Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Neil Diamond - "12 Songs" (produced by Rick Rubin)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Columbia Records will release 12 Songs, the first new studio album from Neil Diamond in four years, on Tuesday, November 8.

One of the year's most heavily-anticipated new releases, 12 Songs pairs the pop music icon with legendary producer Rick Rubin. Producing a Neil Diamond album has been a long-time dream for Rubin, whose extraordinary resume spans the history of hip-hop from LL Cool J to Jay Z, the world of hardcore rock from Slayer to System Of A Down, and the pantheon of mythic stars from Tom Petty and Donovan to Mick Jagger and Johnny Cash's immortal Grammy-winning American Recordings series.

"After the first few meetings," writes Neil Diamond in his revelatory liner notes to 12 Songs, "I realized (Rick) loved music in the same way I did. For both of us it was visceral, passionate and could even be an elevating experience. It turned out that we served the same mistress - music, and that was to become our first real connection."

According to Neil, "I locked myself in the recording studio with a whole box of number 2 pencils, a big stack of my trusty yellow legal pads and a funky old three-quarter size Martin Guitar with an E minor chord that could break your heart….Rick was determined not to rush the process, but to wait until we got to the essence of the songs I was working on. I loved the sheer freedom of creating music for its own sake."

"Most of the songs were recorded with Neil playing and singing at the same time," said Rick Rubin in a Rolling Stone article (9/22/05) profiling the producer, "and it's a different animal. It's taking him back to being more of a singer-songwriter. He really blows me away."

When it came time to record 12 Songs, Rick Rubin assembled a sympathetic ensemble of musicians to capture the essence of Neil Diamond's extraordinary new songs, each of them a finely-wrought gem, soul-searching, honest, yearning, and powerful.

A core group of musicians made up of Mike Campbell (guitar) and Benmont Tench (piano/organ) from Tom Petty's Heartbreakers and guitarist Smokey Hormel (Beck, Tom Waits) and other musicians including the renowned Larry Knechtel (piano) and Billy Preston (organ) played on the album.

The track listing for 12 Songs is: "Oh Mary," "Hell Yeah," "Captain of a Shipwreck," "Evermore," "Save Me A Saturday Night," "Delirious Love," "I'm On To You," "What's It Gonna Be," "Man of God," "Create Me," "Face Me," and "We." A special digipak edition of 12 Songs will feature two bonus tracks: "Men Are So Easy" and an alternate version of "Delirious Love" with guest artist Brian Wilson.

"….judging by eight finished tracks," wrote Lorraine Ali, previewing 12 Songs for Newsweek (August 1, 2005), "this is the best work Diamond has done in 30 years."
http://www.myspace.com/neildiamond

Just listened to the entire album (streamed at MySpace, linked above) and I'm really digging it. While I'm not a superfan of The Neil, I do have a soft spot for him. My dad's not really a music fan at all, but he would make us listen to Diamond's Tap Root Manuscript on long car trips. My brother, sister, and I made fun of it at the time, but I've grown to appreciate Diamond. The guy's made some great music over the years. I've only listened to this stream once, but I'm definitely picking up the album. Hopefully, it'll be on sale.

According to Amazon, it's copy protected.

I don't think there'll be a huge resurgance in popularity, like Johnny Cash achieved with Rubin, though. But it'd be nice.

Last edited by DJLinus; 11-04-05 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-04-05, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to the Myspace page but it doesn't seem to be streaming anything. Do you have to go to another link to hear the stream?
Old 11-04-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait to check this CD out.
Old 11-04-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm...just checked and it works for me. The player should load with the page and play automatically. Maybe you have to register with MySpace first - it's free.
Old 11-04-05, 09:42 PM

I've listened to plenty of streams there before and never registered. Guess I'll register and see.

Just registered but stream still doesn't play. Looks like others are having the same problem according to some postings on the MySpace forums. Crap! I really want to hear this! Guess I'll wait and pick it up on release day.

Last edited by Cobrachris; 11-04-05 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-04-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"This next song I wrote after I killed a drifter to get an erection."
Old 11-05-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Andalusia
"This next song I wrote after I killed a drifter to get an erection."
I saw this thread and I KNEW someone was going to post that!

