Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Replacements box set + more news

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-22-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://members.aol.com/paulspage/news.htm

I'm sure many of you have heard bits and pieces about the upcoming Rhino Mats box set. I was hoping to nail down the details before posting anything and I'm still working on that but in the meantime, here's some initial info on the project.

Check out this Rhino podcast, which features an interview with Tommy (at about 15:30 into the podcast) about all the things he's working on, including the box set. This will be a joint relase with Ryko and will include previously unreleased stuff (yay), a DVD with live footage, including SNL, and some European TV appearances. Aside from the box set, Tommy talks about a bunch of other projects he's working on including G n' R, a movie soundtrack, his solo stuff and playing with Soul Asylum. Also includes a discussion of what a snappy dresser Tommy is.

In addition to the box, "Bastards of Young: The Best of Replacements" is slated to be released on May 23. This is a single CD best-of and I'm not certain yet if this will include just album tracks or also have a bonus track or two. Note that this release date is just for the best-of CD, the box set is coming out at a later date.

Elsewhere, check out the continued progess on the Mats fan documentary "Color Me Obsessed", the trailer will be showing at Noisepop in SF on March 30 at 7:15PM, click here for the details.

The most recent Westerberg/Mats tribute night took place in MPLS on March 11 at The Terminal Bar. Check out the MWT message board for some videos and MP3s from the show.
Old 03-22-06, 03:37 PM

I would love a DVD from the Replacements.
Old 03-22-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Awesome, I'm eager to check out the box set. The 2-disc best of/rarities disc they did a few years ago was pretty good, so I'm not sure I'll get the hits CD though.
Old 03-22-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The DVD is the one thing that could get me to buy this. Just like with the Pretenders, it doesn't make sense spending that much money when I already have all their material (to this point). But it's great this box might be in the works.
Old 03-22-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm... no track listing for the best of? Not that it matters. All the Replacements fans already have everything.

Very anxiously awaiting the box set though.
Old 03-30-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like the best of will include new material!!!

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
hmmm... no track listing for the best of? Not that it matters. All the Replacements fans already have everything.

Very anxiously awaiting the box set though.
Don't speak too soon!

from pitchfork:

The Replacements Return!
James Gregory reports:
Color us fucking impressed: Original flannel gods the Replacements have recorded their first new material since 1990. According to a press release from Rhino Records, 3/4 of the original lineup (and the only surviving ones), Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson, and Chris Mars, reconvened last December in Minneapolis to record two new Westerberg-penned tunes, "Message to the Boys" and "Pool & Dive," for the upcoming Replacements compilation Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?: The Best of the Replacements.

According to Billboard.com, the tracks were recorded at producer Ed Ackerson's Flowers Studio. Josh Freese (Vandals, A Perfect Circle) played the drums; original drummer Mars opted out of stick duties in favor of recording backing vocals. No mention was made of former guitarist Slim Dunlap who performed with the band from 1987 to 1991, following original guitarist Bob Stinson's departure. (Bob Stinson died in 1995.)

Shit, even if these two new songs are an embarrassment, isn't that just the kind of Replacements-worthy fuckup that's always made them so endearing? Yeah, either way we win.

Don't You Know Who I Think I Was? is scheduled for release on June 13, and will feature 18 classic tracks alongside the pair of new recording. It will also mark the second officially sanctioned 'Mats compilation since the group disbanded in 1991, and the first to encompass their entire career, as 1997's All For Nothing, Nothing For All only documented their later, less influential, years on Sire.

Bring your own lampshade, kids:

01 Takin a Ride
02 Shiftless When Idle
03 Kids Don't Follow
04 Color Me Impressed
05 Within Your Reach
06 I Will Dare
07 Answering Machine
08 Unsatisfied
09 Here Comes a Regular
10 Kiss Me on the Bus
11 Bastards of Young
12 Left of the Dial
13 Alex Chilton
14 Skyway
15 Can't Hardly Wait
16 Achin' to Be
17 I'll Be You
18 Merry Go Round
19 Message to the Boys *
20 Pool & Dive *

* new tracks

As if that isn't enough news from the long-dormant outfit, a recent Rhino podcast revealed details of a Replacements box set tentatively due out next year. Featuring a new interview with founding member (and current Guns n' Roses bassist) Tommy Stinson, the podcast unveiled plans for a multi-disc package that will draw from the band's entire back catalog, including a host of previously unreleased material, as well as a DVD of live performances.

"It's been going on for awhile," Stinson said. "It's going to include all the Twin/Tone records, all of the Warner Bros. records, bonus tracks, some stuff that's been in the vault for awhile, as well as a DVD part. Our role is basically to listen to the outtakes, some stuff that's been sitting there for awhile, and find out what might be worth having and what might not be worth having. [We'll] probably have to mix a little bit, some of the stuff's been sitting in vaults for so long, it just kind of needs to be fixed."

When asked about the DVD, Stinson continued, "I think they've got the "Saturday Night Live" stuff, and some of the stuff we did in Europe, like "The Old Gray Whistle Test" and some TV stuff in Holland a long time ago. [We'll] just kind of put it all together and make a nice package of it."

