Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Iron Maiden - New Album/Tour Sept/Oct 2006!

Old 08-13-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Iron Maiden - New Album/Tour Sept/Oct 2006!

Iron Maiden's new album will be out on September 5th, and so far they've got 3 songs up on ironmaiden.com - and they sound really good. The new album will be called A Matter of Life and Death - and it seems to be a little more aggressive (and better produced) than Dance of Death.

So far, I'm really digging "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns," and "The Resurrection of Benjamin Breeg," as much as anything they've ever done, and the third song, "Different World," is pretty darned good as well (and is really growing on me).

They're doing a short North American tour as well in October, and tickets have been selling very well. If this tour is half as good as their last headlining tour it should be great.
Old 08-13-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah the show for Verizon in Orange County CA on 10/21 went on sale Saturday. I have to work that night so I'll have to pass. I'm hoping they shoot back around next year. They've been doing that for years so I'll probably catch them at that point.
Old 08-13-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=468257
Old 08-13-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
That's nice.

Now lets talk about the upcoming tour...

My expectations are high - their tour in 2003 was simply amazing. Maiden is a band that gets better with age. The new material should work really well live as well.

(The three songs I've heard are among the best they've done since Bruce and Adrian rejoined the band, and they have a bit of an edge to them that will translate well to the concert setting.)
Old 08-13-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah the show for Verizon in Orange County CA on 10/21 went on sale Saturday. I have to work that night so I'll have to pass. I'm hoping they shoot back around next year. They've been doing that for years so I'll probably catch them at that point.
They're seriously cutting back on their touring schedule these days, so I don't know if they'll be back next year or not. Bruce will probably be busy working on another solo album, and then the band will go back into the studio late in 2007 or early 2008 for another new album.

You may find that you're not feeling well on 10/21, and you may have to call in sick to work...
Old 08-13-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only song I have heard so far is the Benjamin Breeg song and I thought is was very average. I'll check the other 2 out. I hope they are better.
Old 08-13-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
That's nice.

I was just covering what has already been discussed.
Old 08-14-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I get that, but the other thread was basically a question, "Is Maiden recording a new album?" It's outdated/obsolete and doesn't address the tour.

What I'm discussing here is how good the album is, and how well the songs will translate live - and just the general, "Iron Maiden's on tour!" kind of thing.

cdollaz - "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" is just a monster of a song. "Different World" is good, and is a solid, uptempo album opener. I have a feeling this is a true album, where the collection of songs works better as a unit than as separate songs (although I'm very impressed with what I've heard so far as individual songs). I think this album will translate live better than Dance of Death did, and perhaps even better than Brave New World.
Old 08-14-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I listened to the other 2 new songs and they don't do a whole lot for me. Not necessarily bad, just kinda there. Nothing special and none of the 3 would be good enough to even be on any of the albums from Number thru Seventh Son. Hopefully there is some stuff on the album that is classic and grabs me, kinda like some of the Brave New World stuff did.
Old 08-15-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's nice.

Old 08-16-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll tell you what, the more I listen to "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns," the more I like it. At this point I'd have to say it just fits in my 20 favorite Maiden songs - it's so damned powerful and has a killer 7/4 riff in the verse that is just phenomenal.

I really hope that they play that one live.
Old 08-16-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw them last year at OzzFest. They put on one hell of a show. The Number of the Beast is by far their best (yes, maybe overplayed) song live.
Old 08-19-06, 02:26 PM

I only caught a snippet of their new single on the radio a week or so ago - didn't know that there were complete tracks on their website.

Very excited for this new CD - lots of good music (for me at least) is coming out next month.

Have a feeling that this new one will be listened to quite a bit.
Old 08-30-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have now heard the entire album (I listened to it twice), and I've got to say - It's the best Maiden album since Somewhere In Time back in '86!

A Matter of Life and Death is their heaviest, most progressive album ever, and it is just amazing to listen to. Whereas in the past they have had a tendency (mostly in the 90's) to be overly repetitive, on this album that is a rarity - very few songs have parts that become repetitive, and just when you think you've got a song figured out they take it somewhere else (some of the riffs are monsterous, while other parts are melancholy and melodic).

Honestly, I hope they play at least 5 of these songs live ("Brighter Than A Thousand Suns," "The Longest Day," "Lord of Light," "These Colours Don't Run," and "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg"), and if they played 6 I wouldn't be unhappy - even at the expense of dropping some of the older songs (give The Trooper a rest on this tour).

I can't wait to pick up the CD, and I really can't wait to see the show!
Old 08-30-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I need to listen to it a few more times. So far it hasn't blown me away like that.
Old 08-31-06, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

They're seriously cutting back on their touring schedule these days, so I don't know if they'll be back next year or not. Bruce will probably be busy working on another solo album, and then the band will go back into the studio late in 2007 or early 2008 for another new album.

