DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New Public Enemy CD (Best Buy exclusive) anyone heard it?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/440973-new-public-enemy-cd-best-buy-exclusive-anyone-heard.html)

megashock5 10-10-05 09:15 AM

New Public Enemy CD (Best Buy exclusive) anyone heard it??

Sorry if this has been posted, but I searched and didn't see anything.

I was surprised when I saw a new PE album in Best Buy's ad in the Sunday paper yesterday. It's called 'New Whirl Odor' and it said it was only available at BB.

I'm a big fan, I have all of the previous CDs, but I can't find any info online about this new one. Has anyone heard it or know where there are some clips I can check out before buying it? There aren't any on BB's site.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

DJLinus 10-10-05 09:31 AM

I saw this and am curious about it, too. PE's output has been spotty as of late (not that the albums are bad, just not at the level of their early classics), so I'd like to have a lot of info - and give it a listen - before I open my wallet.

Dan G 10-10-05 10:45 AM

I bought it. They've always been one of my favorite groups. I enjoyed it a lot.

dadaluholla 10-10-05 01:47 PM

I was a HUGE fan of PE up until Muse Sick N Hour Mess Age (and everything after that). I heard one of their new tracks produced by Paris and it was complete garbage. the beat didn't go with Chuck's style at all.

Fielding Mellish 10-10-05 01:56 PM

A Best Buy exclusive?

"Fight The Power", indeed...

megashock5 10-12-05 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
A Best Buy exclusive?

"Fight The Power", indeed...

Hehe, that's what I thought too.

Upon further investigation it looks like it's a BB exclusive until 11/1, then other retailers get it. Still would like to hear some stuff first. I've kept up with them to this point, but I don't find myself listening to the anything after 'He Got Game' very much at all.

Daryl 10-12-05 01:15 PM

hiphopsite.com has some info on some other upcoming PE stuff. The DVD, the "Nation.." and "Fear..." reissues, and a boxed set has me :drool:

Public Enemy is making sure their name stays in the spotlight over the next year or two, with a media asassination of a rumored *18* projects, from new albums to DVD's to classic reissues to comic books. All of these releases are on a tentative release schedule, with several different labels and distributors involved. Dust off your P.E. t-shirt and get ready, P.E. is back in effect, boyee.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE AND THE BEATS CD: This is the new "greatest hits" album which was recently released by Universal, collecting many of Public Enemy's singles and top hits from Yo Bum Rush The Show to He Got Game. A good starting point for newbies.

NEW WHIRL ODOR CD: This is P.E.'s new studio LP, released on Chuck D's own Slam Jamz imprint, via Redeye Distribution. The album drops October 25th

REBIRTH OF A NATION CD: The title of the LP is derived from "Birth of a Nation", the first American film ever made, which portrayed the KKK as heroes. The title also represents a throwback to PE's second LP, "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back". The album was to be released earlier this year on Paris' Guerilla Funk Recordings via Caroline Distribution. Guests on the LP include Paris, MC Ren, Kam, Dead Prez, Conscious Daughters. Advance promo copies of the album were sent out, however the LP got delayed and is currently on hold, rumored to be tied up some legal nonsense. More news on this, as it develops.

IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK: SOUL OF A NATION EDITION 2CD: This will be the first of two classic PE reissues (what, no Bum Rush The Show?!?!), which will revisit arguably the greatest hip-hop album ever released, and will come with a second disc featuring rejected mixes, outtakes, bonus tracks, remixes, from the recording sessions, all wrapped up in elaborate packaging, with extensive liner notes documenting the release. Def Jam/Universal, early 2006.

FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET: AFRAID OF THE DARK EDITION 2CD: This deluxe 2CD reissue of Public Enemy's third LP, which like the ITANOMTHUB reissue, will include a bonus disc of select outtakes, b-sides, remixes, deleted songs, etc from the "Fear Of A Black Planet" recording sessions. Summer 2006 release.

