Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rick Rubin to produce new Metallica Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rick Rubin to produce new Metallica Album

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I think this will be a great combination (Rubin + Metallica).
Old 10-10-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=600508
Old 10-11-07, 04:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice picture's. This is the first thing that popped in my head when I saw all four.

Lars= He needs to take off all those bracelets and grow his hair long again. He looks like an eccentric gay drama teacher who drives a toyota Prius.

James= He looks like he needs to loosen up and have a drink.

Kirk= He looks like he's about two years away from looking like a Mexican Steven Wright.

Robert= He looks like the microwave burritto he ate is just about starting to make it's way out of his ass. ( His bass looks fricken sweet though ).

Anyway I hope the new album kicks ass.
Old 10-24-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New Songs 'Heavier But More Melodic'

Tom Lanham of Examiner.com recently conducted an interview with METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

On how being a father is more demanding than anything else he has ever done in his life:

"Because having kids has changed everything in my life, from my relations to other people to my awareness of myself — you find yourself getting involved, getting passionate, paying attention, you find yourself for the first time in your life thinking of others and not just yourself."

On his strict regular daily ritual that begins when the rooster crows:

"The alarm clock goes off at 6:45 a.m., I get a quick cup of tea while I check the headlines in the paper, and then I, you know...start.

On how, hailing from Denmark along with his girlfriend Connie Nielsen, they're unable to vote in this country:

"But we pay taxes and have American kids. So we try to be as active in our community as we can be to contribute to our kids' futures. And instead of thinking about the next METALLICA record as your priority, you're thinking about your kids. And the METALLICA stuff kind of works its way around that."

On the band's decision to waive longtime producer Bob Rock for Rick Rubin for the new album (which is tentatively due in February):

"For our own sanity, our own creative survival, we needed to work with a different set of circumstances and dynamics. So we've been stripped of our defense mechanisms, and it's been very invigorating to be challenged again. Rick's taken everything we've known about making records and completely turned it upside down."

On working songtitles:

"There's one called '19', '10', 'German Soup', 'Glass Cow', and even 'Black Squirrel'. Just names that relate to where the idea came from, like Glasgow, Scotland became 'Glass Cow'. And when we don't have anything clever to call it, we just call it a number. They're just silly working titles."

On whether the songs are punchier, four or five minutes long:

"Well, the most of the intros are four to five minutes. I don't know — METALLICA and short songs just don't go that well together. But whereas 'St. Anger' was an exercise in over-pummelling the listener, these new songs echo some of our stuff from the '80s — long, epic journeys through different musical landscapes, heavier, but a lot more melodic."

On playing the Bridge School Benefit this coming weekend:

"When Neil Young calls, all you say is yes, and when and where.' Neil has dedicated his whole life to helping others, so when he calls you don't ask any questions. All you do is show up."

Source: Blabbermouth.Net
Old 10-26-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shay Quillen of the Mercury News recently conducted an interview with METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

On the band's upcoming acoustic set at the Bridge School Benefit:

"It's not just straight-up acoustic. There's a little more emphasis obviously on the vocals, on the lyrics, on the melodies than there is when you're playing full-on. So you try to find songs that have relevant lyrics and strong melodies, and then you sit down and try to come up with some different reinterpretations."

On attending the Bridge School Benefit every year that their schedule allows:

"Whether you're playing or whether you're just hanging, it's always a good time, and it's always interesting."

On playing the event for the first time in 1997:

"There were some songs we did last time where we turned an uppity METALLICA song into a shuffle thing. Or you take some stuff and bring it way down in tempo. So it's a great opportunity to re-look at your stuff, and to me that's one of the most inspiring and challenging things about the gig."

"It just puts a different slant on it. When you're playing these gigs, it's like, 'Oh, my left toe hurts,' or 'My glass of Gatorade doesn't have nine ice cubes in it, like I asked for.' You come out at the Bridge School in front of that group of young kids, and it's like, 'OK.' All of a sudden that stuff just doesn't seem so relevant anymore."

On working on the band's ninth studio album with producer Rick Rubin:

"Rick has, obviously, a very different way of doing it. Everything about him is about the vibe, how we play with each other, how we connect to each other. He couldn't give a . . . [damn] what the individual sounds are like, or how perfect."

"You know, when you get a little older, you get kind of set in your own ways. It's good when the safety net and that whole thing is stripped away from you."

"Certainly compared to the last record, there's a lot more dynamics and different shades — fast and slow, heavy and lighter. It's more progressive and nuttier, and the songs are longer and have lots of crazy guitar solos."

"We actually enjoy being in the same room a lot more now than we did five years ago, and we're making a record now without any sort of hand-holding. It's all good."
Old 10-30-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This past weekend's Bridge School shows are now available at LiveMetallica.com. Metallica headlined both nights playing two acoustic sets full of rare cover songs as well as some Metallica classics. The net proceeds from these downloads go to benefit The Bridge School.

