Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince: 3121 (New LP 2 B released by Universal Records!?!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from pitchforkmedia:

Prince Signs to Universal

Amy Phillips reports:
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here 2day 2 get through this thing called life...and 2 announce that Prince has signed 2 Universal. According to Billboard.com, Mr. Rogers Nelson's next album, 3121, is scheduled for release by the largest record company in the world. Let's go crazy!

Seriously, this is crazy. Remember when Prince was all about fighting the major label system and releasing his music himself? Remember when he wrote "SLAVE" on his face? Remember when we all hoped he'd sign a distribution deal with Kill Rock Stars? (Ok, maybe that was just me.) Guess the success of his last album, 2004's Musicology, which was delivered to stores thanks to some convoluted arrangement with Columbia Records, has filled the Purple One with the ta$te for corporate green once again.

But hey, a new Prince album is a new Prince album, so no complaints here. Unless it sounds like N.E.W.S.

Billboard.com also reports that the video for 3121's first single, "Te Amo Corazon", will debut Tuesday, December 13, through Prince's online NPG Music Club. It stars actress Mia Maestro (Frida, The Motorcycle Diaries) and was directed by...wait for it...Salma Hayek! I am not making this up.

In other news: Prince is still awesome.
Old 12-09-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This news is useless without an actual release date.

When? When? When? When? When? When? When?
Old 12-10-05, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
In other news: Prince is still awesome.
ummm...yeah. S.S.T. was the SHIT, yo!

Seriously, his recent output has been mediocre at best. At worst, he's been feeding fans mediocre shit and missing out on MANY opportunities to make MAD $$$ by releasing some old joints [or even his recent Musicology tour] through his music club.

F'rexample...I recently "obtained" the Musicology show that was broadcast to movie theatres last year. Now, riding that wave of "Prince Nostalgia" that happened, he could've made some SERIOUS $$$ releasing that bad boy. But he chose NOT to. Being a P fan for going on close to 25 years now, i'm used to his mostly shitty business moves or his decision to do what he wants when he wants and how he wants, but for someone who claims it's all about the music, this one makes NO SENSE. It was a GREAT show and it's not like he doesn't record every.friggin.show he does. Walk Don't Walk, right?

Anyways...I checked out the NPGMC site and saw that he finally added the One Nite Alone studio album. So, at least he's doing SOMETHING right. That's a great, mellow album.

Oh, and auto? You DO realize you can be for using Princebonics, right?
Old 12-10-05, 09:12 AM

The big question is "when is the next tour?".
Old 12-10-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by blinkin_winkin
The big question is "when is the next tour?".
Agreed.
Old 12-10-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588

Oh, and auto? You DO realize you can be for using Princebonics, right?
I was a little hung over when I read this and for a second I really thought I had done something wrong.

Although Prince probably doesn't have another great record in him, I thought it was amazing that he signed with another record company. Maybe he misses writing SLAVE on his face.
Old 12-10-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
This tread's title gave me a nice Saturday morning chuckle.

Prince's main beef with Warner Bros. was ownership of the masters, right? Maybe his deal with Universal is favorable in that regard. Just speculating.
Old 12-10-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by auto
Although Prince probably doesn't have another great record in him, I thought it was amazing that he signed with another record company. Maybe he misses writing SLAVE on his face.
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Prince's main beef with Warner Bros. was ownership of the masters, right? Maybe his deal with Universal is favorable in that regard. Just speculating.
I'm sure this is just an agreement to distribute the record ala his past Arista/Columbia deals. I really don't see him ever signing with another record label.
Old 12-10-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
...I recently "obtained" the Musicology show that was broadcast to movie theatres last year.
I "obtained" it as well, but haven't gotten to view it yet. That's the first show from the Staples Center, right? Is it decent quality?

