Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica albums remastered?

Old 05-11-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Metallica albums remastered?

I see that Megadeth did this with their early albums, so when will Metallica step up and make their early records 100x's better?
Old 05-11-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I kind of like the raw sound of their early stuff. That's what makes it so great in my mind. I can't imagine MOP with a slick "black album" feel.
Old 05-11-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own Ride the Lighting and Master of Puppets remastered,in fact I think it's the only way to get them now.
Old 05-12-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was under the impression some of them already were remastered. If they aren't, Justice could certainly use it.
Old 05-12-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Remastering Justice would be nice if they give Jason's bass a hefty boost. Someone in college played me the bass riff for the verse of "Dyer's Eve" and it seemed like an insane amount of triplets -- an awful lot of work for something that it not heard on the album. His copy of the official Justice tab book showed this too, which is much more involved than the online tab shown below:

Verse (Dear Mother, Dear Father):

G|--------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------------------|
A|---------0-----3\2-------------0---------5------3-|
E|-2---3-------0------2---3---0----3-2-0------3-----|
tab by HypaDermic
Old 05-12-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Come to think of it, the bass is lacking on Dyers Eve
Old 05-12-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wishbon3
Remastering Justice would be nice if they give Jason's bass a hefty boost. Someone in college played me the bass riff for the verse of "Dyer's Eve" and it seemed like an insane amount of triplets -- an awful lot of work for something that it not heard on the album.
The flat, treble-y sound of that album reduces what might possibly be my favorite Metallica album to a distant third. It's a bizarre sounding mix. I hope to God they do a wholesale remix the damned thing and give Jason's bass a boost rather than a more superficial tune-up.

After re-listening to them recently, the early albums (especially Kill Em All) sound thin at this point as well. Master of Puppets is probably their best sounding album (especially the visceral mix on "Leper Messiah") but even that lacks bottom end.
Old 05-12-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDHO
I own Ride the Lighting and Master of Puppets remastered,in fact I think it's the only way to get them now.
Does it actually state this on the package? I've always been under the impression that none of the classic Metallica records have been remastered yet.

In regards to the Dyer's Eve comments and bass, I'm a bassist of 18 years, and Metallica is the reason I started playing. Back in 1989, I had the bass transcriptions books for Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppers and ...And Justice For All. Learned them all note for note.

Interesting thing about Justice, many of the bass lines were far more intricate than the record shows. I remember playing along to the record with my own bass sound, which was very similar to Newsted's sound on Garage Days, and it sounded really cool. Dyer's Eve has this insane triplet-like feel int he verses (I believe it was 2 16ths and an 8th_, and it really adds another dimension. Unfortunately with the history Jason has had with the band, I doubt we'll ever see the record release with a new mix.

Speaking of which, I pretty much dislike all the changes made to Megadeth's "remixes". I would love to have a simply remastered version of Peace Sells, So Far.. and Rust In Peace. I don't think Countdown needs it-that record always sounded pristine. The changed solos, redone vocals, etc., it's just not the same. Rust In Peace got messed with the most. I'm perfectly happy with the originals.
Old 05-12-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wishbon3
Remastering Justice would be nice if they give Jason's bass a hefty boost. Someone in college played me the bass riff for the verse of "Dyer's Eve" and it seemed like an insane amount of triplets -- an awful lot of work for something that it not heard on the album. His copy of the official Justice tab book showed this too, which is much more involved than the online tab shown below:
mastering is different than mixing. It would have to be remixed to get the bass up in there. Yeah, they can boost the bass sounds by mastering, but not the bass instrument (which was completely buried in the mix on purpose).
Old 05-12-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
mastering is different than mixing. It would have to be remixed to get the bass up in there. Yeah, they can boost the bass sounds by mastering, but not the bass instrument (which was completely buried in the mix on purpose).
If that's true, then why even have Newsted in the band, if they're gonna undermine his work on an album?
Old 05-12-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
If that's true, then why even have Newsted in the band, if they're gonna undermine his work on an album?
I always got the impression that was part of his "initiation". They obviously didn't respect him much at the time (if they ever did). It's very difficult to be the "new guy" in a well-established band.
Old 05-12-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

post #19
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ight=Metallica
Old 05-13-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I always got the impression that was part of his "initiation". They obviously didn't respect him much at the time (if they ever did). It's very difficult to be the "new guy" in a well-established band.
It's one thing to fuck around with Jason Newkid behind the scenes, but when they decide to dick him around on the album, they're fucking the fans over way more than the bass player.

(Which, I suspect is sort of harbinger of things that were to come...)

At any rate, AJFA could definitely use a remix. I'm not one who likes to see bands go back and rework their previous efforts (Ozzy*cough*), but AJFA is a compromised album.
Old 05-14-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, its just Lightning and Puppets that have been remastered?

Has anyone done any comparisons? I don't want to rebuy anything if there's not much difference.
Old 05-14-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

then again, these remasters have been out since 94 (even "and justice for all" has a 94 release date), chances are, alot of you already have the current remaster. Now, if they went back with a new remaster, i'd buy it in a heart beat.
Old 05-14-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just looking that these in the store in case I had older verisons. The backs say something about the digital nature of the recording showing more flaws in the sound, but I don't really see anything on there that states in no uncertain terms that they've remastered.