Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Courtney Love sells Nirvana

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Courtney Love sells Nirvana

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Nirvana Soundtracks Baseball Video Game
Also: Tapes n Tapes to headline "2K Sports Hit-n-Run Tour"

Last year, when Courtney Love sold a 25% share of her stake in the Nirvana publishing catalog to music publisher Larry Mestel, a guy who would help her with licensing matters, she told Rolling Stone, "We're going to remain very tasteful, and we're going to [retain] the spirit of Nirvana and take Nirvana places it's never been before."

Well, we sure hope Kurt Cobain was a baseball fan, because Nirvana's "Breed" has turned up on the soundtrack to 2K Sports' Major League Baseball 2K7 video game, due out February 27.

But the Nirvana song isn't the only interesting thing about the MLB 2K7 music. Following in the footsteps of their Sub Pop-sound tracked hockey game, quality hip-hop-based basketball one and the Matador-friendly MLB 2K6, the 2K folks have assembled a stellar collection of tunes for MLB 2K7, including songs by the Stooges, Pixies, the Specials, Les Savy Fav, the Thermals, Death From Above 1979, the Walkmen, Tapes 'n Tapes, Bishop Allen, and Wolfmother.

There are no plans for a CD release of the soundtrack, but it is streaming online. The list of songs featured in the soundtrack, in alphabetical order by artist name, is below. (Dude, remember Nerf Herder?!)

2K is, however, planning to feature Tapes 'n Tapes as headliners on the upcoming "2K Sports Hit-n-Run Tour", which we previously reported as a regular old Tapes 'n Tapes tour. On the 2K-sponsored dates of the tour, concertgoers can play MLB 2K7 head-to-head and win various prizes.

Playing video games, listening to Tapes 'n Tapes...it'll be just like an average night in your bedroom. But with other people.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...Game_Commercia

I just saw the commercial using "Breed" today.
Old 03-04-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the commercial and realized it was "Breed." I was (and still am) not sure how I feel about it.
Old 03-04-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well... I guess...put it this way... with the fact that no one listens to (music) radio anymore and MTV and VH1 just don't play music anymore, how else is anyone supposed to get turned on to music these days?

Nirvana is old. The Stooges are old. Even if modern radio still played music and people listened to it and MTV/VH1 still played videos, they still wouldn't be playing Nirvana and the Stooges. Commercials and video games are just about the only way for kids these days to get turned onto music. Sad but true...
Old 03-05-07, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Commercials and video games are just about the only way for kids these days to get turned onto music. Sad but true...
They should put music on the internet.
Old 03-05-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Well... I guess...put it this way... with the fact that no one listens to (music) radio anymore and MTV and VH1 just don't play music anymore, how else is anyone supposed to get turned on to music these days?

Nirvana is old. The Stooges are old. Even if modern radio still played music and people listened to it and MTV/VH1 still played videos, they still wouldn't be playing Nirvana and the Stooges. Commercials and video games are just about the only way for kids these days to get turned onto music. Sad but true...

Boy I seem to recall tales of record sales of music when a site called napster was first opened up. Perhaps the RIAA may have been a little rash when they closed that down, but they would never make the wrong decision.
Old 03-06-07, 10:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool !

Last edited by MANBREASTS; 03-07-07 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fine with me. The sooner everyone stops deifying Nirvana (and Cobain), the better.
Old 03-07-07, 12:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After hearing the Violent Femmes' "Blister in the Sun" on a Wendys commerical, nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 03-07-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
"Heroin" by the Velvet Underground in a car commercial tops anything.
Old 05-01-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Courtney Love sells Nirvana

Ouch...

Note From Kurt Cobain's Wallet Scorning Courtney Love Released by Seattle Police

Twenty years after Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain was discovered dead in his Seattle home, police have released a note found in his wallet that was kept private until now.

The note, which was obtained by CBS, mocks the rock idol’s vows with his then-wife Courtney Love, adding further intrigue to the two’s marriage and how that and his personal life led to his demise.

It reads: "Do you Kurt Cobain take Courtney Michelle Love to be your lawful shredded wife," he wrote. "even when she’s a bitch with zits and siphoning all yr money for doping and whoring…"

The note is written on stationery from the Phoenix Hotel outside of San Francisco and is in stark contrast to Cobain’s presumed suicide note that calls Love a “goddess of a wife who sweats ambition and empathy.”

