Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

One & only Apple iTunes / iPod thread [2006 & 2007]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

One & only Apple iTunes / iPod thread [2006 & 2007]

Old 05-18-06, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where does one find these? I searched Scrubs Soundtrack and see that they have a Vol. 2 out now, but that's it.
Old 05-18-06, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look for it in "Imix"
These are songlists compiled by users.
I think there are only 2 official scrubs soundtracks.
Old 05-18-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, and a lot of the songs from Scrubs are not available on iTunes.
Old 05-20-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

here is the Imix http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...type=10&subid=

here is a song listing http://www.scrubs.mopnt.com./music/?s=all
Old 06-10-06, 04:12 AM

Due to the poor sound quality and DRM offered up by iTunes there are no "good" deals to be found.
Old 06-11-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike1978
Due to the poor sound quality and DRM offered up by iTunes there are no "good" deals to be found.
Wow, what a buzzkill.
Old 06-11-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mike1978
Old 06-11-06, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Obey The D
That's not a threadcrap - it's a dose of reality.
Old 06-11-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pope V
That's not a threadcrap - it's a dose of reality.

AAC is fine for listening in your car or on your ipod. I've played discs burned from iTunes files on a stereo and most people don't even realize it untill I tell them.
Old 06-11-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Obey The D

AAC is fine for listening in your car or on your ipod. I've played discs burned from iTunes files on a stereo and most people don't even realize it untill I tell them.

same here, the sound quality isnt bad at all, I just think the price should be cheaper, 9.99 isnt that much of a deal considering you can buy it for around that price in the store. since you have to burn them on a cd and dont get the booklet cd artwork etc the price per cd should be 7.99 or 6.99
Old 06-14-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd tend to agree. If I'm going to pay .99 cents a track or 10 bucks a CD, I'd rather order it from Yourmusic.com or DDCD and rip it to MP3 at my own bitrate allowing me to play it on various players-though I do have an ipod.
I've heard the sound quality in 'average' use is fine, but the format is self-limiting.
I know they have the lion's share of the market, but I don't want to pay more for something I can use less, than the same thing purchased [legally] elsewhere.
I've got a bunch of tracks from emusic, I like their model.

.99 cents a track isn't too bad if you're only looking for the 'good songs', but I think the full-album price should be cheaper.

Anyway, I've been playing with itunes for about a week, and though it seems to be pretty resource-heavy, I like it. My initial mistake was adding everything in my "My Music" folder [pre-ripped stuff I've had for a long time] to itunes; it did add, but many of those tracks were named oddly or were missing tag info etc. So last night I cleared my Library and am letting itunes 'manage my music collection'--it does quite a good job [based on the thousand tracks I imported last night] at renaming the track and creating band/album folders. And Track Number is useful--in the past I've had to to include the track number in the file name to get them to play in order. Add to that iArt to get album art and lyrics [album art works pretty well, lyrics, not as good but still worth the try], backed up with the Yahoo widget "itunes companion" when iArt fails to find album art, and it's getting pretty organized. And podcasts [though I know they're not limited to ipods/itunes] are pretty cool, I've subscribed to a bunch of audiobooks, both serialized novels and short story collections.
Anyway, while I don't like certain things about itunes/ipod [aac, pricing, resource usage, the fact the the ipods come with absolutely no accessories, the pricing of ipod accessories], and have historically shied away from them as a backlash to the mass popularity, there's enough good [itunes organization, podcasting, ease of use, plenty of accessories, choices in hardware] that I can see why they're popular.
Old 06-14-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one thing I don't like about iTunes is it still doesn't support cd text.
Old 06-14-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

I swear that bitrate snobs are becoming worse than microbrew snobs and wine snobs. They have already passed coffee snobs.

And I agree that the price still needs to fall before you will find me downloading more than 5 songs a year.
Old 06-14-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 479 Likes on 342 Posts
Almost like bringing up Peter Jackson in a Star Wars thread. Some people just don't have a fucking clue. Don't like iTunes? Fine. Mind your business and let everyone else discuss it. This didn't appear to be a thread about the merits of AAC format/quality. Move along. Everyone is aware of the quality which makes those posts nothing more than a , and brings nothing new to the discussion.

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The one thing I don't like about iTunes is it still doesn't support cd text.
Amen to that. I use itunes for organizing/playing, but toast for burning. I've sent them feedback on it a handful of occasions, all the way back to its first incarnation.
Old 06-14-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Does anybody know how to make podcast i've downloaded out of itunes show up under the podcast section on both itunes and on an ipod?
Old 06-14-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sauce07
Does anybody know how to make podcast i've downloaded out of itunes show up under the podcast section on both itunes and on an ipod?
Mine do it automatically. Odd that yours don't. I know I didn't do anything specifically to set it up.
Old 06-14-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Mine do too.
And assuming you're talking about me, I'm not a 'bitrate snob'. I rip at whatever bitrate balances file size and sound quality, and the default iTunes bitrate sounds perfectly adequate [from what I've heard]. My issue is with the format that only allows you to use it on itunes/ipod. Even with that, the itunes music store is only a small subset of the itunes/ipod universe, which I like so far as a whole.
Old 06-14-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Wasn't talking about you. If it were you, I would berate your bitrate diatribe.
Old 06-14-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Mine do it automatically. Odd that yours don't. I know I didn't do anything specifically to set it up.
I was actually talking about podcast downloaded directly to my computer not thru Itunes. I've downloaded some podcast of my fav. band and now they have it available on Itunes and i want the ones i downloaded before to be with the ones i download on itunes.
Old 06-14-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just add the files to itunes like you would for any other music on your computer (file->add file(s) to itunes). voila!

Last edited by The Dude; 06-14-06 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-14-06, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dtcarson
I'd tend to agree. If I'm going to pay .99 cents a track or 10 bucks a CD, I'd rather order it from Yourmusic.com or DDCD and rip it to MP3 at my own bitrate allowing me to play it on various players-though I do have an ipod.
I've heard the sound quality in 'average' use is fine, but the format is self-limiting.
I know they have the lion's share of the market, but I don't want to pay more for something I can use less, than the same thing purchased [legally] elsewhere.
I've got a bunch of tracks from emusic, I like their model.

.99 cents a track isn't too bad if you're only looking for the 'good songs', but I think the full-album price should be cheaper.
I agree with all that, but I think Apple wants an across the board price to keep things simple. I know that they've been under great pressure from the record companies to increase prices on the more popular tracks and albums. But they're not budging in that direction either.
Old 06-14-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheDude
Just add the files to itunes like you would for any other music on your computer (file->add file(s) to itunes). voila!
That works for just adding it into itunes but not for it to show up in the podcast section. I've tried everything including adding the files in the podcast folder as well as labeling them in the podcast catagory
Old 06-14-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
That works for just adding it into itunes but not for it to show up in the podcast section. I've tried everything including adding the files in the podcast folder as well as labeling them in the podcast catagory

Ahhh, I gotcha. I do not think there is a way to get those into the "podcast" section, without redowloading those files through itunes. Sorry.
Old 06-14-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheDude
Ahhh, I gotcha. I do not think there is a way to get those into the "podcast" section, without redowloading those files through itunes. Sorry.
That's what i expected, kinda sucks cause i wanted them all together
Old 06-14-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 479 Likes on 342 Posts
Is there something in the tag that labels it as a podcast. Some kind of flag that would show iTunes where they go?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.