Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

LaLa.com: CD swapping dirt cheap

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

LaLa.com: CD swapping dirt cheap

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vryce
I wish some people would acknowledge receipt faster.
I'm thinking that some newer members might be in my boat. I sent out my first five immediately and then agreed to send out five more, but I haven't received a 2nd batch of shipping envelopes yet. I thought they'd be here by now, but it's taking a week for them to arrive. In the meantime there are people expecting their discs to arrive any day and I haven't even sent them out. Slows everyone down. At least after the initial first stage they allow you to receive 10 shipping envelopes so after this slowdown I'll be at a point where I won't be stuck like this again.

edit... um, my response didn't make sense to your point... sorry!

Last edited by atlantamoi; 04-25-06 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 07:19 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'm thinking that some newer members might be in my boat. I sent out my first five immediately and then agreed to send out five more, but I haven't received a 2nd batch of shipping envelopes yet. I thought they'd be here by now, but it's taking a week for them to arrive. In the meantime there are people expecting their discs to arrive any day and I haven't even sent them out. Slows everyone down. At least after the initial first stage they allow you to receive 10 shipping envelopes so after this slowdown I'll be at a point where I won't be stuck like this again.

edit... um, my response didn't make sense to your point... sorry!
It does, to a point. I'd be fine if that was the case, if people used the blurb thing to note that. Some people do, and that's great. Some, don't it seems.

I am a new member as well, but haven't been waiting for shipping envelops. As soon as I sent out my 5, I requested 5 more envelops. I received them a couple days later and I'm on track again. Just yesterday, I requested 10 more envelops and cd cases. I guess after you ship a certain amount, you can request more supplies.

I use the blurb feature on those members taht have their name show up. I leave a message saying that I received a cd and marked it as such so it takes a slot of their list. If it is one I am sending, I write a blurb saying it went out in the mail.

For those that don't have their name show up, I use the new email feature to send them a message letting them know I received or sent a cd out.

But, it still is a new service. It should get better, I hope, as things go on.
Still, you can't beat $1.50 plus trading a cd you don't want for a "new" cd your receive.
Old 04-25-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a few people who show up as "undisclosed" that I've sent discs to. Why doesn't their name show up? I don't see any option to actually turn my username display off, so not sure how they got theirs to go away.
Old 04-25-06, 07:58 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jeraden
I have a few people who show up as "undisclosed" that I've sent discs to. Why doesn't their name show up? I don't see any option to actually turn my username display off, so not sure how they got theirs to go away.
I've got about 4 people in my traded list that have undisclosed.
It is an option you can turn on or off.

Once you are logged in, go to the "My Account" link.
Then, click on the "change" link near your nickname.
Take out the check from the second box "Display my nickname and allow me to see the nicknames of those I trade with"

Save the changes. Your nickname should now show up as undisclosed to those you trade with.
Old 04-25-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
I wish some people would acknowledge receipt faster.
Yep, as a lala addict I found the first couple of weeks agonizing. Once they added the PM feature I started PM'ing recipients to encourage them to acknowledge receipt ASAP.

Once receipt is acknowledged for your first 5-6 CDs, it really opens up, and you can have 10 going in and out at once. It's a liberating feeling
Old 04-25-06, 08:19 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Cool. I can't wait until I can have 10 in and out at once. I'm stuck with 4 now waiting on receipt acknowledgement. I had one of my 5 confirm today and another cd on my want list was shipped.

It is definetly going a lot faster then I thought it would be.
Old 04-25-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chino77
but .24 can get me a pack of ramon noodles!
ramon actually hates it when you buy his noodles
Old 04-25-06, 09:56 AM

I can currently have 15 shipped out at a time. Not sure how many I can have in at a time. I am actually hoping they introduce a throttle feature that you can allows you to give yourself a monthly limit. I'd hate to have a big nasty bill at the end of the month.
Old 04-25-06, 10:11 AM

This has been pretty cool so far; I have traded 17 discs and gotten 20 since joining, so I am impressed with that. I just need more envelopes now. The idea of a monthly limit isn't too bad, though I don't have enough titles in my have list to really run up a huge total coming back to me.
Old 04-25-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil
I can currently have 15 shipped out at a time. Not sure how many I can have in at a time. I am actually hoping they introduce a throttle feature that you can allows you to give yourself a monthly limit. I'd hate to have a big nasty bill at the end of the month.
Surely it can't be that bad. I've done 10 in two weeks so looking at that it is 20 a month = $30. That ain't bad at all, especially for 20 discs.

Just received my fourth. I am 0/4 on inserts. If I'm not up to a 50% average by my tenth, I'm going to stop sending out mine.
Old 04-25-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
I'm in, lala name is AGuyNamedMike. I'm looking to ditch about half of my 400+ collection. Thanks for the USAToday link, Buford!