10/27/07 The Bridge School Benefit, Mountain View, CA

I Just Want To Celebrate
Please Don't Judas Me
Only Happy When It Rains
Brothers In Arms
Disposable Heroes
All Within My Hands
Turn the Page
Nothing Else Matters

Total Running Time: :52:58

*This was Metallica's second appearance at the all acoustic Bridge School Benefit. Their first appearance took place on October 18 and 19 in 1997. The setlist back than was Low Man's Lyric, Helpless, Tuesday's Gone, Poor Twisted Me, Fade to Black, The Four Horsemen, Nothing Else Matters, and Last Caress.

*I Just Want to Celebrate was originally recorded by Rare Earth in 1971 on the One World album.

*Please Don't Judas Me was originally recorded by Nazareth in 1975 on the Hair of the Dog album.

*Only Happy When It Rains was originally recorded by Garbage in 1995 on the Garbage album.

*Brothers In Arms was originally recorded by Dire Straits in 1985 on the Brothers In Arms album.

*This was the first time All Within My Hands, from 2003's St. Anger, has been performed live in any form.

All net proceeds from the sale of downloads of this show will be donated to the Bridge School.

10/28/07 The Bridge School Benefit, Mountain View, CA

I Just Want To Celebrate
Please Don't Judas Me
Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Brothers In Arms
Disposable Heroes
All Within My Hands
The Unforgiven
Nothing Else Matters

Total Running Time: :54:38

*This was the second of two shows benefiting the students of the Bridge School.

*Veteran of the Psychic Wars was originally recorded by Blue ֹster Cult in 1981 on the Fire of Unknown Origin album.

*The last time Metallica performed The Unforgiven in the San Francisco Bay Area was on November 15, 2005 while opening for the Rolling Stones.

*There was a short impromptu jam on ... And Justice for All right before Disposable Heroes.

*This was the second time that All Within My Hands has ever been performed live.

All net proceeds from the sale of downloads of this show will be donated to the Bridge School.
Old 10-31-07, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got both of those shows and it's well worth it. Those set's were amazing IMO! Nice to hear something different, even they were just covers.
Old 10-31-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

all within my hands acoustic is fuckin' amazing imo. as was dh!

they played some fun stuff!
Old 10-31-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to that first Bridge School show they did in Oct. of '97. It was awesome.
Old 10-31-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by db27
all within my hands acoustic is fuckin' amazing imo.
I need to listen to it!
Old 12-08-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"The Ecstasy Of Gold" is nominated in the Best Rock Instrumental Performance (For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, without vocals. Includes Rock, Hard Rock and Metal. Singles or Tracks only.) Other nominees are Rush, Joe Satriani, Bruce Springsteen, and Steve Vai.

The 50th Annual Grammy Awards will be held on Sunday, February 10th 2008 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Old 12-08-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

METALLICA, MOTÖRHEAD, NIGHTWISH and RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE are among the confirmed bands for this year's Rock am Ring and Rock im Park festivals, set to take place June 6-7 in the German towns of Nürburgring and Nürnberg, respectively. The festival billing is now shaping up as follows (in alphabetical order):

BABYSHAMBLES
BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE
DIE TOTEN HOSEN
DIMMU BORGIR
IN FLAMES
METALLICA
MOTÖRHEAD
NIGHTWISH
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
SPORTFREUNDE STILLER
THE HELLACOPTERS

More acts will be announced soon.
Old 12-08-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

METALLICA Frontman On Upcoming Album: 'We Don't Want Pretty Good, We Want Excellent' - Dec. 7, 2007

In the latest issue of the METALLICA Club (the group's official fan club) members-only magazine "So What!" METALLICA's James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett and Lars Ulrich offer more insight into the songwriting process for the group's forthcoming album. "We don't want pretty good, we want excellent and [producer] Rick Rubin is getting us to try and achieve that," Hetfield is quoted as saying. "He's [Rick] very good at getting the essence of an artist out and bringing that back to the top again. It's the 'Master of Puppets' mentality again. You need to prove the world that you're good, you need to be hungry again — you need to [put on] a showcase that says, 'Here we are, just like the first time we did it.'"

Added Hammett: "It's about doing the best that you possibly can. I have difficulty wading through all the ideas because I'm biased — I think everything we do has a lot of merit to it. In that regard Rick Rubin is great because he will just say, 'Such and such a part is not good, so come up with something else.' He just leaves the problem up to us and we just solve it between ourselves without too much interference from his side, which is completely different from [longtime METALLICA producer] Bob Rock whose musical thinking would permeate the record. Rick Rubin leaves a lot of the musical problem solving to ourselves, which keeps it more pure."

Lars commented: "A lot of the work we did after the band nearly broke up [during the making of 2003's 'St. Anger'] was not going to be so evident on the record we made at the time, but more evident on the next record, which is the one weré making now. This has been a much more enjoyable experience, much more fun, creatively stimulating and working with Rick is helping a lot."

