DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Help with Classical Music (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/457619-help-classical-music.html)

paulringodaman 03-01-06 11:50 PM

Help with Classical Music

Can I get a list of "famous" pieces of classical music...By famous I mean, the avg person could hum along

An example would be the William Tell Overture, or Beethoven's 9th

Thanks!!

Tommy Ceez 03-01-06 11:51 PM

Check the track lists for the CLASSICAL MUSIC FOR PEOPLE WHO HATE CLASSICLE MUSIC cd sets

wendersfan 03-03-06 10:24 AM

Mozart's "Eine Kliene Nachtmusik" is an obvious (and catchy!) choice. So is the intro to his 40th Symphony.

Also, selections from JS Bach's Brandenburg Concertos and many opera arias, e.g., from Verdi's <i>Rigoletto</i>, <i>Il Trovatore</i> (a personal favorite of mine), and Rossini's <i>The Barber of Seville</i>.

SAShepherd 03-03-06 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
You can start with Bach's 6 Brandenburg Concertos. Nectar of the gods.

Yes, but unfamiliar to 99.5% of the population.

Copland's "Rodeo Suite" [Beef. It's What's For Dinner.]

Y'know, there must be a website that tracks "classical music in movies" or "classical music in advertising." I think most of your commonly-known pieces would be in any such list.

wendersfan 03-03-06 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by SAShepherd
Yes, but unfamiliar to 99.5% of the population.

Copland's "Rodeo Suite" [Beef. It's What's For Dinner.]

Y'know, there must be a website that tracks "classical music in movies" or "classical music in advertising." I think most of your commonly-known pieces would be in any such list.

Barber's <i>Adagio for Strings</i> instantly leaps to mind, along with the Carmina Burana.

SAShepherd 03-03-06 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Barber's <i>Adagio for Strings</i> instantly leaps to mind, along with the Carmina Burana.

I actually thought about <i>Adagio</i> and jettisoned it because it's a) not hummable (OP did say "hum along"), and -- more seriously -- b) I wonder if the average 35-year-old today knows about it the way the average 35-year-old might have known about it 30 years ago (in the wake of its Kennedy-related use). Beautiful piece, but the last memorable use of it was, I think, in <b>Platoon</b>. And that's pushing 20 years ago...

Trout 03-03-06 07:47 PM

O Fortuna...but you may hurt yourself humming it.

mndtrp 03-05-06 03:02 AM

Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyeries"

At least the first part would be hummable and recognizable.

fliggil 03-05-06 08:40 AM

Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", the Spring Concerto is rather famous, you should recognize the opening, and another section of it used to be in all those A Diamond is Forever commercials although I haven't seen one in a while.

BTW if you have DVD-Audio capabilities, I recommend Anne-Sophie Mutter's recording.

Corvin 03-05-06 08:17 PM

Pachabel's Canon and Bach's Air Suite.