Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Built to Spill: "You In Reverse" 04/11/06

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-11-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Built To Spill
You In Reverse
Album Review

Twisting and turning through the dense and under populated wood of Indie Rock, Built To Spill have emerged after 5 years of self examination losing some members but gaining fresh legs along the way. Doug Martsch is still there, along with Scott Plouf, Jim Roth, Brett Nelson, Brett Netson.

They need to be congratulated. Many haven’t made it out alive. Pavement, Sonic Youth are but two that were never heard from again, but apparently the guys were greeted by The Pixies, who had set up camp after they themselves had been lost without trace for some time.

During their voyage, Built To Spill have written and recorded an album of unquestionable depth and haunting beauty. Every track resonates around my head as if to tell me that my life was not complete before without it. And I can't help but feel like I have heard every track before.

Right from the very beginning, “Goin’ Against Your Mind” (currently available on itunes), with it’s uncomplicated chord structure and melody are difficult to shake off, and I have to stop myself from repeating the track again and again.

“Traces” and “Liar” offer a touch of tender reflection, readying you for “Saturday”. A track that would not be out of place on “Funeral” by Arcade Fire. Melancholy engulfs a delicate narrative of an obvious topic (not to be played on rainy days or Sunday mornings, or God forbid, your own birthday).

“Wherever You Go” and “Conventional Wisdom” are a sure fire blast from the past. Classically penned, but so, so captivating. The latter has a great break towards the end starting with guitar harmonies and flows into a cavernous loop with wailing solos which just entrances you.

You have time to get your breath back with “Gone”. Dare I say, of almost Floyd proportions, you have to hear it to believe what I say, it’s remarkable! “Mess With Time” and “Just A Habit” play to the old Built To Spill philosophy of exaggerated guitar solos and a trance like repetitive backdrop.

By the time you get to “The Wait”, you feel like you have been hauled up, dragged away and relived the journey of the last five years. Sometimes challenging but always enjoyable, “You In Reverse” offers everything from all directions. There are many influences and many styles but one overriding factor, that Built To Spill have nurtured all their talents to record their best album to date.

9/10
Elliott Bambrough

BTS TOUR POSTPONED
The national tour that was supposed to coincide with release is postponed due to emergency surgery. Doug Martsch suffered a detached retina and as a result is restricted to ample rest. All tickets will be honored or refundable. 04/07/06
Old 04-11-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's nice to hear new material after five years. It's a good album. Also, these guys are on myspace. http://www.myspace.com/builttospill
Old 04-12-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's quite a contender for "best" next to Keep it Like a Secret. i can't get enough of this album. it only fails towards the last couple songs, which lose their hooks and drag a bit.
Old 04-12-06, 09:38 AM

I still need to take a listen, so far the album has been getting so so reviews, but I like what I heard from it so far. My friend is helping out with the lighting for them at irving plaza so I will probably check them out at 1 of the 3 shows.
Old 04-12-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked it up last night. First listen it didn't really jump out at me that much, not really as catchy as their previous albums. Plus the lyrics seem a lot more muffled by the music than their previous works too. But I started getting into it more the 2nd time through. Seems the songs are fairly complex, which is usually a good thing - just takes some time for them to grow on you. So I'm pretty satisfied with it right now, and I'm sure I'll come to love it after a few more listens.
Old 04-12-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TripWire
I still need to take a listen, so far the album has been getting so so reviews, but I like what I heard from it so far. My friend is helping out with the lighting for them at irving plaza so I will probably check them out at 1 of the 3 shows.
based on metacritic, it seems to be getting mostly positive reviews... so, you must be getting your info solely from pitchfork

http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...l/youinreverse