Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Guns N' Roses:"Welcome to the Jungle -- The Very Best of Guns N' Roses." -12/20/05

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Guns N' Roses:"Welcome to the Jungle -- The Very Best of Guns N' Roses." -12/20/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Although the track list has yet to be announced, Geffen has set a Dec. 20 release date for the double-disc set "Welcome to the Jungle -- The Very Best of Guns N' Roses." It will be the second such GNR package since the spring of 2004 and follows "Greatest Hits," which has sold 2.5 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Guns N' Roses, which now features lone original member Axl Rose, has been at work for years on a new studio album, "Chinese Democracy." It is unknown when the album will see the light of day.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 11-17-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why release another one? the only way i'd buy it, is if it had "its ain't easy" with remastered sound.
Old 11-17-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
What the..? A double disc "Very Best of.."?? A year and a half after a previous greatest hits album too? I'm wondering what the hell else this new release could possibly offer (I already have all of GN'R's official releases plus some bootleg stuff). Here's a wacky idea: let's get "Chinese Democracy" finished instead.
Old 11-17-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe this one is approved by the Axl, Slash and co. The first one wasn't, they sued Geffen to stop it... Anyway I didn't get the first one, it was bullshit that ESTRANGED wasn't on it, maybe this one will along with IT'S SO EASY , COMA and.... I'll get this one.
Old 11-18-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cultshock
What the..? A double disc "Very Best of.."?? A year and a half after a previous greatest hits album too? I'm wondering what the hell else this new release could possibly offer (I already have all of GN'R's official releases plus some bootleg stuff). Here's a wacky idea: let's get "Chinese Democracy" finished instead.
I also have all their albums. [As with other bands/artist], the main reason to get a GH cd is for Remastered Sound, although on some CD's I'll prefer the whole album[s] to be remastered.
Old 11-18-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For any people looking to get into them, just buy their 4 CD's, buy 'em new, used, on ebay, whatever, there are so many amazing songs from them.
Old 11-18-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
why release another one? the only way i'd buy it, is if it had "its ain't easy" with remastered sound.
Ah yes. . . "Its Ain't Easy." Definitely one of my favorite GN'R tracks.
Old 11-18-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
For any people looking to get into them, just buy their 4 CD's, buy 'em new, used, on ebay, whatever, there are so many amazing songs from them.
actually, 5

appetite
lies
illusion 1
illusion 2
spaghetti
Old 11-18-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Spaghetti doesn't count as it is universally considered to be shit.
Old 11-18-05, 09:12 AM
Cool New Member

Axl, wake up!!!!

I say 3.5 albums. Lies only has four new studio tracks and the four live songs aren't that great(bad recordings).

Think about what Axl has done. With only three and a half albums, he is the freaking rockstar that he is. G n R has more of a legacy than a lot of bands that have a dozen albums out.

I just wish Axl would just get off his ass and make some NEW music already. I hate greatest hits and without buying the actual albums you will be missing out on some amazing songs.

And I agree with Estranged, but Dead Horse shouldn't be forgotten either...
Old 11-18-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe they'll break down and include "Mr. Brownstone" on this one.
Old 11-18-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm down for it. both UYI albums have tons of awful filler. but the good songs are mindblowing. provided the necessary ones are all here, this will compliment Appetite For Destruction nicely.
Old 11-19-05, 12:55 AM

will they ever release a show that i saw on mtv a long time ago.. they were live at the ritz, thats what got me into gnr.. cd or dvd i would buy it.. but i don't think i'll buy this greatest hits
Old 11-19-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Jeezus, what a joke!

I guess the record company has to make that money they've been pumping into the vaporware "Chinese Democracy" album somehow.

It kills me that they're putting out a SECOND greatest hits collection for a band that only released out three full albums.* And a double-disc one at that! And it's called "The Very Best of Guns 'n Roses."

Old 11-19-05, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And a double-disc one at that! And it's called "The Very Best of Guns 'n Roses."
Yeah I thought about that too...I think they could have gone with Anthology or Collection.
Old 11-19-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Spaghetti doesn't count as it is universally considered to be shit.
Well not only that but it's an album of all covers.
Old 11-19-05, 08:42 AM

2 of the 14 tracks from the first "Greatest Hits" were from Spaghetti. I'm sure this one will have at least that many - probably one more.
Old 11-20-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
GnR probably do have one of the best album/good song ratios compared to any other rock/metal band out there. I also suggest that someone just spend the extra $8, and get Appetite/Illusion 1&2.
Old 11-20-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well not only that but it's an album of all covers.
But you can get it for 75 cents on half.com. Hair of the Dog is a decent cover, but it's kind of hard to screw that song up.

Why not remaster the albums? People would buy a hell of a lot more copies of a remastered Appetite than another greatest hits package.
Old 11-20-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
But you can get it for 75 cents on half.com. Hair of the Dog is a decent cover, but it's kind of hard to screw that song up.

Why not remaster the albums? People would buy a hell of a lot more copies of a remastered Appetite than another greatest hits package.
So it's $.75? how does that relate to anything?
Old 11-20-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Yeah, that's definitely the way to go - but this is UNI (parent company to Geffen) we're talking about. They are notorious for issuing multiple "hits" style compilations for artists who already have them - with the 2 disc format being their latest bread and butter claim to fame.

But who am I kidding, I'll probably buy it anyway .
Old 11-20-05, 10:40 AM

Odds on us getting both the original and alternate versions of "Don't Cry" on this one?

Odds they both appear on the same disc?
Old 11-20-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
So it's $.75? how does that relate to anything?
It makes being a completist easier.
Old 11-20-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll probably pick this one up since I didn't get the hits cd from last year. I would also gladly buy remasters of their catalog.