You may find that you're not feeling well on 10/21, and you may have to call in sick to work...
Yeah my boss is pretty cool so I kinda gave him a head's up about needing to have someone cover for me. So we'll see.
Old 08-31-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I guess I need to listen to it a few more times. So far it hasn't blown me away like that.
Me either. I've really only given it 1 solid listen though and right now I am trying it out in my car. I've been reading comparisons to Seventh Son and I don't see that at all. Sounds like continuation of Dance Of Death to me. Too many long, progressive songs that just meander and don't really go anywhere and not enough riffs. Off the top of my head, my faves so far are These Colours Don't Run, The Greater Good Of God, The Pilgrim, and Lord Of Light.
Old 09-03-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On each album from No Prayer For The Dying onward there were always one or two (in some cases three or four) songs that I didn't really like.

That isn't true of A Matter Of Life And Death. I like all of them this time. While only a couple of the songs fit into my all time top 20 Iron Maiden songs ("The Longest Day," and "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns") this is a cohesive album where all the songs are good and work well together. It's strength isn't necessarily in the 2 or 3 standout tracks (like on Powerslave or Somewhere in Time, etc), it's in the collective strength.

I mean, Piece Of Mind is my favorite Maiden album, but I really don't like "To Tame A Land" much at all, and "Quest For Fire" is just OK - but the strength of POM is that it has 5 outstanding tracks! ("Where Eagles Dare," "Revelations," "Flight of Icarus," "Die With Your Boots On," "The Trooper," and "Still Life.") A Matter Of Life And Death is solid from top to bottom, and the songs have great depth to them, so they tend to grow on you.

I also think that many (if not all) of them will translate VERY well live....
Old 09-05-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just picked it up for $8.99 at Best Buy (used Circuit City's ad to PM).
Old 09-05-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did Dave Murray get a face lift?! His face looks tighter than Joan Rivers'.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 09-05-06 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what's the verdict on the new album?

Great, crap, or something in between?

I've read conflicting reviews...
Old 09-14-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm kind of torn on the album.

On the positive side, I think the songwriting is particularly strong this time out; quite possibly very near the standards they set in the mid-80s. And the cover art is a definite improvement over "Dance of Death." (But I'm a Tim Bradstreet fan, so I might be biased.)

On the downside, I think the album is marred by poor production. In particular, Bruce's vocals seem to have gotten lost in the mix. Seems like the music is always drowning him out. I'm not sure if time has weakened his voice and the production was trying to hide it, or if it's some kind of passive-aggressive thing (like AJFA) that they did because they're pissed off at his feud with Sharon Osbourne, or just a weak production that's trying to sound current.
Old 09-14-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A Matter of Life and Death has entered the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart:

AT #9!!!

Their highest charting album ever. Of course, the charts are completely different now with SoundScan than they were back in the 80's, but it's still quite an accomplishment!

AMOLAD is definitely an album that grows on you. Production-wise, I think it's their best sounding album since Powerslave. (I thought the guitars were a little too fuzzy and slightly muddy on Somewhere In Time, and I HATED the guitar tones on Seventh Son - even muddier than SIT! The snare drum sounds GREAT on AMOLAD, and the guitar and bass tones are very good. Bruce's place in the mix depends on the song. There were a few songs where they didn't want the vocals to overshadow the music, so the vocals were pulled back just a bit in the mix - and they've actually done that several times in the past, even back in the 80's.)

My favorite songs at this point are "The Longest Day," "For the Greater Good of God," "These Colours Don't Run," and "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns." The only track on the album that I think is merely good is "Lord of Light." I think all the rest are very good or great.

And ticket sales have been really strong as well. 2006 is looking like a high water mark in Maiden's career!
Old 09-26-06, 10:51 PM
Banned by request

I finally bought this at Best Buy (their 2-disc set is still cheaper than the standalone disc), and I like it a lot. The first two songs sound like rejects from Brand New World, but starting with Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, the album takes off. Great music and awesome lyrics. You can tell the whole band really had strong ties to the material.

My biggest problem is the goddamned production. Talk about muddy. The guitars sound like sludge, with no bite whatsoever. Bruce gets overpowered by the muck several times. I'm trying to tell myself it's an intentional move to try and bring about feelings of the confusion of war, but that justification doesn't make me enjoy the sound of it anymore.

Still, the music is so good I can overlook the production.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-26-06 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-27-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I finally bought this at Best Buy (their 2-disc set is still cheaper than the standalone disc), and I like it a lot. The first two songs sound like rejects from Brand New World, but starting with Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, the album takes off. Great music and awesome lyrics. You can tell the whole band really had strong ties to the material.

My biggest problem is the goddamned production. Talk about muddy. The guitars sound like sludge, with no bite whatsoever. Bruce gets overpowered by the muck several times. I'm trying to tell myself it's an intentional move to try and bring about feelings of the confusion of war, but that justification doesn't make me enjoy the sound of it anymore.

Still, the music is so good I can overlook the production.

Wow, I never took you for a Maiden fan. You always seemed more like a "Coldplay" dude to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Anyway, I finally bought AMOLAD today too and so far I'm totally diggin' this album. Wow! Once again I'm reminded of why I've loved this band since the since early 80's.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.