Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Albums you didn't care for at first, but ended up LOVING

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-05-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The first classic example for me would be The Stone's Exile on Main St.. About 20 years ago I kept hearing and reading what a great rock album it was, and even though I wasn't a big Stones fan, I picked it up (double vinyl) and gave it a spin. Meh... was my first impression, but after a couple years, when I started driving and was able to listen to it in my car repeatedly, I grew to absolutely love everything about the album - it's quite possibly the greatest rock album ever made. Individually the songs are okay, but taken together as an album, they create a perfect mix of almost every rock-and-roll style, while still remaining cohesive. This album does not get old.

A more recent example is Spoon's Gimme Fiction. Like Exile, I was told repeatedly that I would love this album, so I picked it up and after a couple of listens I just got bored of it - seemed very monotonous to me. I don't know why or what happened, but I kept trying to like it, and it totally grew on me and now I can't stop listening to it. The album kinda peters out at the end and isn't too consistent, but it's still one of the best rock records of the year.
Old 10-05-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't really like Def Leppard's Slang at first because it had a different sound for them but I grew to really like it. I guess they lost some fans with it though and went back to their old sound on Euphoria.
Old 10-05-05, 01:07 PM

Pink Floyd's The Final Cut
Old 10-05-05, 01:14 PM

I'd have to say Idlewild's 100 Broken Windows. Really couldn't get into it at first. Then I brought it with me when I was driving home from college one weekend and listened to it twice. Now they're my second favorite band. Who knew?
Old 10-05-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Exile was one of those for me too!

Also Soul Asylum's "While You Were Out".
Old 10-05-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

peter gabriel - 3
devo - duty now for the future
Old 10-05-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interpol - Turn on the bright lights

Wasn't feeling too much at first....
Now one of my favorite albums ever.
Old 10-05-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-05-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bjork: Medulla
Old 10-05-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Interpol - Turn on the bright lights

Wasn't feeling too much at first....
Now one of my favorite albums ever.

This one goes for me too. I still think the lyrics in a couple of the songs are some of the worst in history ("Her stories are boring and stuff..." And stuff? ), but there's just something about that album that hooks me and lets me look past all that.

Wilco - A Ghost is Born is another one that really took some getting used to, but now it's one of my absolute favorite albums. It hasn't left my CD changer in many months.

Last edited by lopper; 10-06-05 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-05-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aerosmith's "Nine Lives" was a guilty pleasure of mine. I was never a big fan of 1990's Aerosmith -- you know from the big brass music to the obnoxious Steven Tyler. But this album grows on you and it's def. up there with one of my favorite albums of all time -- no it's not Rubber Soul/Abbey Road great, it's just a lot of fun and good music.
Old 10-05-05, 05:49 PM

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come.
this was a very difficult record for me. Took me two + years of "well, maybe I'll give it another shot today" before I finally got it. Now, it might be my top record ever.
Old 10-05-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
The first classic example for me would be The Stone's Exile on Main St.. About 20 years ago I kept hearing and reading what a great rock album it was, and even though I wasn't a big Stones fan, I picked it up (double vinyl) and gave it a spin. Meh... was my first impression, but after a couple years, when I started driving and was able to listen to it in my car repeatedly, I grew to absolutely love everything about the album - it's quite possibly the greatest rock album ever made. Individually the songs are okay, but taken together as an album, they create a perfect mix of almost every rock-and-roll style, while still remaining cohesive. This album does not get old.

A more recent example is Spoon's Gimme Fiction. Like Exile, I was told repeatedly that I would love this album, so I picked it up and after a couple of listens I just got bored of it - seemed very monotonous to me. I don't know why or what happened, but I kept trying to like it, and it totally grew on me and now I can't stop listening to it. The album kinda peters out at the end and isn't too consistent, but it's still one of the best rock records of the year.
I'd have to go with the latest Spoon album, too. A friend of mine would play it at work all the time, and while It didn't do anything for me at first, it just grew on me with repeated lsitenings. Enough so, that I went back and picked up their prior 3 albums, too. I can't believe I misssed out on Girls Can Tell back in 2001 - that may be my favorite of thier's.
Old 10-05-05, 08:12 PM

Temple of Low Men - Crowded House
Brave and Crazy - Melissa Etheridge
Old 10-05-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by david12
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come.
this was a very difficult record for me. Took me two + years of "well, maybe I'll give it another shot today" before I finally got it. Now, it might be my top record ever.
I saw their video for "New Noise" on M2 several years ago and I didn't think much of them but they grew on me too. I bought their album last year -- pity I did not purchase it sooner. "Can I scream?!"

Flotsam and Jetsam's Drift was a bit of departure from the thrash they usually played but I learned to appreciate the direction they went with on this album.
Old 10-05-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me it was Lewis Taylor's eponymous debut. A friend of mine kept telling me I should check it out, it was the greatest thing since sex, etc. but never actually played the darn thing for me.
Then when the followup, Lewis II came out in 2000, I got a copy and wasw bumping it nonstop for months and finally made my friend lend me Lewis I.
Even though I'd been digging the second album, I was kind of like "what the shit is this?" The wall of sound production and unconventional songcraft (not many people expect blazing guitar solos in their R&B) made it really dense listening at first. Only one track, Whoever, grabbed me right away and made me keep coming back to the album (I used to skip over the first two tracks when I was listening to it). But as I got acclimatized to it, it grew on me and got better each time I listened to it.
Five years later, and it's my second favourite album (and he's my favourite artist) of all time!
Old 10-06-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Many of my favorites start out that way.

Two that stand out from my youth were Sex Pistols "Bollocks" album and the Talking Heads "More songs..."

Both I hated after a listen or two but I went back and listened a few weeks later and it just clicked and I loved it.
Old 10-06-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One album springs to mind:

I guess I wasn't mature enough back in the early '80s. I thought it was too sparse and depressing to like. Now while it still isn't exactly a pick-me-up, I can recognize what a masterpiece it is and find it absolutely thrilling.
Old 10-06-05, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Pixies - Trompe le Monde

It took me about 6 months to listen to it a second time when it came out, then it got me.
Old 10-06-05, 03:54 AM

Weezer - Pinkerton. I loved the blue album, and thought Pinkerton was a wreck the first few times I heard it. I had it shelved for about a year before I really got into it. Great album.
Old 10-06-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Radiohead, "Pablo Honey" - Like every other living, breathing teenager, I bought this for "Creep" but didn't much like the rest of the album. Even after falling in love with their later discs, I couldn't quite get into it. It's gradually become a favorite over the years, though---even though the production isn't that great, there's some excellent songs on there.
Old 01-23-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For me currently its the latest Dream theater album, "octavium" The songs have really grown on me. the previous album was all about a heavy metal type sound, but this album has a slower pace to it. The last two songs even have a full on string section, which i don't belive is Ruddess on the keys.
Old 01-23-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

Took easily a dozen listens before it sunk it, and sunk in deep. Amazing.
Old 01-23-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only one that comes immediately to mind is Yo La Tengo's Fakebook.
Old 01-23-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ryan Adams' "lloR N kcoR"

Having adored Ryan's tear-stained alt-country balladeering up to that point, the seemingly generic "rawk" of "lloR N kcoR," with very blunt, nearly imageless lyrics just turned me off. Then, little by little, I started to "get" it and gradually got over my earlier disappointment. These are the boozy late-set "rawkers" that Ryan lets loose on, improvising like mad, live, on-stage. This particular album is just a blueprint for what emerges when you see him in person.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.