Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Broken Social Scene thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Broken Social Scene thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by theneobez
Saw these guys live tonight. . .

Go see them, please, if you can. You will not regret it. I haven't been to a truckload of concerts but this was definitely the best. I was able to shake hands with 2 guitarists, they were down to earth and awesome.
I have tix to see them Thursday at The Majestic in Detroit.

Question: Tix say 7:00 pm. Is there an opening band? What time do BSS go on? I want to go out to dinner before the concert so I'm just trying to get an idea on the timeframe.
Old 10-26-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feist opened for BSS here in Philly (started at 8), and she later came on to sing some songs with them. If it says 7 p.m., I would think Feist will probably be playing at 7:05 for 40 minutes - 1 hour, then 15 -25 minutes or so of setup for BSS before they hit the stage. That's kinda how it went here.
Old 10-26-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Feist opened for BSS here in Philly (started at 8), and she later came on to sing some songs with them. If it says 7 p.m., I would think Feist will probably be playing at 7:05 for 40 minutes - 1 hour, then 15 -25 minutes or so of setup for BSS before they hit the stage. That's kinda how it went here.
Awesome. Thanks!

Feist is also opening the show here. I'll probably try to get there by 8pm.
Old 10-28-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw these guys live tonight. . .

Go see them, please, if you can. You will not regret it. I haven't been to a truckload of concerts but this was definitely the best. I was able to shake hands with 2 guitarists, they were down to earth and awesome.
Saw these guys last night in Detroit...

Pretty horrible concert. Really, really bad sound. All the female vocals (and some of the male vocals) sounded like robots. About two songs in, the mics started to screech horribly. I mean, like, everyone holding their ears horrible. They "fixed" it and started playing "fire eyed boy" and about a minute in....

SCREEEEEEECH! SCRREEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!!!!!!!!!!!

Horrible, horrible screeching. The band jammed through it though and then announced they would take a break and try to fix the audio problems.

The singer came out and talked to the crowd for about 25 minutes answering questions (Do you like radiohead? Can I jam with you guys? :sigh: ). One girl asked him if he would strip and, next thing you know, he was down to his boxers.

Finally, they returned to the stage and played for about two and a half hours. The audio still sucked but at least it was free of fingernails on the blackboard screeching. They had a violin player playing all night but I never heard the instrument once it was so far back in the mix. They skipped the encore (well, at least the part where they walk backstage and then come back) and finished strong. During the last song, the lead singer once again stripped down to his boxers and jammed out. By that time, everybody was ready to get out of there.

All that aside, the tracks from their newest album sounded pretty good as did some of their old stuff off of 'You Forgot It In People'. These guys showed moments of brilliance but it was one of those nights where they just couldn't win.

Last edited by auto; 10-29-05 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-23-05, 01:07 AM

Just discovered these guys and am completely amazed at how good it sounds.
Old 12-24-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

although i said wolfe parade was my favorite of the year...this one has had the most play. i was addicted to wolfe parade but i have since gotten a bit tired of listening...still not tired of this album. BSS is wonderful!
Old 12-24-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More like Boring Social Scene. Ha! I should win the official music thread crap king award. No, the record isn't that bad but there are better things out there.
Old 12-26-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw them 2 days after the forementioned Detroit show and they were great. It's cool to see all 11(?) members on stage at the same time. They sounded great that night. I spun the new album a few times this weekend and still would rank it below You Forgot It In People.
Old 12-29-05, 11:29 PM

I adore the new record. From start to finish I like it better than YFIIP, though the latter has a couple of unmatchable highlights...

I saw them in LA, and it was probably the best live show I saw this year.
Old 12-30-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Great album - I'll be listening to it again. Wolf Parade takes the cake as #1 Band From Canada With a Record Released After the Summer Solstice, but they come in with the #1 Band From Canada With a Record Released After the Summer Solstice Jr. award.
Old 06-30-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broken Social Scene on Letterman: What Song?

As the title asks:

what song did Broken Social Scene play when they guested on Letterman (last night)?

Thanks!
-ringding-
Old 06-30-06, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it was Fire Eye'd Boy
Old 03-31-17, 07:13 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
re: Broken Social Scene thread

New song after 7 year absence.

Emily Haines.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c3eq-LlO20E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="788" height="484" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6JtdYQtIhdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 03-31-17 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-31-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Stopped reading after "From Pitchfork"
Damn this is an old ass thread!
Old 03-31-17, 10:50 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Never heard of this group before. Was Emily Haines originally part of this band?
Old 03-31-17, 11:29 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Never heard of this group before. Was Emily Haines originally part of this band?
Yes. As was Feist. They're a Canadian collective, so members rotate.
Old 03-31-17, 11:31 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

She wasn't on all of the albums, but about half of them I think. She toured with the band in 2002.
Old 03-31-17, 11:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Broken Social Scene thread

Originally Posted by dex14
Yes. As was Feist. They're a Canadian collective, so members rotate.
That's cool. I'll have to check out some of their stuff.