Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Hear 'n Aid - 'Stars'

Old 09-03-06, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hear 'n Aid - 'Stars'

Who remembers this heavy metal version of 'We Are the World'/ 'Do They Know It's Chistmas?

For the resident guitarists..... Lynch, Malmsteen, Schon and Campbell are particularly great in regards to tone, phrasing and note selection on this recording.
I'm also a big fan of Brad Gillis and his whammy bar work on this effort.

Halford, Dio and Tate really impress wth their vocals.
If you don't care for killer 80's guitar music or big hair epic power ballads you may want to move on.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K8eutqgiG1U

Last edited by JumpCutz; 09-03-06 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-03-06, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here a version of the same video where they put at the bottom of the screen who's singing or playing guitar. http://youtube.com/watch?v=qZktrrqT1A0

I love this song, so much rock talent in one room it's so awesome. That's why I love rock and metal then so much better than rock now, everyone in that video is a rock star. If they did the same thing today with current bands, who would care? does anyone even know who the guitar players from Seether, Godsmack, Fuel or Staind are?
Old 09-03-06, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had the 45 single and the Video. People make fun of this but I think it was a very cool thing they did. It was no less important than the American "We are the World" or the UK's "Do they know it's Christmas".

The production was spot on, the solos were great, and the gathering of artists was a good mix old and new.

My favorite part was Adrian Smith and Dave Murray of Iron Maiden playing the guitar melody.
Old 09-03-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember it from back when i was in high school and being i loved metal it was like christmas for me
Old 09-03-06, 10:35 AM
Banned

It was great, that's for damn sure. I wish that "making of" VHS was out on DVD!!!
Old 09-03-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Stars" is a great song - the singers all give fantastic performances, and the guitar players lay down what may be the best collective solo of the 80's!

Basically, it's a really good DIO song with a lot of great guests!
Old 09-04-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That video and song is so fricking awseome, so much talent i love almost every musical act in that video, i so agree with the post earlier on not knowing the names of the guitarist today compared to yesteryear, god i never even thought about it but it's so true.