Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MEGADETH will continue on!!! [New Album, Live DVD...]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-10-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

THIS JUST IN: "YES, MEGADETH IS GOING TO CONTINUE TO PLAY"DAVE MUSTAINE makes his announcement after a special version of "Coming Home" to the Argentinian crowd at the sold out show in Buenos Aires.
"I told you earlier tonight that I was gonna let all of you know first before the rest of the world what our decision was - whether or not we were gonna continue with MEGADETH or not," MUSTAINE said before playing a special rendition of "Coming Home", with the song's lyrics changed from the original "I'm coming home to Arizona" to "I'm coming home to Argentina." Immediately after the song, MUSTAINE said "The answer is yes." MEGADETH will continue as a band. MEGADETH will record a new album. MEGADETH will continue to play.

10/10:
MEGADETH played an unplugged performance in a public park in Bueno Aires this past Saturday, Oct 8. The surprise acoustic show was filmed and will be included in the upcoming 'Argentina concert' DVD.

Acoustic Setlist:
Trust
Angry Again
Use The Man
Sweating Bullets
She Wolf
Holy Wars
In My Darkest Hour
A Tout Le Monde
Symphony Of Destruction

MEGADETH.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
old news updates leading up to yesterdays annoucement

10/09:
Concert in Buenos Aires tonight is sold out! Dave Mustaine will announce at the show his decision about the future of Megadeth. Stay tuned!!

09/27: MUSTAINE posts on Megadeth Forums regarding future!
"I have made up my mind and will tell you all on the night of the Buenos Aires concert . It will be up to the fans in Argentina to break the news to you after their last song.
Love and Bruises!"

9/25:
I have been in touch with the boys since I have been home and we are going to try to do something very special for the live DVD that we are making from Argentina, and I know the fans won't disappoint ya, I just hope I don't. We are going to try to play a song down there that I wrote specifically for Argentina, and do a lil word play on another song so that it works down there. I only wish that the entire world of Mega-fans could be there this one night to celebrate this moment with us together.

Last edited by gerrythedon; 10-10-05 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't even know Dave was considering ending the band. What's up with that?

I'm really glad he's not. The last record was f'ing incredible. It could have easily been titled "Rust In Peace Pt2".
Old 10-11-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are getting better.
Old 10-11-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Amel

I'm really glad he's not. The last record was f'ing incredible. It could have easily been titled "Rust In Peace Pt2".
This is after qutting MEGADETH:
Well after rehab [for his arm], he was planning a solo album, but he still owed his old Publishing Company one more album and they didn't wanna let him release the album as a solo one to cover their agreement, so he decided to make it a MEGADETH record instead.

Anyway, he was planning to go solo again after TSHF album, but with the great year that MEGADETH has had, he was undecided... so FUCK YEAH, I'm glad that he's continuing with MEGADETH.

I strongly agree TSHF was a great album. It was music that was left over from in between RUST IN PEACE and COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION. But the next album is gonna have contribution from the rest of the band, whoever is in it at that time
Old 10-11-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Amel

Yea really love that song "The Scorpion"
Old 10-11-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Something about Megadeth doing an unplugged/acoustic show seems odd.
Old 10-11-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Something about Megadeth doing an unplugged/acoustic show seems odd.
I would've thought so too but I was lucky enough to see an all acoustic set a few years ago after the Cryptic Writings album. I was blown away and it kinda kickstarted me back into listening to the band on regular basis.

