Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rubber Soul vs. Revolver

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Rubber Soul vs. Revolver
Rubber Soul
32.93%
Revolver
67.07%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Rubber Soul vs. Revolver

Old 09-09-06, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Let It Be and Magical Mystery Tour over Rubber Soul and Revolver.
Yes. Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, I am the Walrus, All You Need is Love, etc. and Let it Be, Across the Universe, Get Back, Two of Us, etc. All of these songs are far better than anything on Rubber Soul and Revolver. I'm not saying they are bad albums, just overrated.
Old 09-09-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get Back is one of the worst Beatles songs ever. It sounds like it was written and recorded in like 5 min, plus John Lennon's lead guitar is HORRIBLE. I love the guy, but that guitar is so bad!!
Old 09-09-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rubber Soul, to my ears, pulls off the difficult feat of having all the songs sound similar without being repetive. They're all cut from the same cloth. I've just been listening to Forever Changes which I think does the same thing (even better). Revolver has some songs that stick out like sore thumbs to me ... Eleanor Rigby, a super song, might belong on the album, as mignt Got to Get you Into My Life, but they don't seem to fit.

Revolver just doesn't maintain the dominant "acid" mood of Dr. Robert, And Your Bird Can Sing, I'm Only Sleeping, and She Said She Said for the whole album as well as Rubber Soul maintains a "pot" mood for its entirety.

Also, I love the Beatles when their Lennon/McCartney songs sounded more like collaborations that their later de facto solo compositions. Rubber Soul is their last album where I can't tell (for the most part) if a song is a Lennon or a McCartney ... or at least if I can, the differences don't sound that jarring. On Revolver, I can't help but think "Lennon ... Lennon ... McCartney ..." as I listen to each song. Even Harrison's songs on Rubber Soul fit in (as does Taxman on Revolver).

So I voted Rubber Soul.
Old 09-09-06, 04:13 PM

I voted Revolver. I just love the album. For whatever reason, I just can't get into Rubber Soul the way I can with Revolver.
Old 09-09-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still am picking Revolver, but man, it is SOOOO CLOSE!
Old 09-12-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Revolver is the first Beatles album that has a song for which I have no use - "Love You To". Take out that song (and "Tomorrow Never Knows") and substitute both sides of the "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" single, and then I'd like it better than Rubber Soul. As it is, I no longer have to make the choice - both albums will fit together on one CD-R.
I'm so glad that you weren't in charge of the Beatles while they were recording Revolver.
Old 09-12-06, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
"You Won't See Me" is one of the greatest songs ever recorded by the Beatles. Just listen to the harmonies, bass part and tambourine/drums.
Nice to see someone else that appreciates this song. Easily one of my favorites Beatles songs. Great background vocals.
Old 09-12-06, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
You gotta be kidding me...

The White Album? That album could be condensed to one disc and then it would compete with Rubber Soul/Revolver.
I'm so sick of this argument that half of the White Album is filler. Maybe I'm just one of those people that "gets" the album, but I stand by the opinion that every single track on the album is great, even songs like Wild Honey Pie. It is such an eclectic album, but to me it flows so well and really feels cohesive. I think the tension between the band members reflected in the eclecticism makes for their most interesting and ultimately fulfilling listen. You just can't beat songs like Dear Prudence and Sexy Sadie. Nothing on Rubber Soul or Revolver touches those.
Old 07-18-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rubber Soul is definitely the more "commercial" album, with songs that can appeal to both young and old alike. Its ironic that this album was the one chosen not to have any singles released, considering that many could have went to #1: Michelle and In My Life, particularily.

My vote is for Rubber Soul being the better album, and not because of the two songs I mentioned, but because it has great songs that weren't played to death on the radio. I've Just Seen A Face is generally overlooked by fans, and the album has one of my personal favorite songs: I'm Looking Through You (in which Ringo played that weird instrument, so I once heard). Songs like You Won't See Me, Norwegian Wood, and Girl I knew from getting the Blue and Red albums in 1993, and always liked them a lot. I'm recently discovering and appreciating the aforementioned I've Just Seen A Face, in addition to The Word, It's Only Love, and Wait (which I heard was originally recorded for an earlier album but was left off because the Beatles thought it wasn't good enough. They included it on Rubber Soul because the album was too short, but I think its a great song). The only tunes I think are just so-so are Think For Yourself and Run For Your Life (although, out of those two, Think For Yourself is better).

