Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Mozart CDs for 70 cents each at Amazon - but the catch is ...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-04-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

.... you have to buy 170 of 'em! It's a "complete Mozart" set discussed in today's NY Times:

"It is a complete edition of Mozart's works, 170 CD's in color-coded paper sleeves: aquamarine for opera, purple for sacred works, orange for concertos, yellow for symphonies and so on. Inside the top of the container is a list of contents, like the descriptions of nuts and creams in a chocolate box. Program notes and texts fill a separate CD-ROM.
Issued by a small Dutch label, Brilliant Classics, "Mozart Edition, Complete Works" coincides, naturally, with the (grit teeth here) 250th anniversary of that composer's birth. The celebration has been exhaustively chronicled; consider this a last gasp of commem-o-philia.
The set's list price is $150, and it sells for $120 on Amazon.com, or about 70 cents a disc."

http://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Amade...e=UTF8&s=music

Last edited by marty888; 09-04-06 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-04-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got a Mozart CD in the mail which was part of a CD mailing club. it sounds amazing..but i could never listen to a 169 more!!!
Old 09-04-06, 02:33 PM

Ever since I started listening to hi-res classical recordings (DVD-A and SACD), I have yet to go back to redbook. This looks like a nice set to get your feet wet with Mozart, but I wish there was some more info as far as who the recordings were by.
Old 09-04-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fliggil
This looks like a nice set to get your feet wet with Mozart, but I wish there was some more info as far as who the recordings were by.
There's some info to be found in the customer reviews at Amazon.
Old 09-05-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"The legendary Philips edition - The Complete Compact Mozart Edition is reissued in time for the 2006 anniversary. Originally released in 2001, this 180-CD collection contains Mozart's complete oeuvre and has proven to be the most successful edition in the history of the recording industry. The massive undertaking of recording the 45 volumes was preceded by years of preparation and included many recordings of pieces that had never previously seen the light of day! The hard labour, love and devotion that had been put into this brave and ambitious project would never have been possible without the inspiration that the world's most beloved composer had given to so many of the people involved."

http://www.mozartforever.com/complete_mozart.php
Old 09-05-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is an 'authoritative performance' of a classical recording?
And I agree, buying 170 disks at once would be overwhelming in terms of being exposed to it. However, this would probably be a great purchase for a school or a library or something.
Old 09-05-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dtcarson
What is an 'authoritative performance' of a classical recording?
And I agree, buying 170 disks at once would be overwhelming in terms of being exposed to it. However, this would probably be a great purchase for a school or a library or something.
Old 09-05-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No kazoos = no sale.