DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   "Farewell/Final" tours that weren't... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/444611-farewell-final-tours-werent.html)

lopper 11-09-05 12:52 PM

"Farewell/Final" tours that weren't...

I know KISS went on tour three or four years ago with Ted Nugent and it was heavily advertised as their final tour. However, haven't they toured at least once or twice since then?

Didn't Cher pull this "farewell tour" thing as well, only to tour again?

Can anyone else think of any other bands or artists that have done this as well?

Mordred 11-09-05 12:56 PM

Ozzy did it with his "No More Tours" tour.

Canis Firebrand 11-09-05 01:00 PM

I think Cher did it three times.

She had her Farewell Tour.. Then her Final Farewell tour. Then the Never Going to Say Goodbye Tour.

In other words, she isn't saying Farewell. ;)

Dubya 11-09-05 02:04 PM

Kiss has kept going however they have been using a errand boy, I mean "assistant" in the place of Ace Frehley so they might as well be classified as a glorified cover band.

Jason 11-09-05 03:05 PM

The Eagles come to mind...

Hollowgen 11-09-05 03:35 PM

the who
bowie (sorta)

Aphex Twin 11-09-05 04:05 PM

Smashing Pumpkins

dvduser6 11-09-05 06:29 PM

The Damned.

krazykat72 11-10-05 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Smashing Pumpkins

until they actually play again....The Pumpkins don't fit here.

The Who is one that springs to mind though.

-Paul Jacobi-

Giantrobo 11-10-05 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
the who
bowie (sorta)

I thought Bowie's tour(sound and vision back in the 90's?) was just to retire his older songs?

Numanoid 11-10-05 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I thought Bowie's tour(sound and vision back in the 90's?) was just to retire his older songs?

It was...and he didn't.

Numanoid 11-10-05 08:48 AM

No one else here will know this, but Gary Numan made a big deal of his concert farewell back in 1981, at the absolute height of his popularity. Two sold out nights at Wembley, farewell concert released on video, etc. His fame had come so hard and fast that he was just burned out and scared (at the ripe old age of 23).

Fortunately, when he got a little more mature, he went back on the road...and he's still going strong. :up:

reverie 11-10-05 10:00 AM

The Eagles was also the first to come to my mind.

In a way, you have to respect the bands that stick to their pledge, much as you may want more.

B5Erik 11-10-05 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dubya
Kiss has kept going however they have been using a errand boy, I mean "assistant" in the place of Ace Frehley so they might as well be classified as a glorified cover band.

Tommy Thayer actually has a pretty nice track record with the band Black 'N Blue, and later recorded an album with the band Harlow. He has co-written several songs with KISS since 1989 as well. He also tought Ace how to play his old solos when KISS did the reunion tour in '96.

It's been said that he plays Ace better than Ace does.

But, more on topic, KISS never pulled the "Farewell" card until 2000 (even though some in the media thought otherwise) - and they changed their minds once they started working with Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer. Essentially the "Farewell Tour" became the "Farewell to the original lineup" tour.

A lot of people were very skeptical about Ozzy's "No more tours" tour. I never believed it for a minute. I saw the tour anyway, since I loved the album (No More Tears) and got to see the show at a mid sized theater.

Going back in time, Thin Lizzy labeled their Thunder and Lightning tour in 1983-84 as their "Farewell Tour" when ticket sales were slow for the first couple of shows. They came to regret announcing it as their farewell tour when they found the band re-energized with future Whitesnake and Blue Murder guitar player John Sykes. Phil Lynott actually planned on getting Lizzy back together in 1986, but he died before he could get it organized.

Clint B 11-11-05 06:15 PM

I remember Elton John doing the same thing back in the 80s..."the last tour I'm ever gonna do." Don't think so. :) I think Clapton also did it a few years back. Then, of course, there's Phil Collins' (probably) aptly named "First Final Farewell Tour." :)

Giantrobo 11-12-05 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Tommy Thayer actually has a pretty nice track record with the band Black 'N Blue, and later recorded an album with the band Harlow. He has co-written several songs with KISS since 1989 as well. He also tought Ace how to play his old solos when KISS did the reunion tour in '96.

True dat. Only the most hardcore close minded fans make a big deal over Thayer being in Ace makeup. Thayer is a great guitarist. On, the topic of "stand in's in Makeup", I'm still not convinced Gene has played at EVERY KISS show. ;)

It's been said that he plays Ace better than Ace does.

Again tru dat. Anyone who's ever been at a show where Ace fucks up, and I have -ohbfrank- because sadly it happens more often then not because Ace has "lost it", Thayer is a welcome addition to KISS shows....

Giantrobo 11-12-05 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
It was...and he didn't.

He did for a while then people hated what he was doing so he brought them back.

mndtrp 11-13-05 01:12 PM

Hasn't Black Sabbath touted most of their more recent tours as their last one?

iggystar 11-14-05 09:17 AM

Cher. I just remember every six months she would come to Detroit for her "final" appearance.