Old 11-05-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Highly anticipated album for me. This is exactly what Neil should have been doing for the last 25 years. Can't wait.
Old 11-05-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cobrachris
Just registered but stream still doesn't play. Looks like others are having the same problem according to some postings on the MySpace forums. Crap! I really want to hear this! Guess I'll wait and pick it up on release day.
I wanted to listen to the album again, so went to the MySpace link and the player didn't load. I refreshed the page and then it worked. Don't know if that'll work for you, but it did for me.

Entertainment Weekly review:

You've encountered him before, but rarely like this. He's at the bar, nursing a drink and holding forth in that voice-of-God way. He calls himself a ''lucky old dreamer'' but worries he's ''too old to pretend'' there are happy endings. He admits he's been hurt and lied to, and that he's ''gotta say it fast'' because, as a man in his 60s, he's feeling more than a little perishable. He'll listen to your worries, but he's in need of solace and salvation himself, and he thinks he still may be able to find it with one last great love. He's a bit of a windbag, but you like him anyway, especially when he hauls out a well-trod idea like ''Be careful how time's spent, because it's never gonna last'' and makes it sound like anything but a cliché.

That's the Neil Diamond we hear on 12 Songs, and it's about time. Although he's still capable of melancholic magnificence (2001's ''I Haven't Played This Song in Years,'' a worthy successor to his underrated '70s ballads), Diamond has spent the last two decades in a purgatory of sparkly shirts, unremarkable Lite FM fodder, and concert crowds who still (groan) interject ''ba-ba-ba!'' into ''Sweet Caroline.''

Rick Rubin, his new producer, decided to downsize Diamond's music. Finally, the songs don't sound as if they were arranged to fill arenas; the singer's well- preserved, Corinthian-leather voice and softly strummed chords are the focus. Only once, on the overheated ''Delirious Love,'' does Diamond risk embarrassment by getting horny-old-guy frisky. Mostly, Rubin restores a graceful simplicity to the songs, from the bashful seduction ''Save Me a Saturday Night'' to the doleful dirge ''Oh Mary,'' and ''I'm On to You'' is a marvel: a rare snappish post-breakup putdown that sounds as if Diamond were stranded in a jazz cocktail bar.

12 Songs isn't merely a reprise of Rubin's work with Johnny Cash. Rubin may have wanted to present his new client as nakedly as he did Cash, but you can almost hear Diamond resisting. Songs that start simply — like ''Hell Yeah'' and ''Evermore''— gradually swell with the addition of billowy strings and stately pianos. That tension between Rubin's desire to pare it down and Diamond's tendency to amp it up makes for the best musical checks and balances; nothing gets too unplugged or too bombastic. And Chris Martin could learn a thing or two about crafting a virile, unsappy lean-on-me ode from ''Captain of a Shipwreck'' and ''What's It Gonna Be.''

Those expecting another ''Cherry, Cherry'' will be disappointed; those days are long gone. Yet 12 Songs sounds more natural — and more honest — than, say, the latest by the Rolling Stones. Granted, it does end with ''We,'' a song so corny it could have been a TV theme had television existed in 1925. It seems an odd way to wrap up, but actually, it's about right — the sound of that guy in the bar meandering out, a hint of a spring in his step and a cautious sense of hope in his head. Grade: A

Last edited by DJLinus; 11-05-05 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hold down CTRL when refreshing. Seems like pop-up blockers are hindering the player.
Old 11-05-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For you fellow Diamondheads, here's a list of upcoming television appearances:

CBS Sunday Morning--Nov. 6
The Today Show-- Nov. 8
The View--Nov. 9
The Tonight Show--Nov. 14
CBS The Early Show--airs Nov. 25
Old 11-05-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
If the myspace shows the full album... why are there 14 songs on 12 Songs?
Old 11-05-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GuessWho
If the myspace shows the full album... why are there 14 songs on 12 Songs?
The MySpace site actually streams the special edition CD that has 2 bonus tracks.
Old 11-06-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Prices from the Sunday newspaper ads:

Target
standard: $11.98
limited: $14.98

Circuit City
standard: $11.99
limited: $13.99

Best Buy
standard: $11.99

Media Play
standard: $8.99
limited: $14.99

K-Mart
standard: $9.99
Old 11-08-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Picked up the limited edition today. I knew it was going to be a digipack, but was relieved when I saw that it is standard size (unlike the Morrissey You Are the Quarry deluxe 1.0). Man, what a great album.

