DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Where are you buying music currently? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/475871-where-you-buying-music-currently.html)

kvrdave 08-28-06 06:31 PM

Where are you buying music currently?

For some odd reason I want the soundtrack to Sky High. But it ain't worth $14 to me. It isn't on yourmusic (nor is much else, so I dropped them), and most every other place seems pretty high as well. I could go iTunes for $9.99, but I really prefer to have a read copy.

So, where do you currently buy your stuff?

BDB 08-28-06 06:41 PM

iTunes for the most part. any imports I can't track down I'll order from cd-wow

Giantrobo 08-28-06 07:21 PM

http://www.secondspin.com/music/prod...jsp?id=2531711

I love secondspin.com They also pay well for used stuff.

kvrdave 08-28-06 10:42 PM

Thanks. Anyone else? Does secondspin do coupons often? I don't really ever sell stuff...not sure why. I don't buy a huge amount to begin with, so that may be it.

Tscott 08-28-06 11:07 PM

yourmusic (if they have something I want, the price can't be beat)
eMusic (I'm trying it for the second time, but I hate not owning the real CDs)
Amazon marketplace (great deals to be found on used and new items, haven't had a problem yet)
newburycomics.com (some good prices and some ok prices)
Borders (usually when I've got Borders rewards coupon that applies)
Best Buy (when I absolutely need it in my hands today and they happen to somehow carry the CD I want)

kvrdave 08-28-06 11:25 PM

I'm gonna try lala to get it. I don't have lots to trade, but apparently someone needs my William Shatner cd. :lol: Even I can't listen to it.

mitsuman 08-29-06 12:50 AM

I don't like itunes as I would prefer to have a physical copy and not compressed to 128k AAC. I also like my stuff to be new. Lately, I've been using DDD's counterpart: DeepDiscountcd. Their prices are typically low(est) and free shipping of course. This particular title is $12 on Deepdiscountcd.

Gigantopithecus 08-29-06 01:54 AM

i mostly buy from local record stores such as.....http://www.amoebamusic.com/

they dont have an online store though.

mndtrp 08-29-06 02:45 AM

Either lala.com, or a local store Angelo's.

maxfisher 08-29-06 05:05 AM

For back catalog stuff, I've been doing a lot with lala.com. I've picked up around 15 or 20 cds through them this year. If I'm looking for a new release, I usually go to Best Buy. As much as I'd prefer not to patronize them, my Best Buy has gotten a lot better about carrying smaller/independent bands and I can usually get them release week for $5 to $7 cheaper than I'd pay if I went to my local record stores. That said, for stuff they don't get in, I head over to Luna (www.lunamusic,net), which is as good of an independent record store as I've ever been in.

Josh-da-man 08-29-06 05:23 AM

BMG for most stuff.

Otherwise it's Target/Best Buy/Circuit City for new releases.

JAA 08-29-06 07:03 AM

yourmusic.com
half.com
deepdiscountcd.com

Giles 08-29-06 08:12 AM

Amazon marketplace
amazon.co.uk
action records (UK)
cdwow

Cosmic Bus 08-29-06 09:14 AM

Borders (employee discount)
CD-Wow (imports)
Lala (used/trades)
Direct from bands' websites (preorder bonuses, extra goodies)

I'll stop by a few of the used shops when I go across the lake to Vermont, as well. There aren't any worthwhile local shops to support in my immediate area, unfortunately.

wendersfan 08-29-06 09:16 AM

Normally I just go to my friend's music store, close to campus.

The Bus 08-29-06 10:03 AM

Heh... Amoeba a "local record store"... :lol:

I'm sure it's local to you but if I lived within a day's driving distance of LA (or any other of its locations) I'd go there once a month.

I prefer to support my local shop when possible. They still act and operate the way they did ten years ago, which I take it more as they're doing well and don't need to change. The other two shops around here... One sorta dried up and the other one tried all sorts of crazy stuff (books and a cafe, DVDs, etc) but still hasn't found a good mix. The one I like is Bert's and they do a great job of not packing the store with filler. If it's good, they'll have it. If not, they won't. The clerks are also genuinely nice. I remember about ten years ago I walked in and the clerk overheard me mention being excited for Odelay! and he put in the store's advance copy. This was a good 2-3 months before the album came out. I also get free promo or story copy CDs every once in a while. :up:

AND... prices are reasonable.

tonyc3742 08-29-06 10:20 AM

when I do buy cds:
lala
yourmusic [yes, their selection's not great, but if they've got somethign I want, I'll resub and get it then cancel]
deepdiscountcd
occasionally amazon, if they've got the best price.

I'm not much into 'new'/popular music, and we don't have any 'small' stores around here. I'm not much into itunes either, like has been said, I don't want to pay a dollar a track for 128 aac, when everything else I have is a higher bitrate [or VBR] mp3.

edytwinky 08-29-06 12:50 PM

deepdiscountcd

Mr. Cinema 08-29-06 12:55 PM

the big corporate stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. They usually run $10 deals all the time on stuff I like.

Canis Firebrand 08-29-06 12:56 PM

I've been buying my music lately either on iTunes, for individual songs and lala.com for cds.

Sometimes, I'll purchase a cd on iTunes, if it is cheaper then other places or comes with something extra/exclusive to iTunes.

saoirse 08-29-06 01:05 PM

I'll second lala.com

fernsita 08-29-06 01:34 PM

itunes, but they always seem to lack some of the music i am looking for, especially the less well-known, older stuff that i like!

Gigantopithecus 08-29-06 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Heh... Amoeba a "local record store"... :lol:

I'm sure it's local to you but if I lived within a day's driving distance of LA (or any other of its locations) I'd go there once a month.

im about 10 minutes from the Amoeba on Haight St. i practically live there.

atlantamoi 08-29-06 04:31 PM

Lately Lala and Amazon (Marketplace). I'd go nuts on BMG/YourMusic if they only had the titles I want.

Lateralus 08-29-06 05:56 PM

Where ever has them on sale, usually Best Buy, Kmart or Walmart. I will not pay over $9.99 for a CD.... ever.