Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Monster Music SuperDisc titles

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 01:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I got in the mail the other day from Amazon - Vince Guaraldi Trio's
A Charlie Brown Christmas
in this new format which essentially is not DVD-Audio but DVD encoded music. (one cd: DVD, second disc: standard CD) I haven't yet listened to it but I definately wanted to pass along the word on this new kid on the block of surround sound/hi-rez music.

Monster Music

other titles in the series include

- A Charlie Brown Christmas (40th Anniversary)
- Ray Charles: Genius Loves Company
- Peter Cincotti - Live in New York Video (DVD video)
- 3 Doors Down Video: Away From the Sun Live From Houston, Texas (DVD video)

The CD's appear to be limited edition's since my copy of A Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi Trio) has a number. There's a SACD verion of this album but's not in surround sound, this edition offers three 'music modes' two of which - discrete surround sound. Once I give it a listen I'll post back with some thoughts on it.
Old 12-20-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, I'm all about music in 5.1, hope they come out with a bigger selection of titles to choose from.
Old 12-20-05, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woofman
Interesting, I'm all about music in 5.1, hope they come out with a bigger selection of titles to choose from.
It received a pretty good review on quadraphonicquad, and somebody over there mentioned that it was available at Best Buy. I called them, and they had never heard of it. It is also not listed on their website.
Old 12-21-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
I love this disc! Not so much for the 5.1, but for the fact that a number of the tracks are different takes from the standard CD release of A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Also, there are 3 surround modes in DTS and DD5.1, plus 1 High Def Stereo mode on the DVD. The CD which is also included appears to be identical to the previous Fantasy CD release. I was disappointed with that, since I'd hoped to have a version of the CD with the different takes. I'm not sure why they would've included a copy of the already existing release...

Also included on the DVD are a bunch of digital media files (WMA and AAC) for each track.
Old 12-25-05, 01:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
just last week I listened to the DTS 'Jazz' mode while I was wrapping some presents and thought it was great.