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
I strongly agree TSHF was a great album. It was music that was left over from in between RUST IN PEACE and COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION. But the next album is gonna have contribution from the rest of the band, whoever is in it at that time
Wow, I didn't know the songs were from that time, but it makes perfect sense since everytime I listen to TSHF I feel like it's the second disc of the RIP. Hopefully, Poland will be around to contribute again on the new material and be able to tour this time.
Old 10-12-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oct. 9th 2005 part 1

This was my journal for Buenos Aires, Argentina, October 9, 2005 up until the show:

2:00
Now that I have made my decision I know I am going to have an extremely busy next few years, at least three to five with Megs if we get a good record contract, and hopefully at least ten with Gigantour. 2006 will have a new band, a new record, Gigantour North America, and possibly Gigantour Oz/Japan, as well as the DVD and CD for Gigantour, and the Megs DVD and CD from tonight, and what seems to be a Gigantour South America at the end of next year, I will be busy, busy, busy.

I am listening to new riffs from the Drovers again and some may actually make the next record, with a lil tweaking, they are that good. I am surprised at Shawn's stuff seeing as guitar is not his instrument that he plays, but he is very capable as some people have had the delight to see. I will probably start tracking the demo tracks for this 11th studio record as soon as I unwind at home next week. As well as selecting bands to go after for G2. I also have so much mixing to do on all the DVDs and CDs with Jeff Balding and Michael Sarna. Then or in-between is "The Arsenal of Megadeth" DVD from EMI. It's a shame that someone is trying to keep this from being released, especially when he is in the red. Silly boy!

4:00
I am back in the room and I have listened to all the Drovers riffs and now am listening to my own new stuff. I have a lot to choose from and am pretty confident I can make another record up to the level of "System" or hopefully much, much better. I need to take my time and not second guess myself like I did for so many records at the end before Mayday. Still sick and getting sicker. I better try to take a nap.

6:00ish
We have to go do a press conference right now.
Wow! Was that a bunch of shit. Some idiot asked me a question about a reunion in front of the guys; very rude. Then the moron does it again by saying, "Senor Menza says on the web stie that he wants to play with you again," and now I am pissed. I say, "stop! There is no Friedman, no Ellefson, no Menza ever again. Next question!"

8:30
The reason that I decided to make my announcement in Buenos Aires is very complicated. To make up for canceling after 9/11/2001 when Al's guitar tech refused to go because he thought someone was going to kill us because we are American, because of the emotional connection between Megs and BsAs, because we are recording, and because we are live broadcasting so the rest of the world will all be able to hear at the same exact second that I say, "The answer is . . . . YES!"

MEGADETH.com
Old 10-13-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dave's Journal of Argentina concert

part 2

In white sweatbands, a white shirt, black leather pants and black Pumas I headed up the ramp and did our routine before we take the stage. I say hello to Betina our fabulous promoter and her assistant Lilia, as well as give a Clint-like nod to the other people up on the stage, who I don't know, and the intro tape starts for "Blackmail." I send Glen and James out at their usual 42 second mark and I walk over to my guitar techs station and wait for the missile to be fired until I walk out on the stage. All I am concentrating on is not thinking about my body or how I feel, and the 18+ thousand fans are a huge dose of "feel good." I start the riff and walk to the mic. Everything went into a time warp.

I look out to the thousands of fans and I know that in an hour and a half or so I would be telling the world all at once what I have been struggling with. Partly my family which I told you, partly curiosity of what it would be like to start over again, and partly because I know there are people who are jealous, intimidated, or have taken on someone else's beef with me and don't want me to continue in any capacity. But then I look up from the mic and I see a heavy metal haven, and I know that our fans, and it is nice to say "we" and "our" again, are waiting in anticipation.

I start to sing and the lip curls up, its time to get down and don't ever look back. Old Megadeth took the stage that night and New Megadeth seized it at that first note. Glen and James are working the crowd hard and the frigging cameramen are everywhere; eleven cameras for the DVD shoot and a dozen more for the broadcast. The tempos are perfect we are all level on stage volume-wise and now we are on auto-pilot for the rest of the night. I have said it before and I will say it again, playing with these guys is like magic. You can just sense it when you are present.

I end "Blackmail" and continue through the first six-song set non-stop, relentlessly dishing out songs and I know that the fans are waiting for me to say something, anything!

