Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

LaLa.com: CD swapping dirt cheap [part two]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

LaLa.com: CD swapping dirt cheap [part two]

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just joined lala.com last week. I have 5 shipped out and 6 on the way.

Great service!

= J
Old 08-03-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Anyone get any rare/OOP discs from Lala yet? So far I have gotten:

Old 08-03-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't but then i don't keep track of oop CDs. I did trade away a near mint Tori Amos single that the guy was ecstatic to get.
Old 08-03-06, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I traded my Arrested Development today.
I've never been a big fan of smilies, but that deserves nothing less than a

I can't believe it. You get some sort of medal.

Having said that, as an original mocker of the concept and then a joiner, I'll say that I've been converted. I've only sent away about 15 CDs (I don't have too many that I want to part with at the moment), but it's been a great service. It fills in the listening gaps that the library won't fill. And for me the biggest plus is the pre-paid envelopes -- sure, you might be able to get $5 for some of the CDs if sell them to a retailer like Spun, or a little more if you Half.com 'em, but once you factor in the shipping and handling and the time spent going to the post office if you're not sure of the weight, it's not worth it. I love being able to just put it in the envelope and dropping it (gently) in the mailbox.
Old 08-03-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Anyone get any rare/OOP discs from Lala yet?
I have gotten:

Robyn Hitchcock - I Often Dream of Trains
Cherry Vanilla - Bad Girl/Venus d'Vinyl
Joe Strummer - Earthquake Weather
V/A - Valley Girl: More Music From The Soundtrack
Hindu Love Gods - Hindu Love Gods
Spoon - Telephono
Whiskeytown - Rural Free Delivery

I believe these are all OOP. Not all came with the full artwork (or in some cases any), but at least discs play.
Old 08-03-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
As far as rare/OOP cd's go, I've received nothing so far. However, someone just shipped me "Tarantism" by Tito & Tarantula which is currently only available as an expensive import on amazon.com as far as I can tell and I'm greatly looking forward to getting it.

Michael
Old 08-07-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Odd coincidences:

Last Tuesday, I shipped a CD to someone named Mary in New York City.
Last Friday, I shipped a CD to Mary's next door neighbor.
Today, I shipped a second CD to Mary.

That apartment floor is going to be rockin' out to Shai, Hammer, and Arrested Development very shortly...
I'm shipping a third CD to Mary. C+C Music Factory is going out today. This can't be a coincidence. I don't understand it, but I'm grateful that someone wants my crap.

The odd thing about it is that I went from being able to ship 0 to being able to ship 5 things in one refresh. I'm wondering if all those things were requested by Mary also? That would be a pretty amazing coincidence, though, since I only have 13 other things available. Surely one person can't want all of this crap. No complaints from me though...
Old 08-08-06, 10:55 PM

WOW am I late to join, but I signed up last night, threw up about 25 cd's I have zero interest in and had about 20 I wanted off the top of my head and I already have 5 trades (2 outgoing and 3 incoming). Pretty amazing. Thanks to everyone and particularly the OP. Also if you are looking for some less than stellar CD's check out my username.
Old 08-09-06, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I signed up, under mndtrp, although I haven't put anything up for trade yet. I have to go dig my cd's out of storage first. But, after that, I'll finally get rid of that stupid Dance Mix '98 album.
Old 08-09-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if else really finds this interesting or not, but today I shipped two more CDs to Mary (for a total of five unrelated CDs), and I'm pretty sure that I just barely missed out on shipping a sixth CD. For those keeping score at home, I've now shipped these to Mary:
Shai
Arrested Development
C+C Music Factory
Boomerang Soundtrack
Vanessa Williams

And to her next door neighbor, I sent a Hammer CD.
Old 08-09-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mary kicks butt and need to check out my collection.
Old 08-09-06, 08:26 PM
Banned

lala is a good site to get rid of your shit.
Old 08-09-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by saoirse
Mary kicks butt and need to check out my collection.
Same here.
Old 08-09-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I just shipped the CD that I thought might also match Mary (En Vogue), but alas, it did not go to Mary. I only have one more early-90s CD available, and I don't think Mary wants it, so Mary and I probably won't match any more. Hopefully one of you can find the Mary Magic.
Old 08-09-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went on a Lala spree tonight, added a few CDs and now have four i'm shipping out tomorrow. Hopefully i can get a few in return since there are several i'm dying for.
Old 08-09-06, 10:52 PM

I've had a couple of traders get multiple CDs from me - one guy has gotten three, another four - and one guy who sent me several Luna albums, but it sounds like Mary is our reigning queen for now!

