DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Bob Seger Discussion (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/472424-bob-seger-discussion.html)

NEW BALTIMORE 06-03-04 05:47 AM

Bob Seger Discussion

Does anybody know I'm curious

ELIXER30 01-26-05 04:43 PM

Bob Seger and Three Doors Down

Has anybody heard the new song with them together, I just caught the last half of it on the radio, I don't know what it's called and I wonder who's new album it will be on.

Hollowgen 01-26-05 10:55 PM

it'll probably be on some sort of RNC/NRA comp coming out in the near future.

Osiris 01-26-05 11:31 PM

Can't wait to hear it.

movieking 01-28-05 07:10 PM

It is called Landing In London.

From MTV.com:

"Oh man, check it out. We were in Ocean Way Studios in Nashville, and we were using the room he usually records in," Harrell laughed. "He was always hanging around, wanting to come in there. And he was always in the kitchenette, getting coffee, so we had to ask him to be on our record."

And so they did. Seger put the coffee cup down long enough to lend his voice to a ballad called "Landing in London." It's unmistakably a 3 Doors Down song: uplifting, melodic, heavy on baritone vocals. In fact, Seventeen Days (which hits stores on February 8) is unmistakably a 3 Doors Down album, which will be good news for fans who threw hissy fits when they learned that the record was being produced by the dude who worked on Disturbed's last album, fearful that he'd make the group's sound too heavy.

ELIXER30 01-29-05 09:25 AM

Thank you movieking

ELIXER30 04-13-05 04:49 AM

Question about Bob Seger's first albums.

Does anybody know if they will ever release any of Bob Seger's first albums on Cd. I think he made about seven of them before Beautiful Loser.

fiver 04-13-05 05:44 PM

Interesting.I didn't realize that these cd's were out of print. I own the ones that used to be out on CD : Ramblin Gamblin Man, Mongrel, Smokin' OPs, and Seven.

Noah, Back in '72, and Brand New Morning will never be released again as per Bob Seger himself as he doesn't feel they were that good (although Back in '72 is the album Turn the Page was originally recorded on).

I don't know why the albums above would have gone out of print except maybe to try and produce better sounding mixes as I thought they were pretty good (I especially liked Mongrel).

Hope that helps
Michael

Cameron 04-13-05 05:55 PM

that kind of music just soothes the soul...oh wait

ELIXER30 04-13-05 07:14 PM

Thank's Michael

Norm de Plume 07-23-06 04:24 PM

Bob Seger's new CD - Face the Promise 9/12

"Face the Promise", set to be released on Sept. 12th, is his first since 1995's "It's a Mystery".

Great news, but I couldn't find a decent link.

Decker 07-24-06 01:37 AM

Whoa. I thought he had given up music and was making boats or something. Good to see him re-enter the music scene. Hope he's still on his game.

Snowmaker 07-25-06 12:21 PM

I'm scared.

[email protected] 07-25-06 12:29 PM

He's also thinking about putting his music online (he's been one of the few big holdouts, along with the Beatles and Zeppelin). Here's a link to a short story:

http://pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=7099

And it mentions that you can hear the new song at www.bobseger.com

hawk 07-25-06 12:44 PM

He stopped making music to help raise his kids btw.

cungar 07-25-06 01:22 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/3...2_segar_pg.jpg

B5Erik 07-25-06 10:18 PM

The new song isn't too bad - very "Against the Wind"-ish.

I wonder if the guy still knows how to rock, though. When he rocked he was pretty cool, and, hell - he wrote "Rosalie," which Thin Lizzy turned into a kick ass monster of a song! (And I still haven't heard Bob's version - if he ever even recorded one! I've never been able to find it...)

JasonF 07-25-06 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The new song isn't too bad - very "Against the Wind"-ish.

I wonder if the guy still knows how to rock, though. When he rocked he was pretty cool, and, hell - he wrote "Rosalie," which Thin Lizzy turned into a kick ass monster of a song! (And I still haven't heard Bob's version - if he ever even recorded one! I've never been able to find it...)