I go to my tech and change guitars and walk back out and after the cheering obviously will not subside, I interrupt them and say, "Beinvenidos a la casa de Megadeth," which means welcome to the house of Megadeth. I start "Die Dead Enough" and after go directly into "She-Wolf." As of yet we have not gone out on the ramp to the second stage out in the audience, but now for the end solo of "SW" I go out, and it is electric. I can't hear my in-ear monitors because of the singing of the solo, and thank God Glen came out as we planned and started the harmony, so by way of the inverse square rule, the volume went up for the unison solo. I think a lot of people just wanted to see if Glen was the real deal, which I know and would not have picked him if he wasn't.

She Wolf ends; we go back to the stage to start "Reckoning Day," and time is flying by for the next few moments until Glen and I go back out to the ramp to do "A Tout Le Monde." By now I have control of the audience completely, not that they would ever be rude or disrespectful, since they love us so much, and it was soon after that after the next six-song set, once returning to the stage that I said I was going to be making an announcement whether or not Megs was going to be going on or not.

Set number three starts and I am constantly thinking about what a train wreck "I'll Be There" will be if not done at the correct speed and with intense crowd participation. I think of this throughout the next three songs. So here we are at the fork in the road; one of the two new songs we are unleashing on our Argentine friends. I say, "I need your help," and sing the melody at the end, we start the song, and I could feel the bones grinding in my spine to make me stand even taller than I am after hearing the response of the first verse and chorus. They would not stop singing after the song ended. I guess they liked it.

Nothing is going to stop me now. Oh, yeah, there is that acoustic version of "Coming Home" that Glen is going to play and I am just going to sing alone for the whole song. And unlike "A Tout Le Monde" where the rhythm guitars come in to save me, this song is just me and Glen and one acoustic; his. Fortunately for me, I have one more trick up my sleeve; to sing "Trust" in Spanish. And I mean only the double chorus after the guitar solo. The drums start and everyone is pogoing up and down. I put on my new ESP double-neck guitar and it dawns on me that if the background tape for the English version is played, I will not be able to do this.

You see, there is a lot of background stuff going on you probably won't hear, but we work on relentlessly to bring you the very best sound possible. In fact, that is what Lance Dean does. He runs sound effects for over a dozen songs from backstage. But it ain't stuff like singing; it is stuff like the drawer slamming in "Skin" or the monks in "Angry", etc. when the moment arrives and I realize that my guys rarely ever, if not never have glitches like this, the tape is correct and I did my part, the song ended, and there was a new found connection between every Spanish speaking fan tuned in from around the world or in attendance that night that didn't know I can sing in Spanish.

"Something I'm Not" worked well, as did "Kick The Chair," but I honestly don't think the fans knew what we were going to do with an acoustic out on the platform in the audience. I said before we started that I will give my answer after this song, and that I was changing the words from "Coming Home to Arizona" which I love Arizona and always will, to "Coming Home to Argentina." I was concerned of my voice not being able to hold out after all the non-stop singing, and the high pitched songs like, "Skin," Train," "Reckoning," and a few others that require really letting go. I can't really remember how I did, but I know after each chorus there were staggering cheers.

After the song I said, "I told you I would give you my answer. The answer is," and I waited a few beats because I guess I really didn't believe I was going to try this again for how ever many years it goes, I said again, "The answer is yes!" I turned on my heels and very matter of factly, went into their favorite song, "Symphony of Destruction." At that moment my manager John Dee, who I instructed to send an email to Tim Henderson of Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles the second I said it, he hit send. We were officially a band, and have given our first press acknowledgement to a friend of the Drovers and a supporter of me for years. I wanted to do this for him.

