Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sarah Mclachlan records new album...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sarah Mclachlan records new album...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Gave the CD a listen last night (more as a fan of Xmas music than as a McLachlan fan) and feel a need to throw hyperbole to the wind.

While the album as a whole is nice, I honestly think that her version of "Christmas Time is Here" might be the single best cover of the song I have ever heard.

Krall's piano gives a nice underpinning to McLachlan's vocals, and maybe its just me, but she nails the melancholy of the tune better than any other vocalist I have heard.

I also liked her versions of "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and The First Noel," quite a bit, which is strange since they have typically been throwaway Xmas songs to me in the past.
Old 10-20-06, 08:46 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
Gave the CD a listen last night (more as a fan of Xmas music than as a McLachlan fan) and feel a need to throw hyperbole to the wind.

While the album as a whole is nice, I honestly think that her version of "Christmas Time is Here" might be the single best cover of the song I have ever heard.

Krall's piano gives a nice underpinning to McLachlan's vocals, and maybe its just me, but she nails the melancholy of the tune better than any other vocalist I have heard.

I also liked her versions of "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and The First Noel," quite a bit, which is strange since they have typically been throwaway Xmas songs to me in the past.
Great review. Thanks!
Old 10-21-06, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She was on the Ellen Degeneres show, today. She did a gorgeous version of "River".
Old 10-24-06, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She was on both The Tonight Show and Ellen last week. Itunes Canada is offering a bonus track of "I Hear The Bells On Christmas Day."

Oh...and I have never listened to this much Christmas music ever. I absolutely love it.
Old 12-14-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm not much of a christmas music fan, an occasional song is ok, but I hate the radio stations that go christmas 24/7 the first of november.
anyway, I am a McLachlan fan so I figured I'd give it a shot. not bad.
I wouldn't have even know about this though if it hadn't been for River (at least I think it was river) being on ER the other night, I thought it sounded like her singing so I went to her site and saw she had a new album out
Old 12-14-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to hear something from it...

"Silent Night" is a free iTunes song this week (through next Monday, 12/18). It's OK I guess. Nice voice, I don't care for the song though. Now, James Taylor's version of "Jingle Bells" (a free iTunes song last week) was pretty good, I'd recommend picking up his album over Sarah's.

Oh, if you are over at iTunes downloading "Silent Night" for free, be sure to pick up "Christmas Reindeer" by The Knife. Now that's a Christmas song.

Last edited by Heat; 12-14-06 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-17-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump - Monday is the last day if you want the free download from iTunes.