Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

VH1's Rock Honors: Queen, KISS, Judas Priest & Def Leppard

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-23-06, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VH-1 presents the first ever "rock honors" celebrating the music of Queen, KISS, Judas Priest and Def Leppard. I know all the honorees will be performing that night (broadcast May 31) along with performances by the Foo Fighters and All American Rejects, not sure who, if anyone else, will appear.

All the honorees will receive a special ring as well, similar to what professional athletes get when inducted into a hall of fame (why doesn't the rock hall do that???)

I'm definitely looking forward to the show.
Old 05-23-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Fans who want to see Def Leppard being honored at VH1's Rock Honors show up close on May 25 in Las Vegas, are now invited to be part of the audience in the Fan Pit!

As reported earlier, VH1 debuts the first ever show to pay homage to the legends who influenced the sound of hard rock with the first annual "VH1 Rock Honors," and this year's celebration will honor the music and influence of KISS, Queen, Def Leppard and Judas Priest. All four bands will be performing live, along with Foo Fighters, Godsmack, All-American Rejects and more soon to be announced performers and presenters.
Admission to the Fan Pit is free but you must place a request to be on the guest list by sending an email to [email protected]. You must include your full legal name, phone number and total number of people in your group. All requests taken first come, based on date your email is received. If at time your request is received there is still space, you will be emailed with all the necessary info. Space is limited so hurry and don't miss out!

Please note to be in the Fan Pit:
you must be able to arrive by 5:00PM on May 25 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas
you must be at least 18 years old on date of show
you must have a valid picture ID (picture ID will be required at check-in)
you must stay for the entire show
you you understand that any and all expenses associated with attending are your own responsibility.

Travel, food, lodging, etc. are NOT provided.

Those who want to attend the show but are not interested in being in the Fan Pit, can buy tickets Ticketmaster and at all Ticketmaster outlets. Tickets are also available at the Mandalay Bay Box office, or can be ordered at (877) 632-7400 or (702) 632-7580.
Old 05-23-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Fans who want to see Def Leppard being honored at VH1's Rock Honors show up close on May 25 in Las Vegas, are now invited to be part of the audience in the Fan Pit!

Will there be a wall of death?
Old 05-23-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
This is good. With the exception of Queen, none of these bands will ever be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Old 05-23-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
This is good. With the exception of Queen, none of these bands will ever be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Kiss should be. I don't care what the critics think.
Old 05-23-06, 11:18 PM

I don't think Leppard will ever be and I don't think KISS *should* be but I think Judas Priest should be considered.
Old 05-24-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Michael, KISS should be in the hall of fame if it is to have any credibility at all.

By what standards should they not be in? They have sold over 70 million albums worldwide over a 30 year career. They were the #1 band in America for 3 years in the 70's, and had the #1 tour of 1996! In between they had several platinum and gold albums and successful tours. They revolutionized the live concert presentation (taking it from low-tech Alice Cooper theatrical prop kind of stuff to high-tech electronic & pyrotechnic presentations). They influenced bands ranging from Cheap Trick to Anthrax to Skid Row to Poison to Garth Brooks to Alice in Chains - the list of bands influenced by KISS is huge.

The VH1 Rock Honors has more credibility than the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - and I'm really looking forward to this show. About time Judas Priest got some respect, too!
Old 05-24-06, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Michael, KISS should be in the hall of fame if it is to have any credibility at all.

By what standards should they not be in? They have sold over 70 million albums worldwide over a 30 year career. They were the #1 band in America for 3 years in the 70's, and had the #1 tour of 1996! In between they had several platinum and gold albums and successful tours. They revolutionized the live concert presentation (taking it from low-tech Alice Cooper theatrical prop kind of stuff to high-tech electronic & pyrotechnic presentations). They influenced bands ranging from Cheap Trick to Anthrax to Skid Row to Poison to Garth Brooks to Alice in Chains - the list of bands influenced by KISS is huge.

The VH1 Rock Honors has more credibility than the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - and I'm really looking forward to this show. About time Judas Priest got some respect, too!

Ignoring KISS is just sad and pathetic and I agree on all points. Anyway, the RR Hof is full of snobs and old farts.

Man, vh1 has really been impressing me with it attention to metal music lately.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-24-06 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-24-06, 06:07 AM

I'll probably be attending this, hopefully it'll be a great show. But either way I'm glad they're doing the show on such great bands, and I'm loving the whole "Metal Month" VH1 is doing.
Old 05-24-06, 11:25 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No fan of Kiss but....

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
I don't think Leppard will ever be and I don't think KISS *should* be but I think Judas Priest should be considered.
.... I'd be interested to hear what lies behind those bon mots.

[Sometimes posting one's measured thoughts facilitates a useful discussion ].