There was not much of a ceiling left to raise at this point and we marched like gladiators until the last note of "Peace Sells," to which I was told we were nearing the curfew. So we had to drop "Hook in Mouth" because of the police, and went straight into "Holy Wars." What a masterful way to finish the night of my life! We all set our instruments down and grabbed as many souvenirs as we could of picks and sticks and all of us went out to the platform to say thanks. I may have looked tough on the outside, but I was bawling on the inside for this momentous night as we walked back to the stage clutched each others hands and raised them high.

The night was now over and I said my customary, "You've been Great! We've been Megadeth," as I threw out my sweatbands. You see, you have been great; all of you. From the first tour with Exodus, to the European tour with Diamond Head, to the Japanese tour, to the Oz tour with Dungeon, to the run of Euro festivals and into the middle eastern area, to Gigantour, to South America. I choose this night to say what I needed to say because I knew while I was going to put on my best, feeling my worst, that you were all here with me. You are always here with me, and now that we have a band together again, you are here with us. You gave me back my career and I have returned the favor. And thankfully there is more of that to come.

I love you more than you will ever know. And now to be the best Daddy and Husband I can be again, until Gigantour 2.

Love and Bruises!!!

MEGADETH.com
Old 11-07-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nov 4 2005

Droogies and She-Wolves!

I am one week away from starting the actual tracking process of the next records pre-production, and have quite a lot of other projects (some super Top Secret) to keep me busy in the mean time. Next week I have a few trips up the coast to review the Gigantour DVD that is in progress, as well as meet with EMI... I also have my coveted Argentina Live CD to review.

We should find out some time this month who some of our confirmed acts are going to be for Gigantour 2006, as well as where we are going outside of the US and Canada. No rest for the wicked!

Love my Droogs, love my She-Wolves, have a steenkin' great weekend!!!

MSGD!

MEGADETH.com
Old 11-07-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess he had a lot of material already written. This is definitely good news. Hopefully all the DVDs and Tours don't slow down the recording process.
Old 11-12-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It does seem odd that they would do a acustic show, but that's what money does to people. As soon as I heard acustic I was completely turned off and still am. It's like Motorhead going acustic ( they haven't also, have they? )
Old 11-12-05, 10:26 AM

It's like Motorhead going acustic ( they haven't also, have they? )
Saw them in concert last fall and they did one acustic song. Cant remember what song it was though.
Old 11-23-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nov 19 2005

Droogies and She-Wolves!

I am doing the weirdest thing right now. I am listening to the rough mixes of TWNAH and I forgot how good DiGrasso and Pitrelli were, especially Al' mandolin performance, because I held back from listening due to the way things ended. My loss.

Oh, well. . . .

I also found and old demo song from the CW sessions that I didn't record. I am wondering if I should show this to the guys. Either way, I fired up my Pro-Tools rig yesterday, and even though it didn't work and the rep was rude when I called him, I am starting next week. I actually played guitar for the first time today since Puerto Rico because my hands were so sore. And I'm still listening to a lot of old stuff, as well as a song that the Drover's sent yesterday. Not bad in my opinion.

Have a really good or really shitty day. Yer choice, huh?
MSGD!

[MEGADETH.com]
Old 02-13-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While preparing songs for a potential new record, Dave Mustaine states that Megadeth has parted ways with bassist Jimmy MacDonough and hired James LoMenzo on Feb. 10, 2006.

"I want to thank Jimmy for everything and wish him the best in his future endeavors. He is knowledgable, and a good enough bassist to run his own outfit and I look forward to what he does musically."

Mustaine also mentions, "It was recommeded I check out James LoMenzo by a friend, because I was uncertain which direction I wanted to take with the bassist, prior to starting the next record and everything just clicked."

LoMenza (formerly with Black Label Society, David Lee Roth, etc.) will play the Dubai Desert Rock Festival with Megadeth on March 16th, 2006.

MEGADETH.com
Old 04-09-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

for complete interview: http://www.rockdetector.com/intervie...,5744.sm?id=91

on new album:

It's really exciting to hear there's a new MEGADETH album on the horizon. What stage are you at with it?