THE BEST OF P.E. TV DVD: Remember all of those classic Public Enemy videocassettes? This two DVD set will include the first three classic VHS titles "Fight The Power Live", "Tour Of A Black Planet", and "The Enemy Strikes Live", as well as the previously unreleased "What Side You On" video, which was supposed to be released in 1994. "What Side You On" will include new footage, documenting P.E. from 1995-2006. Summer 2006.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE AND THE VIDEOS DVD: This apparently is a DVD companion piece to "Power To The People and The Beats", which will include all of the classic Public Enemy videos from the Def Jam era. No word if this has been cancelled or put on hold in exchange for the DVD set mentioned above.

PUBLIC ENEMY COMIC BOOK: Created by Chuck D and former Marvel Comics intern Adam Wallenta, the comic book will be released by American Mule Entertainment. The politically charged comic book will portray P.E. as the rap superheroes they are, delvining into various social and political issues. The comic will be polybagged with a Public Enemy sampler CD, featuring new music from the Slam Jamz label. The comic will debut at the 2006 San Diego Comic Con.

PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE: STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF OUR ANTHOLOGY BOX SET: This as of yet undetermined box set will include five or six discs, however no word on what discs will be included. The box set will also include exclusive material, such as b-sides, remixes, alternate takes, etc.

These are just the hightlights. Several other projects collecting live material, b-sides, and even a compilation of songs PE have sampled have been suggested by Chuck on the Public Enemy message board.

megashock5 10-13-05 02:10 PM

Boy, I wish we knew if the bonus material on the deluxe re-issues has any overlap with the box set.

darqleo 10-18-05 05:37 PM

I wasn't going to do it, but I was at Best Buy anyway, picking up the new Depeche Mode CD (which is great BTW), and I saw the new PE album for $9.99 and bought it because I was curious to what it sounded like.

I was a fan of rap music back in high school (really late 80's), P.E. being my favorite, I even saw them in concert twice.

Nowadays I don't listen to any rap, but I still have my PE albums. I even enjoyed the hell out of There's A Poison Goin' On, it was raw, heavy and Chuck D was the angriest he's ever been.

But this album.... well, it sucks. I'm probably being harsh as I've only listened to it once, but not one song stands out and, what's worse, is that 1/2 of the songs re-use past samples and even samples of past songs. Chuck D isn't that angry and he doesn't cuss once, not that that matters, heh. But it's cool that they are still sticking to that more 80's rap sound.

Eh, I'll probably give it a couple of more spins, but more than likely it's going to go in my pile of CDs for store credit at the local used CD store.

Dan G 10-19-05 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by darqleo
Chuck D isn't that angry and he doesn't cuss once, not that that matters, heh.

Actually he does.

MBoyd 12-31-08 01:20 AM

Sorry for the bump. I found this old thread searching for Comic-Con threads. What ever happened to these releases Daryl posted 3 years ago.

IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK: SOUL OF A NATION EDITION 2CD: This will be the first of two classic PE reissues (what, no Bum Rush The Show?!?!), which will revisit arguably the greatest hip-hop album ever released, and will come with a second disc featuring rejected mixes, outtakes, bonus tracks, remixes, from the recording sessions, all wrapped up in elaborate packaging, with extensive liner notes documenting the release. Def Jam/Universal, early 2006.

FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET: AFRAID OF THE DARK EDITION 2CD: This deluxe 2CD reissue of Public Enemy's third LP, which like the ITANOMTHUB reissue, will include a bonus disc of select outtakes, b-sides, remixes, deleted songs, etc from the "Fear Of A Black Planet" recording sessions. Summer 2006 release.
I think I heard Chuck say the box set wasn't happening for quite a while. I suppose that has something to do with those two releases not appearing as well.

NoirFan 12-31-08 05:31 PM

I'd love an expanded Nation disc. The 12" version of "Night of the Living Baseheads" is great.