Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

John Williams -- A night with Spielberg & Scorsese

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from seeing John Williams conduct New York Philharmonic at Lincoln Center. For those who didn't know, this was all about film music. The first act was dedicated to Bernard Herrmann and the second to the films John has scored with Steven Spielberg.

Martin Scorsese was on stage for all of the first act.
Steven Spielberg was on stage for all of the second act.

Set List:
Act One
Death Hunt - Dangerous Ground
The Inquirer - Citizen Cane
Ball of Springfield Mountain - Devil and Daniel Webster
Gallop: The Whip - "Currier and Ives" Suite
Scene d'amour - Vertigo
Prelude - Psycho
The Murder - Psycho
Night Piece for Orchestra - Taxi Driver
Prelude/Night Owl - Taxi Driver
Prelude - North By Northwest

Intermission

Act Two:
Main Theme - Jaws
Excerpts - Close Encounters
Out To Sea/Shark Cage Fugue - Jaws
Indy's Very First Adventure - Last Crusade
Main Theme - Schindler's List
Finale - ET

Encores:

A Prayer For Peace - Munich
Main Theme - Star Wars
Tribute to Leonard Bernstein
NBC Nightly News Theme

Just some thoughts:
Saw Kate Capshaw in the lobby. No security around her or anything. Surprised people weren't hounding her. She's very pretty in person but a lot older than Temple of Doom, that's for sure. She needs to eat a burger or two as well.
Saw Chris Martin of Coldplay during intermission. He might have been with Gwenyth as I saw a blonde with him but was too busy looking at him.

Psycho and North By Northwest were accompanied by film clips. Both were shown in widescreen.

The piece from Last Crusade was cool because we got to see the unfinished film first. It was only dialogue and special effects. No music. Throughout it, Spielberg was doing a commentary of sorts, telling us where he would need "hits" and certain things accentuated with the music. Something was wrong with the print that they screened because the video was jumping all around. I half expected Spielberg to comment. And, yes, it was full screen. After we saw it "raw," they then showed the same 3 minute clip over again and John added the music. It started from Young Indy jumping out of the cave to just after Fedora says "Damn" and Indy is running away from the train. This included all the unreleased music from the Lion/whip scene as well as the magic car. Nice to hear it solo.

For ET, we saw the last 10 minutes of the movie the same way. The end of ET always gets to me but hearing it and seeing it this way, tears were streaming down my face. It's definitely one of my favorite pieces of music and was only made better by hearing it live with the film being projected. It ran from the stealing of the van to the very end of the film. I'm actually listening to it right now. And yes, it was full screen.

There isn't much to say about Martin or Steven's contributions. Everything was primarily scripted. Steven made a comment about another Indy movie and the crowd went nuts...as they did when John came out for the encore and said "well, George Lucas can't be there but we'll do this one anyway." Huge roar from the crowd.

An amazing night.
And made even more amazing because I got to sit next to my parents who bought me my first score when I was probably about 3 or 4. It was fulfilling to hear a part of that score, "Star Wars," together. Much love to them.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 04-24-06 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was it filmed?
Old 04-24-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a great night! What did Scorsese do on stage?
Old 04-24-06, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Was it filmed?
Not professionally.

Sounds like a great night! What did Scorsese do on stage?
He introduced several of the pieces.
Old 04-25-06, 10:49 AM
FM

I'm envious, you lucky dog! Sounds like an amazing night.
Old 04-25-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds totally cool.

Thanks for the write-up.
Old 04-25-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A friend of mine was also there...I'm going to beat the shit out of him next time I see him....... would have LOVED to have been there...

MATT
Old 04-25-06, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdc3000
A friend of mine was also there...I'm going to beat the shit out of him next time I see him....... would have LOVED to have been there...

MATT
They're doing it again tomorrow night as well!
Old 04-26-06, 09:06 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Wow - sounds like an amazing concert. Would love to attend!
Old 04-26-06, 03:08 PM

Williams should do a concert series presenting all of the composers and pieces he has ripped off.
Old 04-26-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounded incredible.
Old 05-18-06, 09:56 AM
Banned

For those interested:

The New York Philharmonic's performances of film music last month, which featured introductions by directors Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese, will be broadcast on the orchestra's weekly radio series starting June 12.

The concerts on April 24 and 26 were led by film composer and conductor John Williams; the program included Williams' own scores and music by Bernard Hermann. The April 26 concert was the Philharmonic's spring gala fundraiser.

Spielberg introduced excerpts of scores from his own collaborations with Williams, including Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jaws, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Schindler's List, and E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial.

Scorsese hosted a tribute to Hermann, including portions of the composer's music for Citizen Kane and The Devil and Daniel Webster; the Alfred Hitchcock films Vertigo, Psycho, and North by Northwest; and Scorsese's own Taxi Driver, as well as the concert work Currier and Ives Suite.

The New York Philharmonic This Week is a two-hour program broadcast on 250 stations around the country through the WFMT Radio Network. In New York City, it is heard on WQXR 96.3 FM on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. June's broadcasts also include a Mahler program led by Riccardo Chailly, Lorin Maazel leading Berlioz's Harold in Italy, and pianist Pierre-Laurent Aimard in Stravinsky's Concerto for Piano and Winds.
Old 08-08-06, 08:49 AM
Banned

For those interested....Williams is doing a concert at Tanglewood this weekend. He's doing a suite of Star Wars music (has about 10 cues in it) and James Earl Jones is narrating!!! He'll be doing ET, War of the World, Memoirs of a Geisha and some others. I will be there.
And I also have an extra ticket if anyone is interested.