"Well, we're still working on developing the songs. We don't leave until the middle of the month to start working on it. We go into the studio on the 19th of April."

Are you writing all of the material for this album or are the other guys contributing as well?

"So far I have. I mean, there's one song that has some stuff from the Drover's that I'm looking at. So far 11 of those songs on the record have been started and one of those has something from them. But I also had told James Lomenzo that if he wanted to submit some stuff during the song writing process that you know, I'm cool with that. So we're going to have some really interesting stuff going on with these guys because they're all really good players."

On David Ellefson:

When James MacDonough parted ways with MEGADETH there were of course rumours that David Ellefson would return to play in the band. Do you think there is any chance of that ever happening?

"No, never."

David and yourself were in MEGADETH since the very beginning. Do you miss having him in the band even though things went bad in the end?

"Well, you know what? I have talked to him since the break-up. And of course remember he sued me. And I tried talking to him after that to see if there was anything left there and it was just too foreign. You know, I had said something to him about doing something with MEGADETH and although as preposterous as that seems after having somebody drag your name through the mud in a public arena where literally millions around the entire globe saw all this stuff, it was really hard for me to go back to him and say, 'Hey you know what? Do you want a second chance?' But, um that's not really what happened. I just kind of wanted to extend an olive branch and just say, 'You know what? No hard feelings, you spent a lot of money to try and sue me and you lost, and Im sorry for that'."

Were you really disappointed that all of this happened with David especially after he'd been a loyal band member since the start?

"Yeah, people do things and then they look back and they soon realise that it was a mistake. And he told me that he realised it was a mistake. And you know what? He was like a little brother to me so I'm over it."

ROCKDETECTOR.com
Old 04-18-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The band has been doing some songwriting. Do you have a timetable for the next Megadeth studio album?
We start tracking on April 19th in England. Jeff Balding is going to work with me in producing. We're going to take a different approach to this record. I'm not going to say any more than that. I know what we're capable of doing. The System Has Failed was a great comeback record, and I think this is going to continue claiming new fans and reintroducing ourselves to some old fans who may have gone to listening to other music.

Will there be a Gigantour 2 this summer?
Yes. We've already started confirming some of our acts and working out what the routing is for the festival, like the dates and times and how many groups we're going to have. We actually started discussing this two days after Gigantour 1 ended. The announcements will come within the next month or so. The festival will probably be the end of August through the beginning of October.

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/inter...vemustaine.htm
Old 04-20-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

April 19th:
Megadeth begins recording new album in the UK!
The band started work in a studio outside of London
today with Producer Jeff Balding. Recording is planned
to go on over the next two weeks with Director Michael
Sarna (Of Mice And Men video) filming the process.
Exclusive clips will be available to FanClub members.
This is to be Megadeth's 11th studio album to date!

MEGADETH.com
Old 05-06-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

May 2nd:
Megadeth finishes up recording in the UK! The band
departs from London tomorrow after spending the last
two weeks at SARM Recording Studios just outside of
London working on the next Megadeth record!

MEGADETH.com
Old 05-08-06, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SHAWN DROVER has posted a message on the Forums
"At this point I will reveal that all drum and bass tracks
are completed for the new Megadeth record, as well as
Glen finishing up 4 guitar tracks..."

MEGADETH.com
Old 05-15-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For Immediate Release
May 15, 2006

ROADRUNNER RECORDS SIGNS MEGADETH

New York , NY - Roadrunner Records is proud to announce the signing of Megadeth. Already known as one of rock's most forward-thinking bands, Megadeth and its frontman Dave Mustaine have cast a long shadow on the metal and hard rock landscape with millions of records sold worldwide and an undeniable influence echoed in scores of young bands today.

"We are proud to be working with one of the chief architects of modern hard rock and metal: Dave Mustaine. Megadeth and Roadrunner have led parallel careers on the cutting edge of metal for years now. The combination of the two is bound to be lethal," says A&R man, Mike Gitter.