Last edited by benedict; 05-24-06 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-24-06, 12:01 PM

JP should be in just for establishing the twin guitar attack that bands like Wishbone Ash had started and making it part of the rock n roll template from then onwards.

Driving a motorcycle on stage dosent hurt either (well unless you run into an obstruction and knock yourself out)
Old 05-24-06, 02:15 PM

Well my comments shouldn't be considered anti-KISS, it's not like I don't like them, I just don't think they've done enough artistically to move music forward. I don't see what they've done to revolutionize or heavily influence music in any measurable way.

Commercial success really doesn't come into play here so x number of albums or concert tix sold mean very little or else there would be many more bands who should be in the hall of fame. For me what really hurts their reputation has been the ridiculous whoring of themselves to make a quick buck. It's painfully shameless. KISS really never moved past being a gimmick band and as such, I don't see them as being worthy of being placed next to the greats like the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, Queen, Dylan, etc.

I understand their fans will think otherwise and I don't mean my comments as an insult. As I said, I like KISS enough but for me, they just don't measure up as artists.
Old 05-24-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Well my comments shouldn't be considered anti-KISS, it's not like I don't like them, I just don't think they've done enough artistically to move music forward. I don't see what they've done to revolutionize or heavily influence music in any measurable way.

Commercial success really doesn't come into play here so x number of albums or concert tix sold mean very little or else there would be many more bands who should be in the hall of fame. For me what really hurts their reputation has been the ridiculous whoring of themselves to make a quick buck. It's painfully shameless. KISS really never moved past being a gimmick band and as such, I don't see them as being worthy of being placed next to the greats like the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, Queen, Dylan, etc.

I understand their fans will think otherwise and I don't mean my comments as an insult. As I said, I like KISS enough but for me, they just don't measure up as artists.
I would debate this post (especially after just looking at the list of who has been inducted into the Hall of Fame so far) but why discuss it with a person who thinks Brian May, Roger Taylor and Paul Rodgers getting together is the second coming? Not worth the time.
Old 05-24-06, 04:30 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: band lineups...

So who gets rings if the lineups change? Original lineups? Current lineups? Or anyone who was in the band for a considerable amount of time?
Old 05-24-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Well my comments shouldn't be considered anti-KISS, it's not like I don't like them, I just don't think they've done enough artistically to move music forward.
If that's your criteria, then the R&RHOF is going to be one empty fucking building. What have Lynyrd Skynyrd, Percy Sledge, Bob Seger, Brenda Lee, Lovin' Spoonful, Dusty Springfield, and The Bee Gees (to name a few) ever done to actually move music forward? Sure, they were popular, but none of them were nearly as influential or innovative as KISS.
Old 05-24-06, 05:14 PM
Banned

Damn straight, Jason (though I might debate the Skynyrd and BeeGees)...
Old 05-24-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Really?

Artists ranging from Garth Brooks to Scott Ian would disagree with you.

Hell, they were a huge musical influence on me! (And I consider myself an "artist" from the standpoint that I've been in bands as a drummer, and for the last decade I've played guitar - badly - and written and recorded my own songs.)

There is no way to quantify how much a band does "artistically" to "move music forward," other than to look at the number of bands/artists influenced by them. KISS has influenced a huge number of bands (only a tiny fraction of whom I listed in my original post). A Hall of Fame is there to recognize achievement. KISS has achieved more in their career than 90% of the "artists" in the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame." It's a hall of FAME, not a hall of "Artistic Achievement." (Besides which, KISS has written some damn fine Rock and Roll songs that still hold up 10, 20, even 30 years after they were written.)

VH1 gets it. KISS is among the first group they are honoring. I love the first 4 bands that they are honoring. KISS, Judas Priest, Queen, Def Leppard - Great choices. The snobs that vote for the R&R HOF could learn a lesson or three from this show.

Like I said, I'm really looking forward to this show.
Old 05-25-06, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I would debate this post (especially after just looking at the list of who has been inducted into the Hall of Fame so far) but why discuss it with a person who thinks Brian May, Roger Taylor and Paul Rodgers getting together is the second coming? Not worth the time.
Well you know, at least I was giving an opinion (without trying to insult anyone's tastes or them outright,) can you say the same? You can be dismissive (and outright lie) all you want. If you'd like to be mature and debate this, I'll be here. Until then I'm NOT going to take part in some kind of pissing contest with you and ruin the thread.
Old 05-25-06, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
Re: band lineups...

