Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else think The Hives don't get enough credit?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm not starting this thread from a crazy fan-boy view as I've been listening to The Hives for a while now but never fully got into them.

After much listening, I can't get enough. I definitely think it's a multiple of things but I love their style, funny/crazy lyrics, and the overall tight feel of their tunes.

I started thinking about how little I hear on this band and I'm under the impression that either people just haven't warmed up to them yet or if it's because this type/style of music isn't widely accepted yet.

So I'll say it, I don't think they've been given enough credit - are they groundbreaking? No, but they managed to take multiple styles and turn them into their own (ala Stripes).
Old 11-16-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought so when i got their previous album. really good, fun stuff. i was quite bored with the recent release. so they've kinda blown off my map.
Old 11-16-05, 06:45 PM

I saw them in concert last December, big ups to them ever since
Old 11-17-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tyrannosaurus Hives was one seriously underrated album, IMO. Lots of great songs "No Pun Intended" (probably the best straight punk track I heard last year) and "Two Timing Touch..." being my favorites. Also, their drummer is simply insane, that guy is one of the most precise drummers I can think of.

I think the Hives got a little overhyped with their overwrought image and it blew up in their faces. It's a shame because the music was terrific.
Old 11-17-05, 08:36 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still on the fence about their lyrics and the quality of the lead singer's voice, but the music is some of the best the rock scene has heard in some time.
Old 11-17-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hives to record new album
By Jonathan Cohen
33 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Swedish rockers the Hives have begun working on material for their next studio album, which they hope to have ready for a fall 2006 release.

"It's so new," frontman Pelle Almqvist told Billboard.com of the latest Hives songs. "We haven't played any of the songs live yet, but there's some really good ideas floating around."

The group just finished a tour of Japan and Australia, likely the last shows it will play in support of its 2004 album "Tyrannosaurus Hives." The Interscope Records set debuted at No. 33 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 171,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"We're not too fond of time off, actually," Almqvist said. "We're in this band because we like being in it, and time away is good so you don't burn out, but I'll give it two weeks before we want to start working again."

Although the details haven't been finalized, the artist says the Hives are mulling a new approach for the next album, "because the last three albums have been done the same way, with the same guy (Pelle Gunnerfeldt) just recording us. We want to get the songs in order first but then we'll do it some way different. We don't really know how yet, but we have some ideas about different producers or recording it in a different place."

Fans will be tided over with the November 22 release of the DVD "Tussles in Brussels," which Almqvist said has "all the building blocks of a good, proper Hives show," as well as a cover of Dion and the Belmonts' "Born To Cry." The DVD is rounded out by new videos for "Abra Cadaver" and "A Little More for Little You," both shot in Memphis in seven hours.

"If you have a good idea, you can do it pretty quickly. It doesn't have to cost $1 million, either. Same thing with making records, actually," Almqvist said.

Also included is a faux Hives documentary narrated by Little Steven Van Zandt. "Apparently Bruce Springsteen saw us on TV and kind of introduced Steven to us, which is weird enough as it is," Almqvist said with a chuckle. "When they got to Sweden on an E Street Band tour, they looked us up and had us come down to the show. We've been friends since."

The tongue-in-cheek film was a reaction to typical "behind-the-scenes" footage of bands, according to Almvqist. "We bought like 10 or 12 DVDs before we made this to see what other bands had done, and most band documentaries keep to the formula," he said. "Oh, we're at a radio station doing an interview! Let's film that! We're meeting a crazy fan. Let's film that! We're shooting out the window of the van while traveling. Let's film that! We just said that anything as far removed from that as possible would be good, so we made a movie."

Reuters/Billboard
Old 11-17-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to see others appreciate/like them.

Thanks for the news Auto - can always count on you for the details!!

A little off topic.....The "tussels in Brussels" DVD has already been released in other countries (We will get ours on 11/22) - has anyone got a copy? If so, how is it?
Old 11-18-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First off, all I have to say is that I think the Hives are the best out of the crop of major label garage artists. Hell, they could be probably the only ones really sticking to the sound and they are really good (I paid well over 40 dollars for an imported Vini Vidi Vicious back in the day). But seriously, calling them underrated is a bit much. When their last record sells 170,000 copies, and a Oblivians record (which Screaming whatever his name paid well over 300 dollars on ebay for an old concert shirt) doesn't even reach 8,000 copies and is considered to be one of the great garagepunk records of the 90's is something that could be called underapperciated. So many more bands that people should know like the Dirtbombs, the Mummies, M.O.T.O., the Paybacks, etc. and etc. are well known in the garagepunk community but it seems like some people rather just stay focus on what major labels push.
Old 11-19-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Without a doubt they are a fantastic band and I'm greatly pleased they have gotten some notice. It actually surprises me how "popular" they have become considering there are tons of bands out their mining that garage beat (although I like how the Hives have added a touch of Devo to their latest disc). I think a band like the White Stripes being as big as they are is an anomaly.
Old 09-24-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So any news on the new album Auto mentioned above? Is it still coming out this fall? I can't find any new info at all.
Old 09-25-06, 03:46 AM

I dont know much at all about the Hives but I'll give you that Andre 3000 said in his Rolling Stone interview that he was inspired to write 'Hey Ya' after he saw their concert and was amazed at the fun and energy of it or something. So he likes em too! What's a good 'Hives 101' album for the uninitiated?