DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   EMINEM: "Curtain Call" [Best of]-12/6/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/441043-eminem-curtain-call-%5Bbest-%5D-12-6-05-a.html)

gerrythedon 10-10-05 05:02 PM

EMINEM: "Curtain Call" [Best of]-12/6/05

Eminem Fuels Retirement Rumors With Best-Of

Adding further fuel to the rumor that he plans to retire or at the very least take an extended break from music, Eminem is eyeing a Dec. 6 release for his first retrospective, "Curtain Call." According to Aftermath/Interscope, the track list is not yet finalized but will feature "at least two" new songs in addition to such hits as "Stan," "The Way I Am," "My Name Is" and "Lose Yourself."

The label further says Eminem has been working on "Curtain Call" since early summer, presumably before he was forced to cancel the end of his Anger Management tour with 50 Cent and seek treatment for an addiction to sleep medication.

"I have some songs that a lot of people like," says Eminem, who has sold 29 million albums in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. "I have some songs that only I like. This album is obviously for the 'lot' of people."

Earlier this summer, the Detroit Free Press published an article claiming Eminem would retire after the Anger Management tour and that his 2004 album, "Encore," would likely be his last.

Although the artist has made no definitive statements about his future, a source close to the situation told Billboard.com at the time, "'Encore' was the close of the first chapter in his career. Beyond that, who knows?"

Eminem continues to make appearances behind the scenes, including an unusual production job on Redman's upcoming album, "Red Gone Wild." As previously reported, the cut "I C Dead People" lives up to its name by utilizing rapping from late artists Big Pun, Big L and Notorious B.I.G.

BILLBOARD.com

mkdevo 10-12-05 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
The label further says Eminem has been working on "Curtain Call" since early summer,

i wonder what kind of "work" is required on a best-of album that would take 5+ months... :hscratch:

neocheddar02 10-17-05 05:01 AM

I was thinking the same. 5 months for a greatest hits album? Maybe he's recording new material. My guess is that the songlist will be only his BIG pop hits. I wonder what the unreleased songs will be, hopefully nothing we've heard before.

The Antipodean 10-17-05 12:24 PM

I'll pick this up; the only one of his CDs I have is "The Eminem Show" and I love several of the songs, but there's way too much filler on it. One thing I despise about hip-hop albums is the inane skits and crap used to pad out a disc -- I have the same problem with Outkast's CDs.

Mano 10-18-05 12:41 AM

I wish that he would officially release his real first album "Infinite". The only stuff from that you can find are on P2P. It's a shame too because his really early stuff is just great.

JP5683 10-20-05 03:05 AM

There was a commercial for this during the South Park season premiere. Song played was "Lose Yourself" and then it mentioned ITunes.

auto 10-20-05 02:03 PM

Looks like iTunes is going to help "break" another struggling artist. Kudos!

DVDHO 10-20-05 04:37 PM

Struggling?are you nuts,this man is worth a half a billion $$$ and is not even in the realm of struggling.

He is also working on Obies and Stat Quo's albums which will be released early next year.

His last album sold over 5 million albums,if this is struggling then I would like to see someone who is not struggling,thx for the laugh though.

PJsig08 10-20-05 04:38 PM

I think auto was being sarcastic.

Too bad you can't detect these kinda things on the internet.

DVDHO 10-20-05 04:40 PM

Guess not,going to buy me a sarcastic internet detector so these things dont happen anymore.

milo bloom 10-20-05 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by DVDHO
Guess not,going to buy me a sarcastic internet detector so these things dont happen anymore.

Hello, my name is Joe, and I am a Nigerian citizen who is danger of losing my supply of internet sarcasm detectors. If you can send me $400 dollars to my email above, I can use this to file the papers neccesary to secure the patents and begin selling these items, with your return being in the tens of thousands of dollars. Don't delay!"

I might pick this up, I've always enjoyed the "radio" hits, but I guess I'm just not hardcore enough for the deep album tracks.

auto 10-20-05 06:23 PM

Struggling?are you nuts,this man is worth a half a billion $$$ and is not even in the realm of struggling.

He is also working on Obies and Stat Quo's albums which will be released early next year.

His last album sold over 5 million albums,if this is struggling then I would like to see someone who is not struggling,thx for the laugh though.

Thanks for the info DVDHO. I have no idea what those other people are talking about. I had never heard of this M&M but I sure love iTunes! (All that music that I used to get for free but now I can pay for it! Heaven, here I come!) This forum has turned me on to a lot of cool music, though, so I'll give him (them?) a try.