Anyways...I checked out the NPGMC site and saw that he finally added the One Nite Alone studio album. So, at least he's doing SOMETHING right. That's a great, mellow album.
Did you just check that out recently?!? I posted that he had added that album to the website MONTHS ago, dude!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=416005

Old 12-10-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I "obtained" it as well, but haven't gotten to view it yet. That's the first show from the Staples Center, right? Is it decent quality?
Most definitely. Does it beat an OFFICIAL release? Heck, no. But the sound quality is excellent and the picture is adequate. If I had to rate the PQ out of five stars, it'd be a 3-3½.

Did you just check that out recently?!? I posted that he had added that album to the website MONTHS ago, dude!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=416005

Shows ya how frequently I visit the cult's stomping grounds...err...NPGMC.
Old 12-10-05, 04:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

Um.... why are we still seeing posts from people talking about "obtaining" copyright material? [Don't answer that].
Old 12-10-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a note:

Old 12-10-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That's a FAKE. Everyone knows he's too lazy to use the letter "I"...

Anyways, back on track...the video is supposed to be on VH-1 also.
Old 12-14-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rock 'n' roll iconoclast Prince, who spent years clashing with the music establishment, has signed a recording deal with the world's largest record company, proudly noting on Tuesday that he wrote up his own agreement without legal advice.

Universal Music Group will release his next album, "3121," sometime next year through its Universal Records imprint, the parties said. A videoclip for the first single, the Latin-soaked ballad "Te Amo Corazon" (I love you, sweetheart), was released Tuesday, and shown to journalists at a news conference in a Beverly Hills hotel room.

Prince, 47, showed up briefly, accompanied by Argentine actress Mia Maestro, who stars in the clip.

His last album, 2004's "Musicology," was distributed by Sony BMG Music's Columbia Records label, and given away free to fans who attended his comeback tour that year.

Most of his albums, beginning with his 1978 debut "For You," were released by Warner Bros. Records, and the partnership produced such groundbreaking works as 1984's "Purple Rain" and 1987's "Sign O' The Times."

But Prince fell out with the label by the early 1990s, complaining that it could not accommodate his prolific output. He performed with the word "SLAVE" scrawled across his cheek, and his career waned as he went to such bizarre lengths as changing his name to an unpronounceable symbol. After splitting with Warner Bros. in 1996, he went the independent route, and distributed some albums through his Web site, selling a fraction of what he did during his heyday.

His deal with Universal covers one album only, he said at the news conference. He declined to discuss the financial terms other than to say, "They're great."

He said it was "basically a handshake deal" since he does not believe in contracts.

"I did my own agreement without the help of a lawyer and sat down and got exactly what I wanted," he said, subsequently clarifying that some agreements were signed "to ensure that business gets accomplished."

A statement announcing the Universal deal said Prince would return to the road next year. He declined to offer any specifics about the tour or the album, but said the new single was not indicative of the album's overall sound.

YAHOO
Old 12-14-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rock 'n' roll iconoclast Prince, who spent years clashing with the music establishment, has signed a recording deal with the world's largest record company, proudly noting on Tuesday that he wrote up his own agreement without legal advice.
Just fuckin' brilliant, Johnny Businessacumen.
Old 12-15-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, he won't be able to distribute the new CD's with concert tickets as "sales" reported to Billboard magazine. But I'd vote for a big Prince comeback like Mariah Carey has. His antics are fun too. Slave printed on his face, the symbol, his bare asscheeks, f'ing madonna. Uh, the last thing is a joke.
Old 12-15-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Well, he won't be able to distribute the new CD's with concert tickets as "sales" reported to Billboard magazine. But I'd vote for a big Prince comeback like Mariah Carey has. His antics are fun too. Slave printed on his face, the symbol, his bare asscheeks, f'ing madonna. Uh, the last thing is a joke.
I'm just worried he gets bogged down by some easily avoidable obstacle and really goes off the deep end. He'll probably secede or something. Then my hope of access to his vaults goes bye-bye and Larry Graham disappears under mysterious circumstances.

