, 11:15 PM

I hope the New Songs are decent but they really should have waited and just put out a new studio album
Old 09-09-06, 12:04 AM
Banned

I'm crying cause I'm crazy. It's crazy and amazing....
There's an obscure SNL sketch from the early 90's where the similarity of "Cryin'", "Amazing" and "Crazy" is targeted. It's an ad for an Aerosmith compilation (and this was done back when they had a reasonable amount of compilations, I think it was pre-"Big Ones" so there was only "Greatest Hits", "Gems" and "Pandora's Box") and every song included was a variation or combination of those three songs.

Adam Sandler played Steven Tyler and Jay Mohr played Joe Perry. I don't remember what episode it's in but I'm 99% sure that it's cut out of the 1-hour version aired on E! (and previously Comedy Central) but I did see it again maybe two years ago or so on the uncut late-night classic SNL eps that NBC plays after the current eps.

It's pretty funny.
Old 09-09-06, 08:15 AM

Wow, this cover reminds me of Def Leppard's Retro Active CD.
Old 09-09-06, 09:20 AM

The only reason i could see for getting this set is if they did a new remastering to compare it to the last hits cd.
Old 09-10-06, 01:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bugg
Maybe next year we should get Aerosmith Performs Poison's Greatest Hits and viceversa.
I'd actually buy that.