It's on his Back in '72 album.

Norm de Plume 07-29-06 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
And it mentions that you can hear the new song at www.bobseger.com

Sounds good, and boy does he look ancient in that picture a couple of entries up.

atlantamoi 07-29-06 07:09 AM

I enjoy some of his 70's tunes, but this new one will probably sink like a rock... unless it's all Motown covers. ;)

Norm de Plume 07-29-06 02:05 PM

^Are you kidding? Just my opinion of course, but I think he did his best work in the '80s and '90s. Even "Like a Rock" is a good song if one is somehow able to banish the memory of those wretched truck commercials.

Listen to the all-time masterpiece "The Fire Inside", with E-Streeter Roy Bittan on piano, one of the most rousing, moving songs ever composed.
Among the best of his songs since the turn of the eighties are "Roll Me Away", "Even Now", "American Storm", "Miami", "Somewhere Tonight", "Always in My Heart", "The Long Way Home", "Rite of Passage", "Manhattan", and "In Your Time"; and that's just scratching the surface.

atlantamoi 07-29-06 08:23 PM

I was being a little silly, but there is no way his post Against the Wind material can touch what he did before that.

art 07-29-06 10:27 PM

Bob had some great songs when he was hot, songs that have stood the test of time - eg Hollywood Nights, Mainstreet etc etc. He got overtaken by the new wave/new romantic musical movement that had its roots in Britain and was popularized in America by bands like Duran Duran.

Heat 07-30-06 09:43 PM

I loved the '70s Segar (in fact own or have owned Live Bullet on 8-track, album, cassette, and CD).

An '05 Bob Segar recording? I'm also scared.

movieking 07-31-06 08:49 PM

I'm a huge Segar fan, so I can't wait to hear some new material from him.

bigjim25 08-02-06 09:10 PM

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...V62396883_.jpg
Can't wait. I'd buy Bob if he was singing Old MacDonald Had A Farm

bigjim25 09-07-06 09:57 AM

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/...V59793849_.jpg
BONUS DVD includes career retrospective and a "making of Face The Promise" interview segment with studio footage. Includes previously unreleased historical concert performances of Still The Same and Hollywood Nights recorded live in San Diego in 1978. Also features the classic music videos for Like A Rock and The Fire Inside.

Prices September 12-16th:
Regular Version ($7.98 Target, $9.99 BB, $9.99 CC)
CD/DVD Version ($11.98 Target, $12.99 BB)

obscurelabel 09-07-06 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Sounds good, and boy does he look ancient in that picture a couple of entries up.

Well, he is 61.

I'm actually glad he's decided against coloring his hair and gone with the gray look. There was also a short piece on him on ET a few days ago and he also has never had his teeth fixed :up: (I'm serious, seeing all these celebrities with perfect, blindingly white teeth freaks me out a bit).

BTW, one of the best concerts I have ever attended was Bob and the SBB at the late great Omni in Atlanta on May 6, 1978. Stranger in Town had just been released. At the time I knew very little about his stuff (got the floor level tickets from a friend who had to cancel at the last minute) but the show was flat-out awesome.

ETA that Sweet (or The Sweet) was the opening act. They had a big hit at the time with "Love is Like Oxygen" and played a short set. Unfortunately, I think they were trying to put their bubblegum-metal days behind them and didn't play "Ballroom Blitz", "Little Willy", or "Wig Wam Bam", gloriously silly (but still rocking) songs.

hawk 09-07-06 01:58 PM

He looks kind've like Edgar Winter in that picture.

GuruTwo 09-07-06 02:50 PM

He's also thinking about putting his music online (he's been one of the few big holdouts, along with the Beatles and Zeppelin).
This could be the funniest thing I've ever read on the internet.

