DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Bands where every member sings...the few and the proud (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/476042-bands-where-every-member-sings-few-proud.html)

Michael Corvin 08-30-06 07:49 AM

Bands where every member sings...the few and the proud

So I was listening to Lacuna Coil the other day and this question popped up. There can't be that many, but what bands feature songs sung by every member of the band? Lacuna Coil has a dual vocalist style which is a nice change of pace, but not the full band. So what happened to this rare breed of band? I couldn't come up with any recent bands that have tried this(White Stripes? maybe, but only two band members is kind of a cheat).

First off, I'm referring to BANDS, i.e. where a musical instrument is the band member's primary focus, singing comes second. So you can check your boy bands, R&B artists, rappers, and produced acts at the door. I also want to restrict this to bands where the members each were featured as a lead on at least one song, not just back-up singing.

the Beatles obviously the most well known as each member had a hit song where they were featured as the lead singer with the Beatles and all eventually went on to solo careers.

the Eagles
probably second up in my opinion, as all went on to decent solo careers as well.

KISS comes third. At least the original lineup. Each member has their own style of song and it really shows and is easy to tell which member is the focus just by the music.

So who else is out there? I know I have to be missing a few.

maxfisher 08-30-06 09:09 AM

Does every member of Gomez sing? I know at least most of them have sang lead.

If you count singing at concerts, I'm pretty U2 would make the cut.

Gdrlv 08-30-06 09:10 AM

Phish

woofman 08-30-06 09:11 AM

Nickel Creek: They are a class act, harmonies that warm the soul.

I just got an email saying they are going on "indefinite hiatus" at the end of 2007 to pursue other projects. Should I be happy or sad....

wendersfan 08-30-06 09:49 AM

Probably doesn't count, but Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young had four vocalists. I think everybody in The Band, save Garth Hudson, sang lead at least a little.

The trick, of course, is finding bands where the drummer sings lead.

dglaser6 08-30-06 09:50 AM

csny

also, the band had everyone but garth singing (80%), so that's close enough for me.

wendersfan 08-30-06 10:25 AM

Is there an echo in here? :lol:

mdc3000 08-30-06 10:29 AM

SLOAN - all 4 members sing.

MATT

Duh Vuh Duh 08-30-06 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Phish

Is there a song Fishman sings that I'm forgetting? :hscratch:

Duh Vuh Duh 08-30-06 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by woofman
Nickel Creek: They are a class act, harmonies that warm the soul.

I just got an email saying they are going on "indefinite hiatus" at the end of 2007 to pursue other projects. Should I be happy or sad....

The selfish side of me says be sad, one of the best bands ever. :(

However, the non-selfish side of me says if they've been playing for 17 years together and they are only in their mid to late twenties, they deserve a break.

Going to have to see them everytime they are even close now.

Liver&Onions 08-30-06 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
SLOAN - all 4 members sing.

MATT

Yup, I was going to mention that one.

cungar 08-30-06 10:58 AM

Well the Who fit in this category before Keith and then John died. Keith sang a part in Bellboy and few other songs. Check out his atrocious singing on Barbara Ann in The Kids are Alright. I didn't say he sang well.

Giles 08-30-06 11:08 AM

Polyphonic Spree - :D

Rocketdog2000 08-30-06 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

the Eagles
probably second up in my opinion, as all went on to decent solo careers as well.

Not quite sure, but did original guitarist Bernie Leadon actually sing any tunes? It's been a while since I listened to any of the early Eagles albums, so maybe someone else knows. Other than that, everone else who was a memeber of the band - Don Henley, Glen Frey, Randy Meisner, Don Felder, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmidt - all did.

Man, this is a tough challenge. Other than some of the bands already listed, I'm having a hard time thinking of any. I keep coming up with some that are close...
Queen - with bassist John Deacon being the only memeber who didn't sing occasionally.
Cheap Trick - where only drummer Bun E. Carlos hasn't sang lead vocal on a song; or depending on which time period it was, neither did bassist Jon Brant or Pete Comita.
Styx - where you had Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw and J.T. Young (and in later days, Glen Burtnik and Larry Gowan) all as possible vocalists, and only the rhythm section brothers (I forget their names) being the only ones who didn't sing lead.

And of course, there are plenty of bands that had at least two prominent singers, even if one was the drummer (Kelly Keagy in Night Ranger, for example), that don't meet the criteria, either.

Maybe Buffalo Tom, but I'm going to have to re-check that.

Talkin2Phil 08-30-06 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by cungar
Well the Who fit in this category before Keith and then John died. Keith sang a part in Bellboy and few other songs. Check out his atrocious singing on Barbara Ann in The Kids are Alright. I didn't say he sang well.

also, Tommy and A Quick One While He's Away

wendersfan 08-30-06 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Not quite sure, but did original guitarist Bernie Leadon actually sing any tunes?

Eagles' songs with Bernie Leadon on Lead Vocals:

* Train Leaves Here This Morning from Eagles,
* Earlybird from Eagles,
* Twenty-One from Desperado,
* Bitter Creek from Desperado,
* My Man from On the Border,
* On the Border - co-lead vocal in the bridge - from On the Border,
* I Wish You Peace from One of These Nights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Leadon

I wouldn't have had a clue myself.

Mordred 08-30-06 11:49 AM

Not sure if you'd count Def Leppard as they only have one lead vocalist (even though Phil Collen occasionally sings), but the rest of the band (and the occasional producer) contributes harmonies regularly to the songs.

nodeerforamonth 08-30-06 11:59 AM

Dillinger Four has 3 singers.

The Pixies have two singers. As do the Goo Goo Dolls (though you'd never know it by the singles the record company picks). Same for Soul Asylum.

Gdrlv 08-30-06 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Is there a song Fishman sings that I'm forgetting? :hscratch:

He sings Legthwise, Faht and the verses on Moma Dance. He's also lead vocalist on tons of their covers...Cracklin' Rosie, Crosseyed & Painless, Love You, Bike, Terrapin, Touch Me, If I Only Had a Brain, Purple Rain, the Great Gig in the Sky, and probably many more I'm missing...

DRG 08-30-06 12:13 PM

The Beach Boys? At least in the original incarnation they each all had songs where they did lead vocals, and they played instruments.

Fleetwood Mac is close... at least three of the members (from the Rumours heyday) sang lead at various times and had solo hits.

Michael Corvin 08-30-06 12:22 PM

yeah, I was thinking Beach Boys as well but I wasn't sure. This has tunred into an interesting little thread. :)

cungar 08-30-06 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
The Beach Boys? At least in the original incarnation they each all had songs where they did lead vocals, and they played instruments.

Fleetwood Mac is close... at least three of the members (from the Rumours heyday) sang lead at various times and had solo hits.

This thread is quickly going from all members to 60%. Read the thread heading, folks. It says every member.

BDB 08-30-06 01:28 PM

Boyz II Men!
The Spice Girls
N'Sync
Backstreet Boys.

obscurelabel 08-30-06 01:36 PM

Moby Grape

nodeerforamonth 08-30-06 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Boyz II Men!
The Spice Girls
N'Sync
Backstreet Boys.

From the original post: "First off, I'm referring to BANDS, i.e. where a musical instrument is the band member's primary focus, singing comes second. So you can check your boy bands, R&B artists, rappers, and produced acts at the door. I also want to restrict this to bands where the members each were featured as a lead on at least one song, not just back-up singing."