And I finally qualified for my second t-shirt the other day. Still haven't gotten my first one, but hopefully soon.
Old 08-09-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I suppose it is time to let my secret out of the bag and share it with the DVDTalk world. The secret (other than Mary) to being able to ship crappy titles that many other people want to ship...

Presenting LaLaWatch 1.0 for Windows

To use it:
- Edit the INI (or use the GUI, but the INI has descriptions of the settings) to change the cookie setting. You will need to look at your browser's cookies to find the correct value. For Firefox on XP, the default location is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random string.default\cookies.txt. For IE on XP, C:\Documents and Settings\username\Cookies. Other browsers/OSes may have other locations for cookies.
- If you use something other than Firefox, you'll want to change ActionToTake to something else
- Change the number of beeps and beep length if desired
- Change any other settings that you might need to change.
- Test it by adding a CD that you know could be shipped immediately if you want (Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere is what I used). If you set everything up correctly, you should get a beep, a message, and a lala browser window within 15 seconds. Be sure to remove your test CD from the list, assuming you don't really want to ship it.

Note:
- If you sign out of LaLa, the a1 value is deleted from the cookie. Sign back in and then you'll see it in your cookie.
- If you don't choose to have LaLa remember you when you login, you will not see the a1 value.
- If you don't choose to have LaLa remember you, you will also not be automatically taken to the Have Page when you can ship a CD, because LaLa will require you to log in.

History:
I created this thing a while back. It originally couldn't be distributed since it was hard-coded for all my settings. I eventually added the configuration and the GUI and now you see the result. I am hesitant to give it out, but I saw someone on the LaLa forums with a similar application, so I might as well give mine out too.

This is presented as is and provides no warranty whatsoever. I am not responsible if you manage to screw something up on your computer with it, but that shouldn't be possible. If you give it out to anyone else, please give out the original zip, and be sure to remove your cookie from the INI.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 08-10-06 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-10-06, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jeremy, that's cool! I'll definitely be leaving this on while I watch TV or am not on the computer, but closeby. Thanks.
Old 08-10-06, 07:15 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I got my t-shirt the other day. It has a little MOnday text on the front. Not a bad shirt.

I got myself up to many cds on the move. I have 11 out and 9 on their way in.

Yesterday I got 3 of them in, all Lorenna McKennet cds, her double cd live set and parallel dreams. All cds I've been wanting to get.

I've noticed that the lala plugin for itunes, etc notifies me when a cd on my have list is being requested. If I can get in there fast enough, I can usually ship out the cd.
Old 08-10-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Thanks Jeremy. Took about 3 unzips and restarts to finally figure it out, but I finally got it working.

Now here's hoping I find my "Mary."
Old 08-10-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Question... using LaLaWatch, do I still need to refresh my LaLa page? Or did I ever have to do that? I can't remember if the bubbles come up w/out needing to refresh.
Old 08-10-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Question... using LaLaWatch, do I still need to refresh my LaLa page? Or did I ever have to do that? I can't remember if the bubbles come up w/out needing to refresh.
You used to have to, but you don't with LaLaWatch. You don't even need any browsers open or anything. After it is configured properly, you can just start it up and ignore it until it tells you that you can ship.
Old 08-10-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great... thanks again Jeremy.
Old 08-10-06, 10:42 AM

Thanks Jeremy

I have a question. I've been having some trouble installing this (I'm not a computer genius), but I have made progress. I now get an error saying "failed to find magic phrase" Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 08-10-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You probably don't have the cookie set properly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.