Just saying.
Old 12-15-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's the deal with not releasing all those tunes in the vault? Hopefully he's not pulling a Mike Judge and is unhappy with his earlier work.
Old 12-15-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big whoppa
I hope he doesn't have a comeback like Mariah Carey...especially if "comeback" means you turn yourself into a hop-hop-ho like she did and forego any chance to display your real talent.
Old 12-19-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RichardW
What's the deal with not releasing all those tunes in the vault? Hopefully he's not pulling a Mike Judge and is unhappy with his earlier work.
On the one hand, i'd LOVE to hear some of those songs that every collector hasn't heard. I'd also love to hear cleaner versions of the ones we HAVE.

However, I think someone besides Prince needs to put 'em out. I'm sure we're all familiar with his "retooling" of Old Friends 4 Sale from , right?
Old 12-19-05, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On the one hand, i'd LOVE to hear some of those songs that every collector hasn't heard. I'd also love to hear cleaner versions of the ones we HAVE.

However, I think someone besides Prince needs to put 'em out. I'm sure we're all familiar with his "retooling" of Old Friends 4 Sale from , right?
I'm interested to learn of this "retooling". Do tell.

BTW...did you get my last email?
Old 12-19-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm interested to learn of this "retooling". Do tell.

BTW...did you get my last email?
Original Version

The sun set in the west this mornin'
4 I know, I know L.A. is callin'
Bad news, Steve said, and people are talkin'
They say your kingdom is fallin', yeah
They say U lost your fire
When another musician U hired
Little do they know, U wouldn't have passed go
Unless they could take U higher, yeah

The sun set in my heart this afternoon
4 2 friends of mine got stuck in the snow
In Uptown when winter's alarmin', oh
Cocaine becomes charmin'
But U talk about things U don't know 'bout
I know, no matter how pleasant your past was
Green and white return 2 blue
U're happy as long as your last buzz
And then U think U want something new, yeah

The sun, the sun set in my mind this evening
4 someone who said they would die 4 me
Sold some, they sold some more pictures and all my little memories
Chump change is 2 unravel the mystery, ah ha
But life is no fun, life ain't no fun without fantasy
Some things are better left unsaid
And some people are better left untrusted
Maybe, maybe, maybe it'll all make sense when I'm dead
When I'm dead

Old friends 4 sale
Get'em while the gettin' is hot
Watch out, they'll kiss U until they get what U got
And they'll show U the friends that they're not
Old friends 4 sale
Released Version

The sun set in my heart this evenin'
Cuz an old friend of mine got lost in the jive
Little did she know, when U're stuck in the snow
Nobody gets out alive

Tears fall gently in my garden
As I wait in vain 4 my sweet baby 2 call
I guess what my own brother told me was true
He had been with my sweet baby and she never really loved me at all

Night fell so dark this evenin'
The moon wasn't shinin' nowhere
Sometimes that old light in the alley would light up this old heart of mine
But now I'm wonderin' if there's someone up there who really cares

The night fell darkest in Persia
What used 2 flow blue is now flowin' black
Many a doctor can try, but only heaven knows why
When it comes 2 love, why do some men, why do some men turn their backs?
Can't somebody please tell me?

Maybe the morning air will make me feel better
Oh, I hope better than I feel right now
Last night a stranger took my picture and then he, uh..
He asked if I'd buy it, huh
I said, "I guess I don't know how"

Old, old friends 4 sale
Get'em while the gettin' is hot
But U better watch out, they'll kiss U until they get what U got
And they'll show U the friends that they're not
Old friends 4 sale
(Yeah, hey, yeah, ooh)
So the song went from being about the Black Album, his "falling out" with Morris and Chick selling stuff to the Enquirer, to being about...well, if anyone can decipher it, you'll get a star.

And, yes, I did get your email...unfortunately, it's on the opposite coast, and i'm here with this borrowed laptop.
Old 12-19-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I see.
Old 01-25-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
3121 by Prince and released by Universal, will arrive in stores on March 21.

Watch for the album single, "Te Amo Corazon," to be released on February 14 as a CD/DVD single package

MUSICTAP.net
Old 01-26-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The plain CD single is already out. I bought it a few weeks back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.