DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   MP3 Downloads (to buy) without downloading software or becoming a subscriber? [dupe] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/453099-mp3-downloads-buy-without-downloading-software-becoming-subscriber-%5Bdupe%5D.html)

billy9215 01-21-06 03:05 PM

MP3 Downloads (to buy) without downloading software or becoming a subscriber? [dupe]

Hi, sorry if this is inappropriate, but I would like to buy MP3 songs ( you know for 99 cents or so) on a casual basis without having to download software or become a subscriber of some sort. Does such a site exist? I'm not having much luck it seems.

Suggestions?

Cheers

Dave7393 01-21-06 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by billy9215
Hi, sorry if this is inappropriate, but I would like to buy MP3 songs ( you know for 99 cents or so) on a casual basis without having to download software or become a subscriber of some sort. Does such a site exist? I'm not having much luck it seems.

Suggestions?

Cheers

Do a search of some of the forums here, and you'll find lots of what you're looking for. I do my downloading from allofmp3.com, which is a pay service, but much cheaper than Itunes. Very affordable and user friendly-- excellent quality downloads. No complaints.

billy9215 01-21-06 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dave7393
Do a search of some of the forums here, and you'll find lots of what you're looking for. I do my downloading from allofmp3.com, which is a pay service, but much cheaper than Itunes. Very affordable and user friendly-- excellent quality downloads. No complaints.

Thank you Dave, I have signed up. I ordered one track to test it out, it's in my downloads section. I right clicked on the icon next to the track but it doesn't give me the "Save as target" option?? Also, their help index is down it seems. Do I need to wait awhile to download the track?

What do you know?

Thanks much

Dave7393 01-21-06 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by billy9215
Thank you Dave, I have signed up. I ordered one track to test it out, it's in my downloads section. I right clicked on the icon next to the track but it doesn't give me the "Save as target" option?? Also, their help index is down it seems. Do I need to wait awhile to download the track?

What do you know?

Thanks much

Okay.. I'm not sure what you've done already, but this is how it should work.

To actually order a track, you give your credit card number, which gives you a debit account ($10, or whatever), then the money you spend in downloads is deducted from that. You should download their software called "all of mp3 explorer," or something like that (I've downloaded it and it's safe). This makes managing downloads alot easier. It's not necessary, but it makes managing things easier.

What's cool about the site is you can "sample" some of the songs, but the sample is non-CD quality (this might be what you have now, I'm not sure). It's just a way to hear what song you'll be purchasing. To actually purchase a song, I don't think you can use "save as." The songs are anywhere between like 8 and 25 cents, so they're very, very cheap.

I download them into a dedicated music download folder, which is synched with Windows Media Player, so all the downloads automatically show up in my library. I've downloads hundreds of songs here, and I have no complaints at all-- but it might take a few tries to get the hang of things.

One of the problems with this site is sometimes it gets busy, so you might not be able to get on, or you might have trouble downloading (this happens every so often-- just try again in a few hours). For what you're getting, these little inconveniences are worth it.

Search the boards here for allofmp3, and there's probably quite a bit of discussion on it. Hope this helps!

Dave