So who gets rings if the lineups change? Original lineups? Current lineups? Or anyone who was in the band for a considerable amount of time?
Good question. I have no idea. (Would make for some interesting 'within-a-band' arguments.)
Old 05-25-06, 10:19 AM

If that's your criteria, then the R&RHOF is going to be one empty fucking building. What have Lynyrd Skynyrd, Percy Sledge, Bob Seger, Brenda Lee, Lovin' Spoonful, Dusty Springfield, and The Bee Gees (to name a few) ever done to actually move music forward? Sure, they were popular, but none of them were nearly as influential or innovative as KISS.
To be fair, I think a lot of this comes down to personal taste/preference with one's own favoritism coloring their views. Perhaps the artists you mentioned moved their specific genres forward? I cannot say with any certainty as I'm not a follower of any of them.
Old 05-25-06, 10:30 AM

Really?
Yes really. I understand you're a KISS fan and that's cool man. Just take what I say with a grain of salt.

Artists ranging from Garth Brooks to Scott Ian would disagree with you.
LOTS of people disagree with me all the time......

There is no way to quantify how much a band does "artistically" to "move music forward," other than to look at the number of bands/artists influenced by them.
That's the ONLY way?

KISS has influenced a huge number of bands (only a tiny fraction of whom I listed in my original post).
Queen influenced a lot of bands too but that would absolutely not be my sole criteria for being hall of famers.

A Hall of Fame is there to recognize achievement. KISS has achieved more in their career than 90% of the "artists" in the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."
That might be a bit of a stretch I think. I love Queen and even I wouldn't say such a grand statement about them.

It's a hall of FAME, not a hall of "Artistic Achievement."
"Hall of fame" doesn't simply mean who was the most famous. It clearly means the best so let's not focus on one word. Looking at other HoFs, baseball, football, the BEST players are there. Not the ones who sold the most jerseys, made the most TV appearances, etc.

(Besides which, KISS has written some damn fine Rock and Roll songs that still hold up 10, 20, even 30 years after they were written.)
I agree with you. While they didn't do anything I would call "art" (it was just about being commercial with them, let's face it) the music can and is fun and entertaining. There's always a place for bands like them.

VH1 gets it. KISS is among the first group they are honoring. I love the first 4 bands that they are honoring. KISS, Judas Priest, Queen, Def Leppard - Great choices. The snobs that vote for the R&R HOF could learn a lesson or three from this show.

Like I said, I'm really looking forward to this show.
Me too though Def Lep seems like the odd band out in a way.
Old 05-25-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just don't think they've done enough artistically to move music forward. I don't see what they've done to revolutionize or heavily influence music in any measurable way.
huh??? you've got to be kidding me. I don't think they could have influenced or revolutionized music MORE! KISS was pretty much the first band to take Hard Rock/Heavy Metal music and make it commercial and they opened up the way for all the "Hair Metal" bands of the 80's

Everyone from Anthrax to Poison to Pearl Jam to Garth Brooks to Lenny Kravitz has said they got into music because of KISS

and I'm not talking about the gimmic and image of KISS, I'm talking about the music... the sad thing is most people can't look past the make-up (even tho they played for 13 years 1983-1996 without the make-up and still had platinum and gold records and huge top selling tours) Yes, they used thier image to get noticed, but they backed it up with great music, if not they would have been another GWAR

Personaly, I put the team of Simmons/Stanley right up there with Jagger/Richards or Page/Plant.... if not ahead of them.
Old 05-25-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

KISS should get in, not because of their songs , if going by that they probably shouldnt cause they only had a small handful of good songs, but because of their popularity and influence upon other better bands who came after them.

I think people who love KISS and think them to be a "Great" Band are confused and may be slightly ill, but having said that, they did influence Rock, and I cant say anything against about 3-5 songs. Most of their catalog is total worthless crap though. Thats just how it is. The members of the band will even say, with them it wasnt so much the music, it was the idea and feel that came along with their shows ect. KISS eventually became a giant joke and that hurt them quite a bit. When your main audience wants to watch you in cartoon form on saturday mornings,and buys Teen Pop magazines featuring pictures of you, you should know that your no longer a serious Rocker. Being an awesome Rocker with appeal, and being a joke can sometimes be a fine line, but with KISS they totally disreguarded the line and passed into the lexicon of ,once semi-relevant Rockers who became embarrasing. The only thing good for them is that they made this journey years ago. In recent years I think they may have gained back SOME of their dignity.

Seriously though, how can anyone say they were viable songwriters? I agree they had a handfull of good to decent songs, but on a whole??? Thats a larf!

Last edited by foofighters7; 05-25-06 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-25-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the Foo Fighters would disagree with you, as they covered the KISS song Snowblind as a b-side on one of thier singles and are Huge KISS fans.

Only 3 or 5 good songs? thier catalog is total worthless crap?? what have you actually listened too? this is a band with over 20 studio albums with hundreds of fantastic songs... if it was all about thier make-up image and thier songs were total worthless crap they wouldn't have lasted when they took the make-up off in 1983, but they still sold gold and platinum albums and had top selling sold out tours... so that blows that arguement out of the water.
Old 05-25-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
let's put the x in sex

i just wanna fuh, i just wanna fuh, i just wanna fuh-get you

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.