Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What bands namecheck themselves in song?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What bands namecheck themselves in song?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikael79
Belle and Sebastian - Beautiful (in an aftersong after the main song itself)
They also have a song called "Belle & Sebastian" on their first EP ("Dog on Wheels"). Good call though.

Also, New Kids on the Block name-checked themselves a lot.
I can't help it if my sister liked them.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 02-13-06 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-13-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
They also have a song called "Belle & Sebastian" on their first EP ("Dog on Wheels"). Good call though.
True, but they never say "Belle and Sebastian" in one phrase in that song, but instead make separate mentions of the two. In truth, B&S reference both names quite a bit in their early work, due to the fact that Stuart often referred to himself as Sebastian and Isobel as Belle.
Old 02-14-06, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
System of a down- P.L.U.C.K.
they say "all in a system, Down" a few times in the main chorus
Old 02-14-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikael79
True, but they never say "Belle and Sebastian" in one phrase in that song, but instead make separate mentions of the two. In truth, B&S reference both names quite a bit in their early work, due to the fact that Stuart often referred to himself as Sebastian and Isobel as Belle.
Yeah, I know, but I think naming a song after the band qualifies too.
Old 10-22-06, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ben Folds
Pretty big Folds fan here and I can't think of any examples of this. There's "I've got nowhere but home to go, got Ben Folds on my radio right now" in the song "Monkey" by Counting Crows but that's the only thing I can think of (though Folds namechecked Adam Duritz back in "Fear of Pop"). Folds also namechecks his former bassist Robert Sledge in "Rubber Sled" and "Not The Same" on his solo albums.

And in the other direction: "Well here's another clue for you all/The walrus was Paul." - "Glass Onion", The Beatles
"Glass Onion" is full of references to all things Beatles (like song titles and lyrics and the like).

Also, Red Hot Chili Peppers have done it a few times, there's an early RHCP song called "Baby Appeal" with the (retarded) lyric: "and here's a little fact that you know is real, the Red Hots have baby appeal". "Purple Stain" on Californication has the lyric "Celluloid loves got a John Frusciante".
Old 10-22-06, 02:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
For the people who mentioned John Lennon, he also references himself in the song "Hold On" on Plastic Ono Band. And of course he made a million references to Yoko Ono.

On The Monks self-titled album (their only studio album), the first track is called "Monk Time."

King Crimson's first album is called "In The Court of The Crimson King" and it has a song of the same name.

Kylie Minogue's title track on the album "Light Years" has a short monologue where Kylie introduces herself as a stewardess on her own airline.

In the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song "Babe I'm On Fire" from his album Nocturama, Nick Cave mentions several of The Bad Seeds.

Pink Floyd names the main character in The Wall "Pink Floyd," even though his name is never mentioned in the actual songs.

Prince, among many other songs, has a song called "My Name Is Prince" on the Love Symbol Album.

I can't remember which song, but I'm fairly certain Pulp has a song where Jarvis Cocker, singing as a character, refers to Jarvis Cocker.

While not exactly what this thread is about, the David Bowie song "Ashes To Ashes" references the character of Major Tom from his song "Space Oddity."

Harry Nillson's first album, Pandemonium Shadow Show, starts with a carnival announcer purposefully mispronouncing the words "Nillson's Pandemonium Shadow Show" several times.

On the Frank Zappa live album Fillmore East: June 1971, many of the songs are self-referential, including a part where then bandmates Flo & Eddie sing "Happy Together" in order to get two groupies to sleep with them.

On the Yes song "Tempus Fugit," from the album Drama, the lyrics include the line "Answer to Yes."

After Dinner's first album is called After Dinner, and the first track is called "After Dinner."

The Avalanches have a 23 second track on their first album called "Avalanche Rock."

Both The Boredoms and The Ruins (Japanese noise rock bands) have both made several reference to themselves.

Ciccone Youth, an offshoot of Sonic Youth, reference themselves on their one album, The Whitey Album.

Those are the ones I can think of right now that haven't been previously mentioned.
Old 10-22-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn Supr. You been storing that in your head all this time?
Old 10-22-06, 03:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I will admit, around the point of the Frank Zappa reference, I started going through my itunes.