JeffDoeXXX 09-07-06 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Heat
I loved the '70s Segar (in fact own or have owned Live Bullet on 8-track, album, cassette, and CD).

An '05 Bob Segar recording? I'm also scared.

It's S E G E R.

cungar 09-07-06 10:34 PM

So you're a little bit older and a lot less bolder
Than you used to be
So you used to shake 'em down
But now you stop and think about your dignity
So now sweet sixteen's turned sixty-one

paulringodaman 09-07-06 11:33 PM

i hope we get a tour..i've been dying to see him

MANBREASTS 09-08-06 11:13 PM

You can listen to the new Cd at Clearchannelmusic I think the best songs on there are

1.Wreck this Heart
2.Wait for Me
3.No Matter who you are
4.Real Mean Bottle
5.The Answers in the Question
6.The Long Goodbye

The rest just sound like filler to me, but I think it's a big improvement over It's a Mystery the only song I really liked on there was "I wonder".

Norm de Plume 01-12-07 07:30 PM

So, now his fans have had a few months to absorb the new album.

I think it's excellent, if uneven. For me, "No More" is by far the standout, followed by "No Matter Who You Are" and "Wait for Me". "No More" is one of his best as it is, but it could have been a masterpiece on the order of "The Fire Inside" if he had written in one more verse and chorus. It ends a little prematurely, but the use of strings is ingenious.
"No Matter Who You Are" is one of his patented driving rockers, with especially good, pounding piano work.
Throughout the album, his voice, one of the best in the business, is in top form.

MANBREASTS 01-13-07 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
So, now his fans have had a few months to absorb the new album.

I think it's excellent, if uneven. For me, "No More" is by far the standout, followed by "No Matter Who You Are" and "Wait for Me". "No More" is one of his best as it is, but it could have been a masterpiece on the order of "The Fire Inside" if he had written in one more verse and chorus. It ends a little prematurely, but the use of strings is ingenious.
"No Matter Who You Are" is one of his patented driving rockers, with especially good, pounding piano work.
Throughout the album, his voice, one of the best in the business, is in top form.

Your'e post is going to make me take out this Cd and listen too "No More" again because I can't remember it sticking out in my head the first time. Thanks!

Norm de Plume 01-13-07 10:48 AM

Hope you like it. It's one of his lovely softer numbers. Some people prefer his louder, grungier bar-band stuff, but I think he composes some of the best melodies in rock. Listen especially for the resonance in his voice and the piano in the lines, "It was forty years ago when I was young, and the desert not the jungle heard the guns". Beautiful! And the strings interlude after the first chorus. Glorious!

bigjim25 11-02-09 11:54 PM

Bob Seger - Early Seger, Vol. 1 (Meijers / BobSeger.com Exclusive) 11/24/09

(10 tracks total — five remastered cuts from "Back in 72," "Smokin' O.P.'s" and "Seven," plus one rerecorded track and four previously unreleased songs). Available first at Meijers stores on Nov. 24 then at BobSeger.com on Nov. 30, 2009.

Midnight Rider
If I Were A Carpenter
Get Out Of Denver
Someday
U.M.C. (Upper Middle Class)
Long Song Comin'
Star Tonight (Previously Unreleased)
Gets Ya Pumpin' (Previously Unreleased)
Wildfire (Previously Unreleased)
Days When The Rain Would Come (Previously Unreleased)

Heat 11-03-09 09:02 PM

Re: Bob Seger - Early Seger, Vol. 1 (Meijers / BobSeger.com Exclusive) 11/24/09

Any idea of the price?

And Bob Segar - Live Bullet is a recording that I listened to a *lot* when I was younger. Great stuff, and I recognize a few of the songs off of this early Segar recording.

statcat 11-03-09 09:36 PM

Re: Bob Seger - Early Seger, Vol. 1 (Meijers / BobSeger.com Exclusive) 11/24/09

when is Seger going to release his real early stuff like this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7JL_N-Dly-Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7JL_N-Dly-Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>