You are very welcome for the laugh.

FrozenMetalHead 11-07-05 08:50 PM

From mtv.com

A small update:

Eminem's Curtain Call just got a little longer. The album will be available in a special two-disc edition that beefs up his collection of greatest hits with a disc devoted to his memorable collaborations. A final track list has yet to be hammered out, but expect to find Em's landmark duet of "Stan" with Elton John in the mix. The set will also feature three new tracks, including the single "When I'm Gone," which you can preview on Monday evening (November 7) on MTV Overdrive.

Tarantino 11-07-05 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Hello, my name is Joe, and I am a Nigerian citizen who is danger of losing my supply of internet sarcasm detectors. If you can send me $400 dollars to my email above, I can use this to file the papers neccesary to secure the patents and begin selling these items, with your return being in the tens of thousands of dollars. Don't delay!"

:lol:

Anyway, about the album, I'm not excited...I've already got his whole library (anything you can find...anywhere). I'd like to hear the new songs though.

= J

Trelach24 11-07-05 09:43 PM

Is there any way of getting a legit, real copy of his Infinite album?

Andalusia 11-07-05 09:46 PM

He used the word "break" in quotation marks. Thus, sarcasm is implied.

EdTheRipper 11-09-05 07:10 PM

I'll more than likely pick this up. I'm a sucker for Greatest Hits releases.

Michael T Hudson 11-09-05 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I'll pick this up; the only one of his CDs I have is "The Eminem Show" and I love several of the songs, but there's way too much filler on it. One thing I despise about hip-hop albums is the inane skits and crap used to pad out a disc -- I have the same problem with Outkast's CDs.

I agree with you about a lot off rap but The Eminem Show is an amazing cd. The only filler in my book is Superman. As far as Outkast goes pick up the first cd if you do not have it all ready.

Frank TJ Mackey 11-10-05 02:20 PM

the single "When I'm Gone" from greatest hits is the first new one and it's nothing to write home about (aka more sappy crap from Em)

as if the Mockingbird song wasn't bad enough, it'd be nice to see him get some fire back as he had earlier in his career.

GuessWho 11-15-05 04:11 PM

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tarantino 11-15-05 05:05 PM

The tracklisting (according to CDWow)...

Intro
My Name Is
The Way I Am
Richard Gere : Exclusive
Stan
Lose Yourself
Shake That Feat. Nate Dogg
Sing For The Moment
Without Me
Like Toy Soldiers
The Real Slim Shady
Mockingbird
Guilty Conscience Feat. Dr. Dre
Cleanin’ Out My Closet
Just Lose It
When I’m Gone
Stan Feat. Elton John (Live Bonus Track)

neocheddar02 11-15-05 08:54 PM

I wonder what the 2nd disc will have

EdTheRipper 11-15-05 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey
the single "When I'm Gone" from greatest hits is the first new one and it's nothing to write home about (aka more sappy crap from Em)

as if the Mockingbird song wasn't bad enough, it'd be nice to see him get some fire back as he had earlier in his career.

Agreed...I heard the song for the first time the other day and didn't care for it at all.

Rypro 525 11-15-05 11:37 PM

lets see whats missing (singles/radio songs
superman, Halie's song, role model, white america, ass like that
and the songs that made him controversial
97 bonnie and clyde, just don't give a fuck, bitch please, kill you, bitch please II, kim ect.

FrozenMetalHead 11-16-05 09:09 AM

Just found this

Eminem pulls back curtain on greatest hits

The track listing for Eminem's greatest hits set "Curtain Call" has been revealed -- and it's confusing, so pay attention. The set will include three new songs -- "When I'm Gone," "FACK" and "Shake That," a duet with Nate Dogg -- as well as such Shady hits as "Lose Yourself," "Sing for the Moment" and two versions of "Stan," one featuring Elton John. A deluxe edition of the LP throws in seven additional cuts, including "Kill You," "Role Model" and "Criminal," as well as duets with the Notorious B.I.G. ("Dead Wrong") and Jay-Z ("Renegade"). Furthermore, those who preorder either set on iTunes will receive three bonus tracks, "Bad Guys Always Die," "Got You Mad" and "Bad Influence." Got it? Good.

DVD Josh 11-16-05 10:36 AM

Bad Influence is a great song (from The Eighth Day soundtrack). I love this line:

People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already fucked, I'm just adding to it.

Brilliant.

