DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Blockhead - Downtown Science (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/444319-blockhead-downtown-science.html)

JHosk 11-07-05 11:00 AM

Blockhead - Downtown Science

Any other blockhead fans on here ??

Last years release "Music by Cavelight" was one of the biggest hidden gems of the year. I knew he produced a few cuts for Aespo Rock, but "Music by Cavelight" seemed like it came from nowhere, and totally impressed me. I think the album put him on the map amongst the elite hip-hop instrumentalists (a la DJ Shadow, RJD2, etc.). His beats have a certain "atmosphere", that totally draws you in.

the Hipsopsite.com review was spot on:

"Whether listening to Blockhead's Music....in a smoke filled room, during a lonely drive in the evening rain, while gettin' it on with your lady, or while slowly murdering someone, it's a superb soundtrack that plays solidly throughout."

Needless to say I was pretty excited when I heard he was releasing another album this month; "Downtown Science" on the ninja tune label. Being only a year and change since "Music....", I was worried he never had enough time in the lab to cook-up another classic.

After a few listens, "Downtown Science" doesn't capture the magic of "Music By Cavelight", however its still a solid 4 out of 5 stars. The begining and end of the album is as tight as ever. Some of the cuts in the middle are marginal though, as we goes agaisnt his usually darker tone, and uses some up-beat type of samples (almost swing). Maybe these cuts will grow on me, but for right now they are fast forward material.

Anyways....this guys still continues to impress. Both of his albums are solid and consistent. Any other fans out there ???

dadaluholla 11-07-05 12:21 PM

I wonder if there is a reason he named this album after an obscure early 90s rap group.

JHosk 11-07-05 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I wonder if there is a reason he named this album after an obscure early 90s rap group.

Wondered that myself. I always wondered what happened to Downtown Science. Their debut was ahead of its time and still holds up well today. I heard Bosco Money dropped a solo album years afterwards, but they pretty much fell off the face of the earth.

dadaluholla 11-07-05 02:15 PM

Yeah, I haven't heard Radioactive in years. They were on Def Jam weren't they? I might have to track down a copy.

Anyway, in regards to Blockhead, I always enjoyed his beats but I'm not sure I could listen to a full instrumental album. Very few have ever been able to hold my attention long enough unless it was just on as background music. Well aside from maybe Shadow's endroducing or that avalanches cd.

Ergyu 11-07-05 04:27 PM

Music by Cavelight is excellent so I'll definitely check this out.

ukywyldcat 02-19-08 11:18 PM

I am a new "fan". Was getting my hair cut the other day and a song was playing, so I asked what it was. It was Sunday Seance. I went to download Blockhead, and find the tracks I've downloaded excellent. Very impressed! I'll be downloading as much as I can get my hands on. My kind of music. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: