Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Nightwish Fires Tarja

Old 10-23-05, 03:18 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,254
Nightwish Fires Tarja

http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth....wsitemID=43248

Can't say I'm surprised that Tarja and Nightwish have parted ways, but the way it happened did raise an eyebrow.

For a while now, I've had a feeling that Tarja was going to bolt ... she had been doing solo work, sang for other performers, and started up her own website, but I thought they might get one more album out together.

And I thought she would be the one to leave the band, not the other way around.

It will be tough to replace her, since she was front of the band and arguably its main draw even if she didn't participate in the songwriting.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 10-23-05, 10:43 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: nowhere
Posts: 520
I can't believe it.
89981 is offline  
Old 10-24-05, 12:37 AM
  #3  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,864
Wow.

Interesting to see where they go now. Great band!
The Cow is online now  
Old 10-24-05, 09:01 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Shagrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,383
I've always dug Nightwish, so it'll be interesting if they can get a new vocalist that's as good as Tarja. I hope they can so that they can live on and not die out because of this. I never followed any of the behind-the-scenes stuff for Nightwish, but from what Tuomas wrote, she seems like a major bitch.
Shagrath is offline  
Old 10-24-05, 11:41 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,426
Ok, is "Nightwish" a Metal band? I assume they are since this info came from blabbermouth. But to be honest, the name "Nightwish" and "Tarja" seems more like some New Age Yanni knock off band.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 10-24-05, 01:41 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,159
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Ok, is "Nightwish" a Metal band? I assume they are since this info came from blabbermouth. But to be honest, the name "Nightwish" and "Tarja" seems more like some New Age Yanni knock off band.
Symphonic metal with female vocals. Think a slightly more prog and heavier Evanescence (sp?). They're actually not half bad, though I prefer the somewhat more poppy The Gathering.

They're from Finland, where I assume Tarja is a reasonable name. She's also fairly smoking, at least she was a few years ago.
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 10-24-05, 02:40 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 4,521
Originally Posted by Hiro11
They're from Finland, where I assume Tarja is a reasonable name.
It is indeed; in fact it's also the first name of our president. I hope some of you guys have been watching Late Night With Conan O'Brien recently.
Tyler_Durden is offline  
Old 10-24-05, 03:32 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,426
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
It is indeed; in fact it's also the first name of our president. I hope some of you guys have been watching Late Night With Conan O'Brien recently.

I have!!!

Can you say "seperated at birth"?
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 10-24-05, 03:55 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,751
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Symphonic metal with female vocals. Think a slightly more prog and heavier Evanescence (sp?).
Great summary.

She will be a hard one to replace. I'm more surprised that there are a half dozen people on this forum that have heard of them.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 10-24-05, 06:58 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: nowhere
Posts: 520
Maybe she will do straight opera now. I wouldn't say she's a bitch, just wants to go her own way and try something else.
89981 is offline  
Old 10-27-05, 01:13 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,214
I really like Nightwish but Tarja's vocals weren't my favorite. I think I prefer a style more like Within Temptation's (who you should check out if you haven't already).
Mordred is offline  
Old 10-27-05, 01:27 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: nowhere
Posts: 520
Yup, they're good to.
89981 is offline  
Old 10-27-05, 06:03 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: nowhere
Posts: 520
http://www.tarjaturunen.com/ tarjas letter to the fans and the nightwish forums are back.
89981 is offline  
Old 11-02-05, 09:38 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,382
Just read the news on another forum....

I think I'm officially depressed for the rest of the year........
candyrocket786 is offline  
Old 11-05-05, 03:59 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: PA
Posts: 2,180
so now they'll just be plain old Manowar? sucks.
Venom is offline  
Old 11-05-05, 04:18 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,382
Rumored Replacement

Nicole Bogner (formerly of Visions of Atlantis)

Music Video :"Lost" ("Save Target As")
candyrocket786 is offline  
Old 11-05-05, 04:28 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: nowhere
Posts: 520
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Rumored Replacement

Nicole Bogner (formerly of Visions of Atlantis)

Music Video :"Lost" ("Save Target As")
Bah, I was hoping it wasn't her.
89981 is offline  
Old 11-05-05, 04:35 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,382
It's just a rumor....

I think everyone believes Tuomas will select someone from the school Tarja attended (the name escapes me)
candyrocket786 is offline  
Old 05-29-07, 12:01 AM
  #19  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,864
Holy tread bump batman!

Nightwish announced their new singer Anette:


New sample songs on their website.
The Cow is online now  
Old 05-29-07, 01:23 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Under a dead Ohio sky
Posts: 5,820
Should have gotten that chick from Skunk Anansie.
Thrush is offline  
Old 05-29-07, 04:42 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,465
I was never a big fan of Tarja's vocals, although I understand that it was what helped set Nightwish apart. She did a good job with her role, it just wasn't for me.

This new singer, she seems to have less of the operatic style. I tend to like it more, but I imagine the fans will not. She could bring new fans to the band, though.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 05-29-07, 06:31 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,521
Thanks for the update, I'll have to check out the new songs. I'm a Nightwish fan, and I've always liked Tarja's vocals, so it will be strange hearing someone else. Nice to see the band finally getting back on track though.
cultshock is offline  
Old 05-29-07, 11:51 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,254
Not impressed with the new singer at all.
Josh-da-man is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.