As well, Seattle Police have publicly released 34 photographs taken at the crime scene. See them in a gallery at the Seattle Police Department blotter website.

Last month, Seattle Police Department Cold Case Detective Mike Ciesynski reviewed the Cobain case. To prepare, he said he studied conspiracy documentaries, articles and TV shows about Cobain’s death.

"We knew with the 20th anniversary coming up and we knew there was going to be a lot of media interest," he said in a statement. "I've been a detective in homicide for 20 years and I've been in the cold case unit for 10 years. Most of the cases I work on, I look for something that wasn’t done [in the investigation] in the past."

The review confirmed the King County Medical Examiner's original determination that Cobain's death was a suicide, using a shotgun to shoot himself after taking what would have likely been a lethal dose of heroin.

Though it is unusual for police to reopen a case closed two decades ago, Ciesynski said in the statement that because of the case’s high profile, detectives put the Cobain file into storage: "There were so many conspiracy theories out there, it was good judgement on their behalf to hold to this."
Old 05-01-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Yeah saw that days ago... furthers my opinion she was directly/indirectly involved in his Death/Suicide.
Old 05-01-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

They are saying it looks more like her writing. Might be a joke note she wrote and he kept in his wallet?
Old 05-01-14, 04:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would pay good money to never hear anyone mention that Courtney Love might have been involved in Kurt's death. It's been 20 years. Just enjoy the music and be done with it.
Old 05-01-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will only truly be able to enjoy teh music when she's behind bars.
Old 05-01-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dan30oly
I will only truly be able to enjoy teh music when she's behind bars.
i cannot rest my weary head until she is held in a bamboo cage like an American POW in Nam.

and monkeys (or monkees) pelt her with feces.
Old 05-01-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd just like for her to put out another good Hole album.
Old 05-02-14, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'd just like for her to put out another good Hole album.
Me too. I think "Live Through This" (no matter who actually wrote the songs) is a classic album. I liked the "Celebrity Skin" album too.

I've never understood why so many can't stand her.

All I care about is the music.
Old 05-02-14, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone else see this....
Old 05-02-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

where did that come from... intrigued
Old 05-02-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by saoirse
If you really think he did it.
Old 05-03-14, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Me too. I think "Live Through This" (no matter who actually wrote the songs) is a classic album. I liked the "Celebrity Skin" album too.
"Celebrity Skin" not as much, but I really, really like "Live Through This".
Old 05-03-14, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zero
Anyone else see this....
You always know a documentary is serious when it includes cheesy re-creation sequences with lookalike actors .
Old 05-05-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't get all the conspiracy hater posts....they guy simply said "if you believe he did it"

What the fuck evidence do you have that he definitely did do it? None right? so why is it so crazy to believe that maybe he didn't and someone else was involved?

It's that simple, some info can lead you to believe that hey, maybe, just maybe he didn't do it to himself "Aw man you're crazy - fucking conspiracy retard, blah blah blah blah blah".

I just never understood this approach or mindset. Most people using the conspiracy line will then say "Cause they found hard evidence..." again, you weren't there and you don't know and there is nothing wrong with someone assuming something else took place.
Old 05-06-14, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11
I don't get all the conspiracy hater posts....they guy simply said "if you believe he did it"

What the fuck evidence do you have that he definitely did do it? None right? so why is it so crazy to believe that maybe he didn't and someone else was involved?

It's that simple, some info can lead you to believe that hey, maybe, just maybe he didn't do it to himself "Aw man you're crazy - fucking conspiracy retard, blah blah blah blah blah".

I just never understood this approach or mindset. Most people using the conspiracy line will then say "Cause they found hard evidence..." again, you weren't there and you don't know and there is nothing wrong with someone assuming something else took place.
Why the hell would the Seattle police conspire to cover this up?

Lifetime membership in the Hole Fan Club?

It's far more of a stretch to doubt the coroner's report than to doubt the conspiracy theory.
Old 05-06-14, 01:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11

First, the bigger the conspiracy, the harder it is to truly keep it a secret.

Second, I just don't care. He's dead, she's free, unless someone finds a video of Love blowing Cobain's brains out that's not going to change. From virtually the moment the news broke up to today, anytime Cobain's death is mentioned, someone jumps in to say that Love probably did it. It's tiresome. The horse has been beat to death so long ago that now you're just pounding dirt.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.