Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Greatest Guitar Solos?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Greatest Guitar Solos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike1055
I'm not going to pretend to be a Beatles expert but I would think the solo on Taxman would be Harrison's it was his song and wasn't Paul mainly the bass player.
Paul McCartney DID play the solo on Taxman. It sounds so weird because it was played on a right handed guitar but him playing it left-handed. I *think* the same goes for the "Good Morning, Good Morning" solo which sounds exactly the same.
Old 10-18-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Every Single Steve Vai Solo ever.
Old 10-18-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kakihara1

I've never been that big a fan of his (or any of the virtuosos). I've always felt that the song is still top priority and a solo is part of the song.....not the other way around. Eddie Van Halen, Kirk Hammett, Randy Rhodes all knew how to play kick-ass solos that worked with the song and, ultimately, went some place. A lot of virtuoso solos seem to go nowhere. They are amazing, yes, and can only be mastered by a select few, but I think the song itself has a lot to do with the quality of the solo.
Old 10-19-05, 07:31 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I've never been that big a fan of his (or any of the virtuosos). I've always felt that the song is still top priority and a solo is part of the song.....not the other way around. Eddie Van Halen, Kirk Hammett, Randy Rhodes all knew how to play kick-ass solos that worked with the song and, ultimately, went some place. A lot of virtuoso solos seem to go nowhere. They are amazing, yes, and can only be mastered by a select few, but I think the song itself has a lot to do with the quality of the solo.
Very well-stated and dead-on!
Old 10-19-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
It may seem strange because of my pick but I agree with you, Steve Vai is my exception, it's not like I sit around listening to melmsteen all day but I'm amazed every time I throw my copy of "Skyskraper" in (yes I know go ahead and make fun) everything about that album is amazing and it's all because of Vai. I have some odd tastes though when it comes to guitarists personally I think the guitar work of guys like Paul Leary (Butthole Surfers) and East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys) are every bit as unique and important as any of the so called viruosos, and you really have to pay attention to even notice that there was a solo because it's integrated into the songs so well.
Old 10-19-05, 12:39 PM

Just about any solo Uli Jon Roth has ever done will beat this entire thread.
Old 10-19-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Alex Lifeson (Rush)-Limelight
Rik Emmett(Triumph)-When the Lights Go Down
Reb Beach (Winger)-Seventeen...such an awesome guitar player that got overlooked as being just another "hair band" player.
Good calls! Especailly Rik Emmett - love that one!
Old 10-20-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=kakihara1]It may seem strange because of my pick but I agree with you, Steve Vai is my exception, it's not like I sit around listening to melmsteen all day but I'm amazed every time I throw my copy of "Skyskraper" in (yes I know go ahead and make fun)

I don't get it make fun of what, it's a great album...
Old 10-21-05, 10:27 AM

Mr. Scary - George Lynch
Old 10-21-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love everything Randy Rhoads did and he was the reason i bought a guitar way back in high school,not only are they technical solos they always fit the song they are in perfectly and arent just "show off" pieces.

Also anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old 10-21-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of the things I love about Stevie Ray Vaughan, is that if you've ever watched/seen him play live - he's just so feeling it! He's picking up vibes from...somewhere...and just chanelling them through his playing - which, btw - he makes look so damn effortless. It's easy to get lost in those moments with him.
Old 10-22-05, 05:10 AM

Hour of Need-Stillwater (not the real band, but the one in Almost Famous)
If you have the track it's at 3:41

If you have the movie, it's on the theatrical cut during towards the middle\end during one of the concerts.
Old 10-22-05, 08:33 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
IMO you could take every guitar solo ever played by Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Van Halen, Rhoades, Hammet, and all those other annoying shredders, delete them from history, and rock music would be better off. There's not a single phrase that any of those guys played that doesn't strike me as annoying, pretentious garbage.
Old 10-22-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
IMO you could take every guitar solo ever played by Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Van Halen, Rhoades, Hammet, and all those other annoying shredders, delete them from history, and rock music would be better off. There's not a single phrase that any of those guys played that doesn't strike me as annoying, pretentious garbage.
Wow. Just wow.

I guess we need more Knack in our guitar solos.
Old 10-22-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your opinion is taken ... But if you think that all of these guys (which are not even close to being the same) did was 'shred' then you are totally mistaken. To throw a blanket statement (that I personally feel is just an opinion towards a certain type of music or look) then make your opinions of what you feel is one of the best solo's by a guitar player.
Old 10-22-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
Wow. Just wow.

I guess we need more Knack in our guitar solos.

Strong agreement.
Old 10-23-05, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Flashback
Your opinion is taken ... But if you think that all of these guys (which are not even close to being the same) did was 'shred' then you are totally mistaken. To throw a blanket statement (that I personally feel is just an opinion towards a certain type of music or look) then make your opinions of what you feel is one of the best solo's by a guitar player.
I did, in the other thread:

As a guitar player, I generally hate most guitar solos. That said, here are some of the ones I really like:

Cliff Gallup - both solos from "Race With the Devil", by Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps
Hubert Sumlin - the solo from Howlin' Wind's recording of "Spoonful"
Paul McCartney (I presume) - "Taxman", by The Beatles
Keith Richards - "Tumbling Dice" by the Rolling Stones
Robert Fripp - his solo on Eno's "Baby's on Fire"
Alex Chilton - his solo from Big Star's recording of "Till the End of the Day"
Robert Quine - both the solos from "Blank Generation" by Richard Hell and the Voidoids
Tom Verlaine - his solos on "Venus" and "Marquee Moon" by Television, and his solo on "Penetration" from his solo career
Richard Lloyd - his solo from Television's "See No Evil"
Old 10-23-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Strong agreement.
I forgot my sarcasm smiley.
Old 10-23-05, 04:35 PM

Driving around today, I heard another song with a great guitar solo - Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" (solo by Quine).