Wow, and all we've really been itching for is an update on the long-promised overhaul of the 'Mats original LP catalog, which Billboard.com reports is currently in the works.

We'll keep you posted on details, but in the meantime, fans can keep busy with a pair of upcoming soundtrack efforts from both Westerberg and Stinson-- who are scoring the films Open Season and Catch and Release, respectively. The former is a kids flick and the latter is a Jennifer Garner movie. Sigh.
Old 03-30-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That all sounds really cool! Whatever happened with the rumor that the band threw a bunch of master tapes into a river? Probably bogus. Hearing that they got back together for a couple of new tunes makes me wonder what took them so long, actually.
Old 03-30-06, 04:20 PM

I love the fact that they're going all the way back to Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash. I know Westerberg hates that album.
Old 03-30-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
That all sounds really cool! Whatever happened with the rumor that the band threw a bunch of master tapes into a river? Probably bogus. Hearing that they got back together for a couple of new tunes makes me wonder what took them so long, actually.
Probably waiting for some of that Pixies money...
Old 03-30-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Still waiting for a Hüsker Dü boxset but this will do as well.
Old 03-30-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a great track listing. All of those songs would be on any "best of" personal comp that I would make.

Anyone know who plays lead on the new songs? Is it Slim Dunlap? Or just Paul?

Can't wait for that box set!!!
Old 03-30-06, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
They actually did do that because they didn't want their music to be released on CD, but it ended up just being either some duplicates or outtakes, according to "Our Band Could Be Your Life."
Old 05-04-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tommy Stinson was just on the Jim Rome show. Paul was supposed to be there, but no showed (so far). Still going on...

Jim played a new song. Very good! Sounded like the Replacements!
Old 05-10-06, 06:38 PM

You can hear some clips from the new songs here:
http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDe...o?Number=70013
Old 06-13-06, 08:18 PM

Did anybody else pick up the "Best of" today? The two new songs are good.
Here's an article from newsweek. Possible new album?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13121949/site/newsweek/
Old 06-14-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, I picked it up - but I gotta say I'm a little dissapointed in the re-mastering job.

I was comparing it to the All For Nothing 2 CD compilation that came out in 1998, and the sound on that is a few notches better (a little louder & brighter). Surprising that a CD released eight years ago would have better sound than something just re-mastered this year. Guess that's the difference between Bob Ludwig (All For Nothing) and Dan Hersh & Bill Ingot (Don't You Know...).
Old 06-14-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow! That's disappointing about the mastering! I think I'll hold off for the box set though.
Old 11-25-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone burned the new compilation to itunes?

I burned this to itunes and made my own Repacements mix and every time I go to burn the disc I get an error message. Copyright silliness?
Old 03-07-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The Replacements box set + more news

Another box set is on the horizon...

The Replacements Reissuing Entire Catalog as Eight-Disc Box Set
By Zoe Camp on March 6, 2015 at 8:00 a.m. EST

Between the free-jazz compositions and their forthcoming North American tour (their first in 25 years, natch), the Replacements have been staying active lately. Since reuniting in 2013, they've played a handful of shows, fueling rumors of a new album in the process.

Today, the Replacments have revealed that a different release in the works: an eight-disc box set comprising the band's seven-album discography, plus 1982's Stink EP. The Complete Studio Albums 1981-1990 will be released on April 14 via Rhino. Fidelity-wise, the LPs are identical to the remastered deluxe editions which were released in 2008.

The label announced the collection alongside a marked-up press release that they claim was sent to the band for review; as you can see, they had more than a few suggestions for improvement. Below the flyer, find all of the 'Mats' upcoming tour dates.

Read our feature on the return of the Replacements.

The Replacements:

04-09 Seattle, WA - Paramount Theatre
04-10 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
04-13 San Francisco, CA - Masonic
04-16 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
04-19 Denver, CO - The Fillmore
04-29 Chicago, IL - The Riviera Theatre
04-30 Chicago, IL - The Riviera Theatre
05-02 Milwaukee, WI - Eagles Ballroom
05-03 Detroit, MI - The Fillmore
05-05 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
05-06 Columbus, OH - LC Pavilion
05-08 Washington, DC - Echostage
05-09 Philadelphia, PA - Festival Pier
05-28 Barcelona, Spain - Primavera Sound
05-30 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Paradiso
06-02 London, England - Roundhouse
http://pitchfork.com/news/58746-the-...-disc-box-set/

Per the picture of the press release in the article, MSRP will be $60. This is good for those that never picked up the most recent reissues, I guess.
Old 09-29-19, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

“Dead Man’s Pop” gets this Mats fan’s highest recommendation
Old 09-30-19, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I am interested in Dead Man's Pop, but not at the price it is being offered. I hate when releases mix cds and vinyl. I have no interest in vinyl so it's inclusion just puts it at a price that does not work for me. If it was only cds, I could probably find it for around $40. Also, the included concert is not as good as the Maxwell's gig they released a year or so back.