Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to concerts being broadcast??

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-09-06, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was thinking about this on the way to work this morning. I remember in the 80's and 90's it was always a big deal for HBO or other networks to show concerts on TV. Also, Westwood One and other companies would broadcast shows on the air all over the country and the world. Today (at least to me) it seems like a rarity.

What brought this on is because I was thinking about how many of Madonna's Blonde Ambition concerts that were broadcast in 1990. There were 3 concerts filmed and 2 others were distributed by Westwood One.

Now, you're lucky if you get one concert from one tour. Was it just a fad? Is it over? HBO doesn't even do them any more. Anyone else miss this?
Old 08-09-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDs took over. so just download torrents of the concerts
Old 08-09-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Has anyone been to one of the movie theater concerts? I was wondering if it was catching on. I saw they had a Widespread Panic concert being broadcast at the local Cineplex. Pretty obscure band to choose if you ask me.
Old 08-09-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cungar
Has anyone been to one of the movie theater concerts? I was wondering if it was catching on. I saw they had a Widespread Panic concert being broadcast at the local Cineplex. Pretty obscure band to choose if you ask me.
Regal Entertainment Group's Big Screen Concerts? Occasionaly, they'll show concerts happening live (such as Phish -- which they later replayed due to popular demand), but a majority of the time, they'll play concerts that are about to hit DVD in an order to promote the DVD itself. I've only seen one Big Screen Concert event (the premiere of the concert/documentary film Coachella which ended up on DVD a few weeks later) and it was pretty much a glorified DVD screening, especially since Regal uses their crappy Christie digital projectors to broadcast such events.
Old 08-09-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
last one I remember seeing was Usher's final concert broadcast live on HBO or Showtime a few months ago
Old 08-09-06, 03:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been missing them too,

I liked that long gone MTV Live @ the Ten Spot series - when MTV actually broadcast 'music' - The Prodigy, Green Day, Radiohead.... (albeit censored for bad language).

HDNet has been showing some interesting concerts - from NYC's Summerstage series:
stellastarr* I recently saw.
A couple of days ago they showed a U2 'Live from Chicago' HiDef broadcast - I of course forgot to record it (kicks self repeatedly)

HDNet is doing later in the month (Aug) a Keane concert, and I think a V-Festival highlight show from the annual UK music fest.

PBS's Soundstage series had a recent airing of a KT Tunstall show. I missed Garbage's gig
Old 08-10-06, 09:24 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I read Kelly Clarkson will have an HBO concert in Feb 2007...
Old 08-10-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I saw the Phish one back in 04, it was a great time. From what i've heard that was the most viewed one of its type.
Old 08-10-06, 12:56 PM

oh here's some more info on the Keane HDNet broadcast:

Premiere!
Sun., Aug. 20th 9:00 PM ET
Keane - Live at the Aragon Ballroom Chicago - Almost a year from the release of their debut album Hopes and Fears, British band Keane perform at Chicago's Aragon Ballroom in front of 4,000 devoted fans. The album has now sold almost five million copies worldwide and the band has picked up a host of awards. The concert, shot by the acclaimed director Matthew Amos, perfectly captures the band's unique style and emotional performance. The show includes some great split screen images and features the hits "Everybody's Changing", "Somewhere Only We Know" and "Bedshaped," along with some brand new material.

REPEAT: Mon., Aug. 21st 12:00 AM ET Keane - Live at the Aragon Ballroom Chicago
Old 08-10-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, MTV isn't interested (remember how they handled Live8), but...

PBS' Austin City Limits & Soundstage are on almost every week with a good mix of younger & older artists. PBS also just recently aired a Bruce Springsteen concert of him doing Pete Seeger songs.

CMT still show Crossroads

GAC still has The Grand Ole Opry

Ovation has Later With Jools Holland & they play a lot of edited concert DVDs.

VH1 Classic plays an edited concert DVD every week & reruns their Decades Rock Live concerts over & over. The most recent was Elvis Costello with Fiona Apple, Death Cab for Cutie, & that dink singer from Green Day. The next one will have The Pretenders & guests.

Showtime has a channel called NEXT that plays concerts. The only one I've seen is a fantastic full length festival show of PJ Harvey from 2004.

Lollapalooza was online for free live. It was great to see Sleater-Kinney. I guess you can still watch some of it: http://blueroom.att.com/mainstage/index.php

You could also watch at least parts of Who concerts on their website as well.

Are there any currently touring artists big enough to warrant a big time special? Didn't U2 get their own primetime network special awhile back? & it seems like various country acts do occasionally, but I never pay attention. The last time I remember being interested in an HBO concert was the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame show in ... 95 or 96?
Old 08-10-06, 01:36 PM
Banned

Madonna will have her own special on NBC in November. Was wondering if any full concerts were being broadcast as a "huge deal" anytime soon. I remember the Blonde Ambition concert getting HUGE ratings when it first aired. Nothing big like that any more, it seems.
Old 08-10-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
As previously reported, DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy and guitarist John Petrucci filmed a few segments on August 3 to be aired on VH1 Classic's "Metal Mania" show at the end of the month. In addition to the interview spots, VH1 Classic will be airing a condensed version of the "Score" DVD for their Friday Night Concert Series, tentatively scheduled for Friday, August 25. More information will be made available soon.
Old 08-10-06, 01:59 PM
Banned

If only VH1 Classic wasn't compressed to all hell on every company that carries it.
Old 08-10-06, 01:59 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Clarkson set to headline HBO concert
LOS ANGELES, July 12 (UPI) -- Fox TV's first "American Idol," Kelly Clarkson, has been tapped by HBO for a live concert to be broadcast over the premium cable network.

