DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Help with a new stereo (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/465907-help-new-stereo.html)

PopcornTreeCt 05-18-06 01:25 PM

Help with a new stereo

I'm looking to get a new home stereo for my room. What are some things I should look for? I want sound as clear as possible. BOSE seems to be really expensive. How are brands like RCA and SONY? Are they all pretty much the same?

DamingR 05-18-06 01:44 PM

Definitely do not buy anything Bose.

How big of a system do you want? What is your price range? Are you talking about one of those all-in-one systems, or a more traditional speakers and receiver?

mike1978 05-18-06 11:03 PM

I'm not a fan of the "all-in-one" systems because there's usually at least one weak link somewhere in the package. As for speakers, I'm a big fan of Energy products.

Celtic Bob 05-18-06 11:35 PM

I agree on the Energy speakers. They are excellant.

zombiezilla 05-19-06 06:25 AM

DamingR, what's wrong with Bose?!? Unless you were referring to expense, of course. It's the best sound you'll find at it's price, though, IMNSHO...

Mr. Cinema 05-19-06 09:43 AM

I have one of those JVC "shelf systems", but I'm also wanting a new setup. I have 5.1 surround sound with my home theater setup, so I'd like to just add a cd-changer to it. Best Buy has a 5-disc Sony changer that also plays SACD for around $150. Is this a good player? Is SACD going to be around for awhile? Like the majority of people, I haven't really paid much attention to the new cd formats. I've just stuck with cd, but I've read SACD sounds superb. Is this player worth the price?

Sony 5-Disc CD Changer with SA-CD Playback
Model: SCDCE595
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1087342241470

DamingR 05-19-06 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
DamingR, what's wrong with Bose?!? Unless you were referring to expense, of course. It's the best sound you'll find at it's price, though, IMNSHO...

If you want to spend a lot of money to get an inferior product, Bose is great. I would rather pay for good equipment than their marketing budget, personally.

The Sony 5-disc changer would be fine. SACD and DVD-A are pretty much dead, though, unfortunately. I personally am getting a SACD/DVD-A universal player, though, because there are a few good titles available on those formats. There is supposed to be a new audio disc standard coming out with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and hopefully one of those will catch on.

But, you really can't reccomend a stereo system without a better description and price range.

Jason 05-19-06 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by DamingR
If you want to spend a lot of money to get an inferior product, Bose is great. I would rather pay for good equipment than their marketing budget, personally.

The Sony 5-disc changer would be fine. SACD and DVD-A are pretty much dead, though, unfortunately. I personally am getting a SACD/DVD-A universal player, though, because there are a few good titles available on those formats. There is supposed to be a new audio disc standard coming out with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and hopefully one of those will catch on.

But, you really can't reccomend a stereo system without a better description and price range.

I have a set of Bose 301 speakers from about 10 years ago or so. They sound great. They are breadbox sized bookshelf speakers, not the little cubes. The small HT systems bose sells are shit.

tcoursen 05-19-06 01:07 PM

Build your own pre/amp and amp:

http://www.bottlehead.com

Add a cd player and some speakers and you are good to go.

cungar 05-19-06 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by DamingR
There is supposed to be a new audio disc standard coming out with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and hopefully one of those will catch on.

Hate to sound cynical but if peope didn't catch on to SACD, DVD-Audio why would they be attracted to this? The bit rates weren't high enough? Most people don't have the system to tell the difference. It's going to take one hell of a marketing plan.

hdtv00 05-19-06 05:53 PM

Stupid logic most people dont have gear to watch high def, doesnt stop it from being the future. They havent caught on because they havent released crap on them worth buying thats why.

And dude come on lol Bose, give us a break...

Paradigm,Energy lots of brands that are REAL quality speakers for way less than a couple tin cans and a wanna be sub for $1200 lmfao.

Mr. Salty 05-19-06 06:28 PM

I agree that Bose is overpriced junk. They use cheap paper cone drivers. For what you pay for Bose, you can do far, far better.

For receivers, look at entry-level Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha or Harman-Kardon. For speakers, listen to Energy, Paradigm, Athena ... there are a few others, but I'll have to jog my memory.

This thread really isn't about music. You might want to e-mail a mod and ask for the thread to be moved to the Home Theater Gear area. A lot of enthusiasts hang out there and can provide a lot of good information.

zombiezilla 05-20-06 10:30 AM

I've used Bose since 1990 and always enjoyed the sound quality; it's all in the "ear" of the beholder, I guess. But I won't switch. Don't need to. Two systems/speaker sets in 16 years? Like my current haircut, I've never had one last that long before! (I've shaved my head since '92, LOL)......

Toka 05-23-06 03:00 PM

You can get a super nice vintage system for very little money (or even free, if you get lucky/look hard enough), and even though you'll have to spend some money to get them spruced up they will KILL anything on the market today that costs under $10,000.