Originally Posted by Numanoid
For you fellow Diamondheads, here's a list of upcoming television appearances:
Thanks for posting these. I must be turning into a Diamondhead, since I caught the first two appearences and plan on watching the rest.

I know it's been discussed before, but I'm lazy. How the hell do I get around Sony's copy protection?
Old 11-08-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I know it's been discussed before, but I'm lazy. How the hell do I get around Sony's copy protection?
i don't think we're allowed to discuss that here, unfortunately.

on another note, i hate leaving autorun turned on, on my computer.
Old 11-08-05, 10:33 PM

I actually had total difficulty ripping this one the my PC...

In the past, I have much success with ripping "Copy Controlled" CD's (My Morning Jacket, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, etc.) using the standard evasion methods.

This time, though, my primary mp3-encoding software (Creative MediaSource) refused to rip, and my backup option (iTunes) determined that the disc was "blank."

So, I ended up going the EAC/LAME route--which I usually avoid because it takes much longer to rip a CD--with success.

All that just to listen to a so-so album on my mp3 player...damn you, Sony BMG!
Old 11-08-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

regarding the album itself, i picked up the digipak edition today. i'm really digging it thus far. i'm a casual neil fan. i pale in comparison to my mom, but who doesn't?
Old 11-09-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Picked it up yesterday at Best Buy ($9.99 by the way, not $11.99). Couldn't bring myself to pay ten bucks more for two songs (though if anyone is feeling generous, you know where to find me ).

Only listened through once so far, but it is pretty powerful stuff. It's the kind of music you want to stop whatever you're doing and pay attention to. As a lifelong Diamond fan (my first album EVER was his 12 Greatest Hits back in '76 or so), and after enduring the last 20 years of his "doing whatever it takes to appeal to 50 year-old women" sound, it's very satisfying to see him come full circle and be just a good ole rock and roll singer-songwriter again.

Way to go, Neil (and Rick!)

Last edited by Numanoid; 11-10-05 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-09-05, 09:45 AM
Cool New Member

Picked it up yesterday at Best Buy ($9.99 by the way, not $11.99). Couldn't bring myself to pay ten bucks more for two songs (though if anyone is feeling generous, you know where to find me ).

Only listened through once so far, but it is pretty powerful stuff. It's the kind of music you want to stop whatever you're doing and pay attention to. As a lifelong Diamond fan (my first album EVER was his 12 Greatest Hits back in '76 or so), and after enduring the last 20 years of his "doing whatever it takes to appeal to 50 year-old women" sound", it's very satisfying to see him come full circle and be just a good ole rock and roll singer-songwriter again.

Way to go, Neil (and Rick!)
I picked it up yesterday too - from Target. I have listened through the entire CD twice and I have to agree with you - "It's powerful stuff"! He's not trying to be the Vegas performer - just a singer and songwriter. I know this sounds crazy, but the CD was a little like listening to Bob Dylan for me - real, introspective songwriting!

Great CD!
Old 11-09-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The blurb in my newspaper the other day started with the line, "He's ditched the figure skater shirts..."

Weird. My BB had them for $11.99. And the limited edition was marked as $13.99, but rang up for much more than that. I really like the addition of Brian Wilson on "Delirious Love," so I opted for big, spiffy digipack.

I plan on attempting to rip this CD tonight so I can put it on my mp3 player (nothing helps your workout more than listening to Neil!). If I'm successful, I just may hook you up.
Old 11-09-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, at BB the digipak had a tag of $13.99, a display of $11.99 on sale, but rang up at $19.99. i said "uh, might want to check that price" so they did. strange discrepancy.
Old 11-09-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, did it install a rootkit on anyone's computer?

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl...21209&from=rss
http://www.grc.com/default.htm
http://www.eff.org/
http://boingboing.net/
(See, "Sony's EULA Is Worse...")

Last edited by Alvis; 11-09-05 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-09-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Alvis
Not sure, but I just ripped a couple of tracks using DBPowerAmp and they seem to play fine (although I got an error at the end of ripping).

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
on another note, i hate leaving autorun turned on, on my computer.
Wink wink, nudge nudge.
Old 11-09-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alvis
Looks like it will:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004144.php

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.