HBO announced Wednesday it will broadcast Clarkson's Feb. 3 show at London's Wembley Arena, "Entertainment Tonight" reported.

Clarkson, 24, has two Grammy Awards under her belt and is currently touring the United States.

Her third album is due out around the time of the Wembley date.

"Kelly Clarkson is an electrifying performer who has taken the world of pop music by storm," HBO Chairman Chris Albrecht said in announcing the show. "I'm delighted to welcome this exciting star to HBO for what promises to be an unforgettable concert event."
http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah867.shtml
Old 08-10-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
I remember when MTV used to show concerts.

For Halloween 1987 the Headbanger's Ball played a whole Alice Cooper concert.

And also around that time they also ran a two hour Armored Saint, Grim Reaper, and Helloween concert.

I remember because I tried to record both concerts, and both of the Memorex VHS cassettes I used were defective and didn't record them properly.
Old 08-10-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Yes, HDNet and InHD show tons of concerts. Sometimes they'll show stuff before the DVD of that concert even comes out. Recent things I've watched on there is: U2, The Pixies, Black Crowes (the Fillmore show), Peter Gabriel, Velvet Revolver, Duran Duran, the Hives. HBO and Showtime still show concerts occasionally. I forget which, but one of these had a really good Trevor Horn tribute (with performances from Yes, Seal, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, ABC, Grace Jones, and more -- and of course the Buggles!).
Old 08-10-06, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
For Halloween 1987 the Headbanger's Ball played a whole Alice Cooper concert.
Did you know this was recently (I think) released on DVD? I do remember that show when it was aired.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
Old 08-10-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Comcast On Demand has a bunch of concerts in the Music section
Old 08-10-06, 06:12 PM

Kelly Clarkson will be coming to HBO early next year.
Old 08-10-06, 06:14 PM

And XM/Sirius broadcast concerts from time to time.
Old 08-11-06, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by hawk
And XM/Sirius broadcast concerts from time to time.
listened to an entertaining 'live' set from the Gin Blossoms on Flight 26 last Saturday night.
Old 08-11-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Voom had an all HDmusic channel with nothing but live concerts in HD. It was a killer channel.

I know Dish has it now, but I have no idea if the content has remained the same.
Old 08-11-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Voom had an all HDmusic channel with nothing but live concerts in HD. It was a killer channel.

I know Dish has it now, but I have no idea if the content has remained the same.
Yes they still have RaveHD, which shows a lot of live music from concerts and festivals.

http://www.voom.com/vhdo/rave/index.jsp

I do wish more bands would put out live broadcasts of their concerts. With a lot of music-related things that went away, you can say that the internet has made them redundant. But I don't think that's true of live concert broadcasts. All I can think of is that maybe Ticketmaster isn't allowing it.
Old 08-11-06, 07:03 PM

BTW there's a live Dave Matthews Concert on XM[i'm not sure what channel though]in 25 minutes.
Old 08-16-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

more details on the Dream Theater broadcast if anyone is interested:

VH1 Classic will be airing a one-hour, abbreviated version of DREAM THEATER's upcoming DVD, "Score", several times at the end of the month. Each airing is preceeded with a one-hour episode of "Metal Mania" co-hosted by Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci. Here is a listing of few of the airings:

Friday, August 25:

DREAM THEATER on "Metal Mania" - 8pm EST/5pm PST
"Score" on "In Concert" - 9pm EST/6pm PST

DREAM THEATER on "Metal Mania" - 11pm EST/8pm PST
"Score" on "In Concert" - Midnight EST/9pm PST

Saturday, August 26:

DREAM THEATER on "Metal Mania" - 1pm EST/10am PST

"Score" on "In Concert" - 2pm EST/11am PST

Sunday, August 27:

DREAM THEATER on "Metal Mania" - 6pm EST/3pm PST
"Score" on "In Concert" - 7pm EST/4am PST

** Note that VH1 Classic is a different channel than VH1

As previously reported, DREAM THEATER's upcoming "Score" CD can be streamed in its entirety at MP3.com.

Due on August 29 via Rhino, the "Score" 3-CD and 2-DVD sets will be available separately. Both versions will contain the entire "20th Anniversary World Tour" grand finale recorded live at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on April 1, 2006 (nearly three hours of music — over 90 minutes of which was performed with a full orchestra). The DVD will also contain a one-hour documentary tracking the entire career of the band from the very beginnings at the Berklee College Of Music in 1985 all the way to the Radio City Music Hall grand finale. It will also feature rare, never-before-seen footage and interviews with current and previous members of the band, plus several live bonus tracks from through the years taken from the archives of Mike Portnoy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.