Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MusicTalk Draft Game - Round 2 Voting (Come one, come all!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MusicTalk Draft Game - Round 2 Voting (Come one, come all!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 04:30 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Does it not have an edited by x at 00:00 pm or whatever?

In general the posts have an edited by right.

I don't get the issue. Am I not allowed change my mind over the course of the day on the picks?

Last edited by BDB; 11-08-05 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 04:35 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maxfisher
As others have pointed out, this currently won't count as a vote, as the rules state you have to vote on every matchup. There's no rule that all your votes have to be in the same post though, so you could conceivably do a second post with 1, 2, 7 and 8. Not sure if auto would count that, but thought I'd throw it out.
It should count, as the rules don't say all votes in one post. As long as neither post would have an edited by stamp on it, the votes should count.
That is if pro-b makes a second post with the remainder of the votes.
Old 11-08-05, 04:36 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Who's? If you mean pro-b's post, it doesn't have an edited timestamp on it.
Old 11-08-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
he is certainly a divisive force here.
I think there is no redemption.
Old 11-08-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
- You can cancel (or give me a slight edge) when combining his picks of Rubber Soul (Beatles) and Hendrix (box/pioneer black musician who died too early) with my Beatles box (Beatles/box) and Marley (pioneer black musician who died too early).
- Cancel out (or give him a very slight advantage) the duplicative jazz (Miles and Coltrane) and his Nas pick with my hip hop picks (the monumental 2pac album and the very jazzy Tribe album).
Except your "black musician" pick is a terrible album compared to all the great Bob albums out there. What points you gained from Bob Marley you lost when it was legend. I am not familiar with the Hendrix or Beatles boxes, but Rubber Soul is an amazing album and Legend is greatest hits garbage (again, compared to Bob's real albums). And the fact that you call them "black musicians" loses even more.

As for the "duplicative" jazz, Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme are so different, and both are amazing, Kind of Blue is probably the best piece of music on anyone's list here, IMHO. And how come these guys are not "pioneer black musicians"?
Old 11-08-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts
ryuryu2949 - Your list is my favorite despite DMB.
maxfisher
Flynn
BadlyDrawnBoy
Vryce
Jimdrix
Cleaver
Damfino
Old 11-08-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=auto]VOTING - ROUND 2
Round 3 voting will begin on Wednesday, November 9th at ~12:00 [PST]
This round will last 24 hours.

This Round’s Match-ups

1. Aphex Twin vs. ryuryu2949

ryuryu2949

2. ChrisKnudsen vs. maxfisher

maxfisher

3. cdollaz vs. Flynn

cdollaz

4. Lokimok vs. BadlyDrawnBoy

BadlyDrawnBoy

5. Vryce vs. illennium

Vryce

6. Giles vs. jimdrix

jimdrix

7. DJLinus vs. cleaver

cleaver

8. Mordred vs. Damfino

Damfino
Old 11-08-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
I do like your collection.. But with DJLinus having James - Laid and The Cure - Disintigration.. it made it a little easier..

Zep and The Beatles helped, but Wu Tang and De. Dre knocked you down. In my eyes.

Just the luck of the draw. I do feel you have a strong draft collection though.
Where would you rank Disintegration and Laid among my albums? Would you say they are better than Are You Experienced or Moondance?
Old 11-08-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
1. ryuryu2949 (Despite the presence of 2Pac - I'm just not a fan; but Tribe, man. Tribe.)
2. maxfisher (If only for the fact that it made me dust off my UNKLE CD)
3. cdollaz (Easy choice here, since London Calling is my favorite album)
4. BadlyDrawnBoy (Sophie's Choice time: VU & Nico vs. Purple Rain. U2 and the last great Chili Peppers album swayed me.)
5. illennium (He bangs the drums.*)
6. jimdrix (A toughie. Mad respect for Yaz and the Muppets, but Revolver and PE clinched it.)
7. DJLinus (True, Wu Tang's for the children, but James is for avid internet message board music geeks )
8. Mordred (What would Chuck D think about having PE and Elvis on the same list? Doesn't matter to me.)

*Apologies if you're a female.
Old 11-08-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
1. Aphex Twin (toughest call for me this round, edge to AphexTwin for greater diversity)
2. ChrisKnudsen (Minutemen and Velvet Underground made the difference despite ELO)
3. cdollaz (London Calling makes this my most feared future opponent)
4. BadlyDrawnBoy (Joy Division makes the difference)
5. illennium (Pixies, Radiohead and Television)
6. jimdrix (strong list, but where's Jimi Hendrix?)
7. cleaver (heavy on the 60s, but nothing wrong with that.)
8. Damfino
Old 11-08-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

auto, my choices are the bolded in the "vs." line.