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 05-03-06 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 01:02 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Cool. I've been trying to add everyone from this thread as friends. I like to see what kinds of music people listen to. My name on lala is the same as it is here.
Old 04-25-06, 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=Michael Corvin]Surely it can't be that bad. I've done 10 in two weeks so looking at that it is 20 a month = $30. That ain't bad at all, especially for 20 discs.QUOTE]

It all depends on what your budget for entertainment is my friend...
Old 04-25-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

< - Mine is Corvin but don't expect an accurate representation of what I listen to. Everything listed is what I'm dumping with the exception of the handful I'm receiving that it automatically adds to my "have" list.
Old 04-25-06, 01:26 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
< - Mine is Corvin but don't expect an accurate representation of what I listen to. Everything listed is what I'm dumping with the exception of the handful I'm receiving that it automatically adds to my "have" list.

Hmmm.. Should I then be embarrased to say that a couple of your cds I put on my want list.

I'm going through this kick where I'm looking for music I listened to while I grew up.

I received recently, Enuff Z'Nuff's first cd. From your list, I marked Firehouse, Nelson, and one more I think.
Old 04-25-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's all good. I'm at my limit right now so it hasn't gotten through on my end yet. I had this giant box of about 250 CDs I went through when I signed up and while I enjoyed them in my youth, it would be cool to try and swap them for something more my tastes these days.

Speaking of, I just got the brand new Rob Zombie CD in the mail today. It just came out a few weeks ago! I have a feeling there will be a bunch of users that just use this as a ripping and swap kind of site. I actually hang on to my cds(obviously as noticed by the CDs you listed) and have actually put a few on my want list that I had downloaded in the past and never gave the artist any due. This is a cheap and easy way to rectify that type of behavior.
Old 04-25-06, 03:16 PM

I have a feeling there will be a bunch of users that just use this as a ripping and swap kind of site.
If that is the case, lala should be very careful or lawsuits will follow...

Just so everyone knows, at the end of May lala will be starting a premium service for users who only want to receive CDs accompanied by liner notes. Sounds good to me
Old 04-25-06, 03:37 PM

My user name on La La is Batboy
Old 04-25-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by chino77
does anyone know a site that has cd covers with the spine also that i can print? mostly what i care about is the cover and the back with the spine so i can see the cds in my shelf. i figure then i can just print it out if i dont recieve it.
Here you go.

I can't vouch for quality though.
Old 04-25-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
So far, I'm liking this site. Getting a disc that I've wanted for eons (Young Fresh Fellows). I was about to trade a Tricky CD I don't care for and decided to listen to it first to make sure. Oops. The delay cost me the trade since it seems someone else sent it to the person seeking. Little lesson learned.
I was just rereading the thread and adding everyone as friends and noticed this post, which isn't necessarily true. They could have just reached their max in transit putting all their other wants on hold. Once they clear their queue it might pop back up again. I've already had that happen once. I've also lost out on one as well so it could go either way.
Old 04-25-06, 05:31 PM

Here you go.

I can't vouch for quality though.
funny thing, i happened to stumble across that site looking for the covers of tom waits "rain dogs" cd that i recieved from la la. seems like the best site i could find. does anyone know if that cd has much of an insert? or is it just one page like alot of the older cds are?
Old 04-26-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Evil
I get what your saying, but you could just limit the amount you want by the amount you send. Not sure I would want to continue to send out and get credit for CDs I may never get.
Old 04-26-06, 03:13 PM

I actually hang on to my cds(obviously as noticed by the CDs you listed) and have actually put a few on my want list that I had downloaded in the past and never gave the artist any due. This is a cheap and easy way to rectify that type of behavior.
Sorta. I mean, it's not like the artist is getting money from your exchange. But I'm working the same plan, so I probably shouldn't say anything.
Old 04-26-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bjhess
Sorta. I mean, it's not like the artist is getting money from your exchange. But I'm working the same plan, so I probably shouldn't say anything.
The plan is to give them something:

Originally Posted by LaLa
la la plans to create a registry where artists can come and identify themselves and claim ownership for each album they've been a part of. We'll ask for certain forms of identification to make sure the individual is who they say are, and then do a basic check using industry databases. Once registered, the artist will receive 20% of the $1 la la fee everytime one of their CDs is traded. If there are disputes amongst artists over percentages, we will mediate in an attempt to resolve the dispute. If no resolution is reached, the money will go to our 501(c) charitable foundation. This foundation will focus on providing performing musicians with subsidized healthcare, legal services, and support.
Old 04-27-06, 12:46 PM

Very interesting, MC. I'll be surprised (and impressed and happy) if they pull it off, but thanks for the info.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.