FrozenMetalHead 11-16-05 01:14 PM

Deluxe Edition Track Listing

According to what's up in iTunes - Here's the Deluxe Edition tracklisting:

1. Intro
2. My Name Is
3. The Way I Am
4. FACK
5. Stan
6. Lose Yourself
7. Shake That (w/ Nate Dogg)
8. Sing For The Moment
9. Without Me
10. Like Toy Soldiers
11. The Real Slim Shady
12. Mockingbird
13. Guilty Conscience (w/ Dr. Dre)
14. Cleanin' Out My Closet
15. Just Lose It
16. When I'm Gone
17. Stan (Live w/ Elton John)

2nd Disc
18. Dead Wrong (w/ Notorious B.I.G.)
19. Role Model
20. Kill You
21. S*** On You (w/ D-12)
22. Criminal
23. Renegade (w/ Jay-Z)
24. Just Don't Give A F***

Available through Preorder Only at iTunes
25. Bad Guys Always Die
26. Got You Mad
27. Bad Influence

PJsig08 11-24-05 02:16 PM

The one disc version has been leaked...

As for the new songs, FACK is terrible. Shake That w/Nate Dogg is alright and When I'm Gone we've all heard. An okay collection, but if you have is other albums, you definitely don't need this.

DRG 11-28-05 02:14 PM

Sorta mixed on the tracklisting. On one hand, they did manage to get every *major* hit on there. But the second disc "devoted to his memorable collaborations" is a bit skimpy. They could've moved the Elton John version of "Stan" to that disc and had room for another single like "Business", "Superman" or "Ass Like That" on the main disc. It also would've been nice to have a few more D12 and Dre songs on the collaboration disc. "Purple Pills" and "Forgot About Dre" would be nice. But I suppose I can just make my own compilation if I'm gonna complain about it. :)

U6C84 11-28-05 03:30 PM

my favorite song... "Drug Ballad" isn't on there....

The Ferret 11-28-05 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by U6C84
my favorite song... "Drug Ballad" isn't on there....

I always liked that one too, thought I was alone.

auto 12-07-05 10:06 AM

An interesting way to sell more albums...

Eminem Says He's Back With Ex-Wife

DETROIT - Rap superstar Eminem told a radio show Tuesday that he is back together with his ex-wife and may remarry. Eminem went through an ugly divorce and custody battle over his young daughter with Kimberly Mathers. They married in 1999, and their divorce was finalized in 2001.

"We have reconciled and are probably going to remarry," Eminem told Detroit radio station WKQI-FM's "Mojo in the Morning" show.

During the interview, he referred to Kimberly Mathers, 30, as "my wife Kim."

Eminem's label Interscope Records said the interview was the only one that Eminem had planned for now. The rapper's greatest-hits album titled "Curtain Call" was released Tuesday.

Eminem, whose real name is Marshall Mathers III, also discussed his stay earlier this year at a hospital to undergo treatment for sleep medication dependency. Word of the hospitalization came in August after he canceled his European tour.

"When I went into rehab, I kind of went into it ... with the notion of 'I'm gonna get clean, I'm gonna get off this stuff before it gets too out of hand,'" he said.

In July, Eminem denied an impending retirement but hinted at taking a breather. On Tuesday, the 33-year-old, who lives in suburban Detroit, spoke more about his uncertain future.

"I'm at a point in my life right now where I feel like I don't know where my career is going," he said. "This is the reason that we called it 'Curtain Call,' because this could be the final thing. We don't know."

Dan1boy 12-07-05 12:05 PM

um, is anyone else here disgusted that iTunes is raping consumers on Em's best of at $14.99 for the standard version download? You've got to be kidding me....

PJsig08 12-07-05 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
um, is anyone else here disgusted that iTunes is raping consumers on Em's best of at $14.99 for the standard version download? You've got to be kidding me....

Well someone's gotta pay for that iTunes commerical featuring Em. I see it, oh, just about every 5 seconds or so...

DVDChris 12-08-05 12:58 PM

I see the standard version as $11.99. The Deluxe Edition is $14.99. But yeah, i pretty much have everything already so I'll pass.

DVD Josh 12-18-05 02:24 PM

Okay. FACK. What the hell is this song? It might be the most disturbing thing I've ever heard. What a waste of a good Dre beat.

Tarantino 12-18-05 04:05 PM

Well, it's horrible...that's for sure.

= J

DrRingDing 01-27-06 02:42 AM

so, i just saw the "When I'm Gone" video for the first time this morning...

my question is: is that Haylee in the video? i'm fairly certain it's not Kim, but is it really Haylee?

-di doctor-