Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Song that incorporates the most styles/genres?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What song comes to mind when you think of incorporating a lot of different styles and genres? I don't mean a layered song with a lot of different instruments or samples, or a song that has 64 tracks, but something where specific conventions of genres are exercised (remixes count).

For example, Kronos Quartet (a classical string group) did a cover of "El Sinaloense" (a traditional Mexican song by Severiano Briseņo) -- then this song was remixed into a dance song.

Any other examples?
Old 02-16-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a band (can't remember the name) off some compilation that did a version of "Yesterday" in a about a dozen different styles (even polka!) in the span of 5 minutes.
Old 02-16-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bran Van 3000's "Rainshine" has distinct parts from several genres:

Female singer-songwriter music a la Sarah McLachlan.
Hip hop/rap
Dancehall reggae
90's grunge a la Nirvana

All in about 4 minutes...and suprisingly, it works.
Old 02-16-06, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of off topic but speaking of The Kronos Quartet I actually saw them live at school in a small auditorium for like $5, one of the best shows I've seen I think. Really wonderful, they played most of what was on Requiem for a Dream and some other of there Mexican stuff. I don't know they still do this but they played some stringed Hendrix, it was something else. It was some time ago so I can't remember it all but if they are around they are really worth seeing.
Old 02-16-06, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I am right, I think Nelly Furtado worked with them on her second album Folklore on some of the best songs.
Old 02-17-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cfloyd3
t was some time ago so I can't remember it all but if they are around they are really worth seeing.
They're a classical string quartet. The older they get the more respected they become. (Smart career move ).

I'm now listening to their last album which is them doing Bollywood songs along with a 70+ year old Indian vocalist.