Ulrich told Examiner.com in October that the band's upcoming album will be "heavier" yet more "melodic" than "St. Anger". Ulrich explained, "Whereas 'St. Anger' was an exercise in over-pummeling the listener, these new songs echo some of our stuff from the '80s — long, epic journeys through different musical landscapes, heavier, but a lot more melodic." When asked whether the new songs will be shorter, in the four-to-five minute range, Ulrich said, "Well, the most of the intros are four to five minutes. I don't know — METALLICA and short songs just don't go that well together."

The new METALLICA album is tentatively due in the spring.

taken from Metallica forum
Old 12-08-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MTV and Harmonix have plans to release new music weekly for the game, eventually pushing the game's library into the thousands. And DeGooyer says that musicians, both established and up-and-coming, are lining up to get their music into the game. Some artists may even forgo the traditional route of MTV or radio and premiere new songs directly on Rock Band.

"There are a couple of things we've committed to, one of them with Metallica for example," he said. "They've reserved the right to give us their first single from their new album for the game."

In other cases, musicians might release music to the game to tie in with a new record or tour, he said.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rock-band-t...how-326730.php
Old 12-08-07, 05:32 PM

The guys need to stop talking about the album IMO. Regurgitating over and over in every interview how all the work from Some Kind of Monster would pay off after St Anger and making comparisons with Master of Puppets is just hype overload. Yes we know Rick Ruben is producing the record. Yes we've heard many times that he's a genius.

I'm convinced I'm going to be let down when the new disc is released next year. There's no way it will live up to expectations.
Old 12-20-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tour Stops For 2008

Throughout the last few weeks, Metallica has made announcements on their tour stops for 2008 in support of their new album. So far, here are the confirmed tourdates:

5/28/08 - Chorzow, Poland - Slaski Stadium
5/30/08 - Maastricht, Netherlands - Pink Pop Festival
6/3/08 - Prague, Czech Republic - Slavia Stadium
6/7/08 - Nurburgring, Germany - Rock Am Ring Festival
6/8/08 - Nurnberg, Germany - Rock Im Park Festival
Old 12-20-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
METALLICA Frontman On Upcoming Album: 'We Don't Want Pretty Good, We Want Excellent' - Dec. 7, 2007

In the latest issue of the METALLICA Club (the group's official fan club) members-only magazine "So What!" METALLICA's James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett and Lars Ulrich offer more insight into the songwriting process for the group's forthcoming album. "We don't want pretty good, we want excellent and [producer] Rick Rubin is getting us to try and achieve that," Hetfield is quoted as saying. "He's [Rick] very good at getting the essence of an artist out and bringing that back to the top again. It's the 'Master of Puppets' mentality again. You need to prove the world that you're good, you need to be hungry again — you need to [put on] a showcase that says, 'Here we are, just like the first time we did it.'"
Damn. If James' would have said 'Ride The Lightning' I'd really be looking forward to hearing the album.
Old 12-21-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

lightning was OK

but Puppets, Justice and the black album were the best
Old 12-21-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
lightning was OK
Blasphemy!

Seriously, the one-two punch of "Fight Fire With Fire/Ride The Lightning", the best thrash ballad ever "Fade To Black", "Creeping Death" and "For Whom The Bell Tolls" - all metal gold.

I'll admit "Trapped Under Ice" and "Escape" kind of slow down the momentum, but IMO RTL >>>> The Black Album every day of the week.
Old 12-21-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Blasphemy!

Seriously, the one-two punch of "Fight Fire With Fire/Ride The Lightning", the best thrash ballad ever "Fade To Black", "Creeping Death" and "For Whom The Bell Tolls" - all metal gold.

I'll admit "Trapped Under Ice" and "Escape" kind of slow down the momentum, but IMO RTL >>>> The Black Album every day of the week.
Well yes, but MoP > [every other metal album ever released]

RtL is still a killer disc though.
Old 12-21-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Well yes, but MoP > [every other metal album ever released]

RtL is still a killer disc though.

Agreed.
Old 12-21-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Well yes, but Reign in Blood > [every other metal album ever released]
Fixed...
Old 12-26-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Blasphemy!

Puppets has Sanitarium and they left Damage for last where you don't have to press anything to skip it

Justice you can listen to the whole thing without skipping a song

Black is more for the top 40 crowd but still top notch

but it's hard to compare the Cliff Burton days to Jason Newsted. The former would play the bass like a guitar and with Jason the bass plays with the drums
Old 12-26-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ride the Lightning is way better than Master of Puppets! There's not a bad song on RTL. MOP has "Leper Messiah" and "The Thing That Should Not Be". Two clunkers in my opinion.
Old 12-26-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Ride the Lightning is way better than Master of Puppets! There's not a bad song on RTL. MOP has "Leper Messiah" and "The Thing That Should Not Be". Two clunkers in my opinion.

This is why I love music!! Those are 2 of the songs I like the best of MOP, though I feel it's damn near perfect.

I would argue that RTL, though I love it has "Escape" and "Trapped Under Ice" which I think really suck nuts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.