Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Danger Doom: The Mouse and the Mask - 10/11/05

Old 10-11-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Danger Doom: The Mouse and the Mask - 10/11/05

Tracklisting:
1. EL CHUPA NIBRE
2. SOFA KING
3. THE MASK FEAT. GHOSTFACE KILLAH
4. PERFECT HAIR
5. BENZIE BOX FEAT. CEE-LO
6. OLD SCHOOL
7. A.T.H.F. (AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE)
8. BASKET CASE
9. NO NAMES (BLACK DEBBIE)
10. CROSSHAIRS
11. MINCEMEAT
12. VATS OF URINE
13. SPACE HO'S
14. BADA BING

Amazon Review:
Amazon.com
Usually when you read that an album is "inspired by" a motion picture or TV show, you can be certain that the one thing those artists were inspired by was a big fat check, and consequently those records generally do not sound very good. But the debut collaboration between no-longer-underground hip-hop artists Dangermouse and MF Doom, allegedly inspired by the Cartoon Network's late-night stoner-centric animation series Adult Swim, is far better than it has any right being. Doom has one of the best flows around, and he's at least as smart as your favorite dictionary-digger. Danger Mouse's obscure samples are excellent, but this is just a fun record that's not trying to be more, or less. Character voices get worked in, and these are pretty cool, especially Shakey's send-up of the fake answering machine cliché. There're also guest appearances by Ghostface Killah, Cee-Lo, and Talib Kweli. When it comes to rappers hanging with cartoon characters, Mouse and the Mask is more fun than a Shaq attack and a Gorillaz record combined. --Mike McGonigal

Album Description
Two of this generation's most respected hip-hop artists, Danger Mouse and MF Doom have come together for this album, inspired by Adult Swim, Cartoon Network's popular late-night animation network. Doom, with his near obsession with masked identities and superhero personas, and Mouse, with his murky, ethereal soundscapes that cloud men's minds like Mandrake, are the perfect partners for the project, and each has inspired the other to the finest work of their careers. "The Mouse & The Mask" contains character voices and skits from Adult Swim's most popular original shows, including "Aqua Teen Hunger Force", "Sealab 2021", and "Harvey Birdman, Attorney At Law", along with guest appearances by Cee-Lo, Talib Kweli, and Ghostface Killah.

Anyone pick this up or hear it yet? It's $9.99 at BB this week.
Old 10-11-05, 12:38 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441018
Old 10-11-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmmm....I wonder why my search didn't bring up this thread on "danerdoom".
Old 10-11-05, 01:09 PM

Is this CD the first album team up for MF Doom and DM?
Old 10-11-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is already a thread on this.
Old 10-11-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stupid question: Is there an edited verison of this CD or are the bleeps intentional seeing as though this has an Adult Swim tie-in?
Old 10-12-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
There is already a thread on this.
The other thread has one reply. If it's so precious to you, you should have posted there instead of wasting a post in this one.

Anyway, I got this cd today but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I'll probably check it out on the car ride to work tomorrow.
Old 10-12-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mifuneral
Anyway, I got this cd today but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I'll probably check it out on the car ride to work tomorrow.
I don't think you'll be let down. This is one of the most cohesive hip hop records I've heard in a good long while. It really pays to listen to the whole thing together as the tracks build on each other nicely. I don't mean storywise, but just the structure of the album. The beats and lyrics...it really is a throwback and a personal classic for me.

I've been listening to a lot of Ghostface lately (he killed Pretty Toney) and I cannot wait for Ghostface vs MF Doom! I wish that shit would hurry up and come out. Especially after hearing how good they vibed together on this cd.
Old 10-12-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait to pick this up.
It is good to see some hip hop artists are still bringing creativity to their projects.
Old 10-12-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

good review up at pitchfork:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record...the-mask.shtml

Listened to the full LP last night and I agree that it is very cohesive. The skits actually contribute to the music for once. Especially funny if youre a fan of Adult Swim.
Old 10-12-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I cannot wait for Ghostface vs MF Doom! I wish that shit would hurry up and come out. Especially after hearing how good they vibed together on this cd.
Ditto. This cd is great, I'm hoping that will be even better.
Old 10-13-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by auto
good review up at pitchfork:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record...the-mask.shtml

Listened to the full LP last night and I agree that it is very cohesive. The skits actually contribute to the music for once. Especially funny if youre a fan of Adult Swim.
How does the record hold up once you get tired of the comedy?
Old 10-13-05, 01:18 AM

Not a hip-hop fan here by any means, but this CD is Excellent, stays fresh each listen through.
Old 10-13-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
How does the record hold up once you get tired of the comedy?
See I think that review was off in calling it a comedy album. Weird Al makes comedy albums and this isn't that. I've listened to it all the way through a bunch of times and haven't grown tired of the "skits" yet. I wouldn't call them skits even. I associate rap skits with being awful and usually consisting of answering machine messages or something else boring, but these add to the songs like auto said. It definitely pays to be a fan of Adult Swim, but if you aren't it's still good. I only really like Brak and Space Ghost, but I still enjoyed the other cameos.
Old 10-13-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To call them skits (as I did), is incorrect. Most are basically cameos by the Adult Swim lineup. Even if you know nothing about Adult Swim, you will most likely find these funny.
Old 10-13-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by auto
To call them skits (as I did), is incorrect. Most are basically cameos by the Adult Swim lineup. Even if you know nothing about Adult Swim, you will most likely find these funny.
If people don't find Brak's rendition of "Turn the beat around" funny then...they have no soul.
Old 10-13-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed.
Old 10-13-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

this record is so fresh and Doom's lyricism on here is amazing as always, this is an album everybody can enjoy, hoping it sells well and for people that don't like hip-hop but like Doom check out Madvillainy, which is Doom and producer Madlib, amazing album.
Old 10-13-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Picked it up today. Can't wait to give it a spin.
Old 10-14-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a huge MF Doom fan and have been looking forward to this one for a while. This is Dooms best stuff since Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain IMO. Great album.
Old 10-14-05, 08:23 AM

Agree with all the comments thus far. By far the most consistent Doom collab effort to date. Madvillain was great, but it had a few mediocre tracks. Dangerdoom is amazing from beginning to end. It has that raw and fresh underground vibe yet the production is very polished. Along with edan's "Buety and the beat", its the best hop-hop album of the year so far.
Old 10-14-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So this is album is pretty great after a couple spins.
Old 10-15-05, 03:13 PM

I'm a huge MF Doom & Dangermouse fan, but do any of the actual songs feature Adult Swim characters, or is it just the skits?
Old 10-15-05, 05:23 PM

The Adult Swim characters make random cameo appearances in different songs, if I remember right.

I think what stands out to me about this CD is just that's it's a FUN album. It was well worth the wait.
Old 10-15-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by neocheddar02
I'm a huge MF Doom & Dangermouse fan, but do any of the actual songs feature Adult Swim characters, or is it just the skits?
There are no indivdual tracks that are skits. Some cameos happen just before or after the track starts and some are actually part of the track.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.