Mustaine says of his new home "It is exciting to be some place you are respected, understood and appreciated. The truth is there's a lot of people I've known there over the years. I'm stoked we're all coming back together again to work on this project."

Megadeth has begun work on its as-yet-untitled Roadrunner debut under the watchful eye of Mustaine and co-producer Jeff Balding (who helmed 2004's The System Has Failed) .

Mustaine is presently finalizing the lineup for Megadeth's Gigantour 2 festival tour of the US .

MEGADETH.com

Good choice!
Old 05-24-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

May 24th:
Glen Drover prepares for soloing on new album
"I have been working hard on getting myself in shape for
the upcoming solo fest on the new album. Dave is now
recording his rythm guitar tracks in LA, so it should
be a few more weeks before I start my process."

MEGADETH.com
Old 05-31-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dave Mustaine spoke to BW&BK recently regarding the band's as-yet-untitled new album, due out through Roadrunner Records later this year.

The band recently returned from SARM Recording Studios just outside of London, England, where Mustaine is working with co-producer Jeff Balding, who helmed 2004's The System Has Failed .

Said Dave, "We rented John Bonham's (Led Zeppelin) drum kit for Shawn and he was beside himself. He went to England as a young man and came back a seasoned veteran because the way he is playing, I didn't know he had that talent. I knew he had a gift. He even surpassed my wildest dreams for what drums should sound like on a Megadeth record. It's really rewarding to go through all the extent that we did and the difficulty to make everything happen because I believe sonically what we've got down right now is probably some of the heaviest bass (courtesy of James Lomenzo) and drum sounding tracks that we've had in a really long time. As far as the speed and the tempo or anything like that, that's up to other people to listen to and see if they like it or not. Tone-wise what we have right now is really cool."

When asked if all the drums and bass parts were completed, he continued: "Yes. Glenn has four songs done. I just started my overdubs on Monday (May 22nd) and I'm doubling my tracks so I'm about four songs into it. The record consists of twelve songs - 11 for an American release and 12 for Japan. Unless Roadrunner adds an additional track from something previously and puts out all 12 tracks around the world, which I think would be cool. I'd like to see all 12 tracks go around the world and give Japan a live track or something."

As for early song titles, Megadave could only say, "You know me, these song titles change everyday! And I won't know the record title until I've committed to the damn artwork."

MEGADETH.com
Old 06-26-06, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

June 20th:
Glen Drover heads off to California to lay down solos
for the new Megadeth record. "This is going to be fun
stuff. I dont like to be overprepared though, as I like
to let some of the solos be spontanious..."

MEGADETH.com
Old 07-03-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dave Mustaine - "I Really Think The Heavy Metal Community Needs Bands Like MEGADETH"

In a recent chat with BW&BK, MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine talks about the direction of the band's as-yet-untitled forthcoming album, that's due through Roadrunner on Halloween - October 31st. Says Mustaine: "It will be the music that I want to write and play because there is no longer any outside pressure from people to write music that will provide income for them, whether it's management or other band members and stuff. I'm feeling good, I'm in a zone. I don't want to say I'm playing really well ... I'm getting my work done and it's effortless so... It hasn't been quite as hard as the last couple of records have been because even though the songs were turning to form, there are some things that I picked up along the way. I'm proud of how I learned to do vocal melodies with this music genre because there is not a lot of people who play music like this who have vocal melodies and take the time to think about guitar solos. That matters to me. Maybe I'm from a bygone era. I really think the heavy metal community needs bands like Megadeth."

As previously reported, Mustaine is currently working with co-producer Jeff Balding, who helmed 2004's The System Has Failed. The band, completed by guitarist Glen Drover, drummer Shawn Drover and bassist James Lomenzo recently returned from SARM Recording Studios just outside of London, England and are currently recording in Los Angeles, CA.

BRAVEWORDS.com

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.