This Round’s Match-ups

1. Aphex Twin vs. ryuryu2949

rationale: just to many personal faves on ryuryuryuryu's list.

2. ChrisKnudsen vs. maxfisher

rationale: very difficult decision here... i'm already kinda scared at how difficult the next round will be. anyway, vote goes to ChrisKnudsen due to the greater variety of his list in comparison to maxfisher's indie-heavy list.

3. cdollaz vs. Flynn

rationale: as i said in the first round, i'd hesitate to put all three of Radiohead, Coldplay and Travis on the same list and that cost Flynn the race. another factor was in a head-to-head match-up of the U2 albums and the Radiohead albums, cdollaz won both times, IMO. i do love Before These Crowded Streets, but not nearly enough to garner my vote.

4. Lokimok vs. BadlyDrawnBoy

rationale: a very difficult decision, but BDB snagged the Peppers' BSSM which was one of my first real introductions to rock'n'roll. throw in Ten, Purple Rain and Joshua Tree and i couldn't deny it. i love Loki's variety with a special nod to the funk and blues picks.

5. Vryce vs. illennium

rationale: it couldn't swing me last time, but this time it did: Radiohead's "Kid A" gives the vote to illennium. (not to mention "Doolittle" and "Autobahn")

6. Giles vs. jimdrix

rationale: holy shit, this one was difficult. great variety in both lists but i went with jimdrix because i'm more familiar with his choices than i am Giles' picks.

7. DJLinus vs. cleaver

rationale: "Laid" got DJLinus my vote last time. just too much to deny on cleaver's list - in a head-to-head box set match up, i would give my vote to Zep just because i know more of their songs by heart.

8. Mordred vs. Damfino

rationale: Just like the first round, there are simply too many classics on Mordred's list for me not to vote for it. "Blood on the Tracks", in particular, will carry his list a LONG way in my votes. but throw in "Thriller", "Back in Black", "The Sun Sessions"... geezus. the list is nearly flawless IMO. hell, take a look at my sig, which i haven't changed in a LONG time because i love it so much!
Old 11-08-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hiro11 and pro-b : You need to delete your previous post and post a new one. ANY post with edits on it does NOT count. Either make up your mind the first time or wait until later to post it.

Old 11-08-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
Hiro11 and pro-b : You need to delete your previous post and post a new one. ANY post with edits on it does NOT count. Either make up your mind the first time or wait until later to post it.

Jesus, take it easy. I know things get magnified over the internet, but this comes off as more than a little Nazi-ish. I edited to fix a spelling error, not a changed vote:

1. Winner: Aphex Twin (sorry, I hate DMB with a burning passion. It took balls to put them on a list when bigots like myself are a dime-a-dozen here.)

2. Winner: ChrisKnudsen (this one was reeeeally close. I gave the edge to Chris because I really like Double Nickels. That album was very important to me growing up.)

3. Winner: cdollaz (as I said, I don't like DMB. Also, that Coldplay album never made much of an impression on me. cdollaz also has the immortal Angel Dust which I bought and loved when it came out.)

4. Winner: Lokimok (this one was also really hard. Loki's Roxy Music selection is my personal favorite of one of my favorite band's albums. BDB's "Astral Weeks" and RHCP selections are also great. Parliament and no Pearl Jam takes the day for Lokimok.)

5. Winner: illennium (no easier for me. Don't like Alannis but "Dummy", "Elephant" and "Blue" are favorites. However, Marquee Moon and G.P. cannot be denied.)

6. Winner: Giles (a really weird matchup. i went with Giles because the selections are a little bit more off the wall and personal. The other collection is chock-a-block with Greatest Album Ever contenders, though.)

7. Winner: DJLinus (Disintegration, Different Class and Girlfriend were on repeat in my stereo in college a decade ago.)

8. Winner: Mordred (Damfino's collection is really sweet. Los Angeles? Armed Forces? Two huge favorites. However, Goo is a weak album, IMO. I would have taken Sister or Evol. Also, that Fugees album is about half a classic, the other half isn't too good. Mordred's PE and Opeth selections are great and you can't really deny those other classics.)
Old 11-08-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11

1. Winner: Aphex Twin (sorry, I hate DMB with a burning passion. It took balls to put them on a list when bigots like myself are a dime-a-dozen here.)