Revolver I'm just starting to discover, and what a discovery it is! Obviously I knew Yellow Submarine and Got To Get You Into My Life, but in the past I've skipped past all the other songs because they either didn't impress me right away, or because I didn't give it a chance. But now, whew! I'm really loving I'm Only Sleeping and And Your Bird Can Sing (which Lennon panned as being one of his worst creations, but it goes to show that you shouldn't listen to an artist's own opinion). I still can't get into Taxman or Tomorrow Never Knows, and Doctor Robert is slowly growing on me (I appreciate the guitars, but not so hot on the words). I always disliked Eleanor Rigby, and think that both Here, There and Everywhere and Good Day Sunshine are not up to my Beatle Standard.
Old 07-18-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buttmunker, seems to me you've got the American version of "Rubber Soul" instead of the UK. "I've Just Seen a Face" and "It's Only Love" were both originally on "Help!".
Old 07-19-07, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Rubber Soul is definitely the more "commercial" album, with songs that can appeal to both young and old alike. Its ironic that this album was the one chosen not to have any singles released, considering that many could have went to #1: Michelle and In My Life, particularily.

My vote is for Rubber Soul being the better album, and not because of the two songs I mentioned, but because it has great songs that weren't played to death on the radio. I've Just Seen A Face is generally overlooked by fans, and the album has one of my personal favorite songs: I'm Looking Through You (in which Ringo played that weird instrument, so I once heard). Songs like You Won't See Me, Norwegian Wood, and Girl I knew from getting the Blue and Red albums in 1993, and always liked them a lot. I'm recently discovering and appreciating the aforementioned I've Just Seen A Face, in addition to The Word, It's Only Love, and Wait (which I heard was originally recorded for an earlier album but was left off because the Beatles thought it wasn't good enough. They included it on Rubber Soul because the album was too short, but I think its a great song). The only tunes I think are just so-so are Think For Yourself and Run For Your Life (although, out of those two, Think For Yourself is better).

Revolver I'm just starting to discover, and what a discovery it is! Obviously I knew Yellow Submarine and Got To Get You Into My Life, but in the past I've skipped past all the other songs because they either didn't impress me right away, or because I didn't give it a chance. But now, whew! I'm really loving I'm Only Sleeping and And Your Bird Can Sing (which Lennon panned as being one of his worst creations, but it goes to show that you shouldn't listen to an artist's own opinion). I still can't get into Taxman or Tomorrow Never Knows, and Doctor Robert is slowly growing on me (I appreciate the guitars, but not so hot on the words). I always disliked Eleanor Rigby, and think that both Here, There and Everywhere and Good Day Sunshine are not up to my Beatle Standard.
Not liking Eleanor Rigby is heresy, I say. That's one of the very best Beatles songs ever.
Old 07-19-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by polietilen
Not liking Eleanor Rigby is heresy, I say. That's one of the very best Beatles songs ever.
Aw, even as a kid, I thought it was a fuddy-duddy song. Fact is, for better or worse, there's no Beatles playing that song. Only Paul singing, and an orchestra or whatever for music. At least on Yesterday, Paul strummed an acoustic guitar.
Old 07-19-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Revolver.
Old 07-19-07, 02:46 PM

Aw, even as a kid, I thought it was a fuddy-duddy song. Fact is, for better or worse, there's no Beatles playing that song. Only Paul singing, and an orchestra or whatever for music. At least on Yesterday, Paul strummed an acoustic guitar.
I'll give you it's a Beatles song in name only, but as a song per se, I find it haunting and incredibly moving. I also happen to like songs with character stories in it, which is another big reason why I like it so much.

At least I hope that you agree Yesterday it's an incredible song as well.
Old 07-19-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still can't get into Taxman or Tomorrow Never Knows, and Doctor Robert is slowly growing on me (I appreciate the guitars, but not so hot on the words). I always disliked Eleanor Rigby, and think that both Here, There and Everywhere and Good Day Sunshine are not up to my Beatle Standard.
Tomorrow - I really like this one ... just the beginning with -

Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream,
It is not dying, it is not dying

And Here, There I do like a lot as well. Good Day is "okay".

I will not say anything about Eleanor
Old 07-19-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still can't get into Taxman or Tomorrow Never Knows
Two of my favorite Beatle songs.
Doctor Robert is slowly growing on me (I appreciate the guitars, but not so hot on the words).
Terrible song, IMO.
I always disliked Eleanor Rigby, and think that both Here, There and Everywhere and Good Day Sunshine are not up to my Beatle Standard.
Old 07-19-07, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Flashback
Tomorrow - I really like this one ... just the beginning with -

Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream,
It is not dying, it is not dying

And Here, There I do like a lot as well. Good Day is "okay".

I will not say anything about Eleanor
Most definitely agree about how great are those first 2 verses. It totally immerses you into that song.

By the way, Chemical Brothers' "Setting Sun" homaged this song in such a great way that everytime I listen to the Beatles song it always conjures up the Chemical track in my mind. In fact, I have it stuck in my head as I'm writing this.

Well, gotta go put on the Dig Your Own Hole album.

Last edited by polietilen; 07-19-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by polietilen
At least I hope that you agree Yesterday it's an incredible song as well.
yes, Yesterday is an incredible song.