)

again, i can't spell this out enough: "Live at Luther College" is NOT a DMB album. i find it disheartening that people are voting against me on the strentgh of an album they have never heard. i would have thought better from the kind of people who post on this form.
Old 11-08-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ryuryu2949, perhaps you don't get it, it's not just DMB that's the problem, it is DAVE FUCKING MATTHEWS. I can't bear to hear his voice.
Old 11-08-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus

what is the point of this rule? Delete a whole post and repost is ok, but edited ones aren't?
Old 11-08-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Aphex Twin
2. maxfisher
3. cdollaz
4. BadlyDrawnBoy
5. Vryce
6. Giles
7. cleaver
8. Mordred
Old 11-08-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by illennium
Do NOT edit your posts, people. Hiro11 edited his post on the first page, so now I and a bunch of others lose a vote.
Originally Posted by maxfisher
As others have pointed out, this currently won't count as a vote, as the rules state you have to vote on every matchup. There's no rule that all your votes have to be in the same post though, so you could conceivably do a second post with 1, 2, 7 and 8. Not sure if auto would count that, but thought I'd throw it out.

In general the posts have an edited by right.

I don't get the issue. Am I not allowed change my mind over the course of the day on the picks?
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Jesus, take it easy. I know things get magnified over the internet, but this comes off as more than a little Nazi-ish. I edited to fix a spelling error, not a changed vote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
what is the point of this rule? Delete a whole post and repost is ok, but edited ones aren't?

The whole point of the rule was to make it easier for me to count the votes. If someone goes back and edits their votes, I need to start from scratch. If the votes are set in stone, I can tally up the score as the round progresses.

I apologize if it pissed off anybody whose votes did not get counted last round. The rule was written in the first post and I didn't think it was confusing.

If pro-b wants to vote on the rest of the line-ups I will be more than happy to count his votes. That being said, this remark...

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
the rest....I don't care for..

Ciao,
Pro-B

...leads me to believe he is not interested in participating and more interested in sticking his nose up at some people's choices in music. Something that nobody who is playing this game as done (except in jest - DMB SUX!!!11!!).

Originally Posted by Vryce
The Bus edited as well. So even more people lost votes.

Oh.. I see that the post he edited was predictions.. confused me...

Tell me about it. I'm trying to keep this game chugging along so please be patient.

I know some people took offense to the way in which I handled the ChrisKnudsen/Hollowgen tie-breaker. Sorry. I'm doing the best I can and I didn't plan for every situation.

Anyhow, lets get back to the game. There's lots of time left and some close races left to be decided.

Keep voting!

nazi game-mod auto

Last edited by auto; 11-08-05 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
1. Aphex Twin
2. ChrisKnudsen
3. cdollaz
4. Lokimok
5. Vryce
6. jimdrix
7. DJLinus
8. Mordred
Old 11-08-05, 07:35 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by cleaver
Where would you rank Disintegration and Laid among my albums? Would you say they are better than Are You Experienced or Moondance?
To me, yes. I would rank them better then those two. To a music critic, probably not, but who knows.

I grew up listening to music like Disintegration and Laid. Are You Experienced and
Moondance came out before I was born(born in 1974). I identify more with The Cure and James. Not saying that Hendrix and Van Morrison aren't good, they certainly are. But I have to go with what I identify woth more.
That is how everyone is voting, at least thats how it looks to me.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 11-08-05 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ryuryu2949: Like LurkerDan said, the problem with DMB is not necessarily just the B. It's the D and the M as well. Personally, I don't really consider Dave Matthews a serious artist. Besides, anyone who puts lighters in the hands of frat boys can't be good for society.

As for voting on an incomplete record (no pun intended), that's just a fact of life that all contestants have to accept. When we drafted albums, we knew we were taking the risk that voters wouldn't know some of our picks and that that could hurt us. On the other hand, sometimes picking a relatively obscure album can get the vote of the more vocal music geek minority.
Old 11-08-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Kripes! I check the music forum multiple times everyday how in the hell did I miss this!?!
Old 11-08-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Round 2

1. Aphex Twin
2. maxfisher
3. Flynn
4. BadlyDrawnBoy
5. Vryce
6. jimdrix
7. DJLinus
8. Damfino
Old 11-08-05, 08:03 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
good question, its been going for what 2.5 weeks.
Old 11-08-05, 08:23 PM

1. ryuryu2949
2. ChrisKnudsen
3. cdollaz
4. BadlyDrawnBoy
5. Vryce
6. Jimdrix
7. cleaver
8. Mordred

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.