Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Depeche Mode's "Playing the Angel" : Brilliant!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Depeche Mode's "Playing the Angel" : Brilliant!

Old 10-31-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, just bought some tix for DM this Saturday night in Atlanta. Wife really wants to go. I have such low expecations that I'll probably enjoy it.
Old 11-01-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got all excited when I thought that "John the Revelator" was a cover of the old blues/spiritual. That would have been awesome. Still, it's certainly a reference and the clip I've heard sounds interesting.
Old 11-01-05, 02:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The booklet says the song was influenced by the old spiritual.

I've been listening to this a lot, and I just feel that the melodies on some of the songs are underdeveloped. But the best songs on there (especially the first two tracks) are classic. As an album, though, I prefer Exciter.
Old 11-02-05, 11:03 PM

7 trumpets 7 angels and all on the morning train.
I have now listen to this cd about 18 times it right has my vote for BEST CD OF 2005.
Old 11-03-05, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
DM fans, I finally heard the new album in it's entirety today and I was absolutely blown away. It is absolutely brilliant. The production quality is right up their with "Music for the Masses" and "Violator". They are back with a full on electronic album. This is NOT organic at all like "Exciter". This has enormous melodies, vocals and hooks. And so many potential singles. This could be their best album ever. Look forward to hearing your thoughts too.
I've spent some time with the CD and my opinion has taken a turn for the worse.

After reading this glowing review with the promise of potential singles and a comparison to Violator, and after hearing "Precious" on the season premier of Smallville, I had high hopes for Playing the Angel. I bought the CD/DVD edition, and I'm very happy to have the album in 5.1 DTS and to have the excellent "Precious" video. Unfortunately, I only like "John The Revelator," "Precious," "Nothing's Impossible," and "Damaged People." The others don't have catchy melodies and catchy melodies are what I've always appreciated about Depeche Mode and their dark image.
Old 11-03-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
I got all excited when I thought that "John the Revelator" was a cover of the old blues/spiritual. That would have been awesome. Still, it's certainly a reference and the clip I've heard sounds interesting.
Martin Gore in the latest issue of Keyboard magazine:

"I've been listening a great deal to a six-CD set of traditional gospel music called Goodbye Babylon, which is just phenomenal. 'John the Revelator' is a heavily re-interpreted old gospel tune about the author of the Book of Revelation, but our lyrical take on it is, 'Armageddon? Gee, thanks.'"

I'm a _diehard_ nine inch nails fan and this gets my vote for album of the year as well. I love it. I'd like to see them in san jose this month, but the high ticket prices + arena show mean I won't be going. The setlist they've been doing looks great though:

Spoiler:

Intro
A Pain That I'm Used To
John The Revelator
A Question Of Time
Policy Of Truth
Precious
Walking In My Shoes
Suffer Well
Damaged People
Home
I Want It All
The Sinner In Me
I Feel You
Behind The Wheel
World In My Eyes
Personal Jesus
---
Enjoy The Silence

Last edited by Matt925; 11-03-05 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-03-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshua B
The others don't have catchy melodies and catchy melodies are what I've always appreciated about Depeche Mode and their dark image.
Suffer Well and Lilian don't have catchy melodies?
Old 11-04-05, 01:59 PM

I just received Exciter from Amazon.com, completing my collection of newer stuff. I had previously stopped collecting since Violator, but since I'm working on a Martin Gore mix, I filled all the holes.

On first listen, I like it. On second listen there are quite a few songs I'm really going to enjoy playing over and over.

Dream On (Hey, this is two-step!)
Freelove
Comatose
Goodnight Lovers
I Feel Loved
Breathe
I am You

The Dead of Night is probably perfect for horror movie fans. ;-)

It's funny, from everything I've read online from DM fans, I thought Exciter was easily the worst album in their catalog. With all due respect to all those DM fans, personally I find Exciter to contain more songs with better melodies and arrangements than Playing the Angel. I really like the album!

It's GREAT to be dark and sometimes dissonant, but to really enjoy a song, *I* still need a good melody. Aside from four songs on Playing the Angel, I'll be listening to a lot more of Exciter in the coming months and years. Like Violator and Music for the Masses, their isn't one song on Exciter that I can't find *something* catchy about, where as on Playing the Angel, some songs I'm like, "Where is the good DM melody to follow and enjoy?"
Old 11-06-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw 'em last night for the first time here in Atlanta and it was an enjoyable show. The Bravery opened and they really suck. Out of all the "fashionable" new bands they might be my least favorite... on record and live. Awful/boring vocals.

When DM was on they were ON. So many great songs. I had no idea that Dave was such a spaz on stage. Twirling around and doing a little Flashdance tap here and there. Everything sounded spot on. Well, except for the two or three Martin Gore solo moments. Seems most of the large crowd was into his ballads, but that was some horribly sappy shit and was a perfect time to go pee.

There was one song near the beginning of the show that they had to start over after 10 seconds. I thought it was funny and I actually like seeing a live show have some warts. Saw someone bitching about this on a DM forum... whatever.

I still wish they played "Strangelove" and would like to know why they skip one of their best songs. Do they consider it a weak pre-"Violator" track? The new songs came off nicely... helps that I like the new album.

Overall, good show... wife and I were happy to see 'em. Next time they tour I'll pass being happy I've seen them and probably spend my money on the next new wave dinosaur act I haven't seen yet (hello Cure).

Oh yeah, there were these two redneck guys right in front of us. One of them looked about 15 and the other around 20. They were ripped off their butts. But what was hilarious was they were pumping their fists in the air EVERY moment of the show and knew every single word to every single song, old and new. For an old fart like me it still kind of amazes me how far some of these new wave and alternative bands have come. There was a time that I used to be made fun of for listening to to music like this and now people drive around in their pickups singing to "Just Can't Get Enough".
Old 11-06-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi

I still wish they played "Strangelove" and would like to know why they skip one of their best songs. Do they consider it a weak pre-"Violator" track? The new songs came off nicely... helps that I like the new album.
I think the reason why they don't play strangelove in concert is because it just doesn't sound very good live. It is a great studio track, but seems to lose all power when done live. Listen to the live version on 101, a great live album. Compared to the rest of the tracks, Strangelove just seems limp.

I think this is the reason and I think I read several years ago a quote from them to this effect. That they were never able to make Stragelove work as well as they would have liked.

They have a few other songs that I feel this way about. Policy of Truth and Halo come to mind. They are both excellent studio tracks, some of their best. But live, they just don't have that kick.
Old 11-07-05, 09:09 AM

I had no idea that Dave was such a spaz on stage. Twirling around and doing a little Flashdance tap here and there. Everything sounded spot on. Well, except for the two or three Martin Gore solo moments. Seems most of the large crowd was into his ballads, but that was some horribly sappy shit and was a perfect time to go pee.
Thanks for your review. Regarding Dave's dancing, you obviously haven't seen any their video releases like Live in Hamburg, 101, or Devotional.

Regarding Martin's performances, those are favorite portions of the show and my favorite portions of Depeche Mode's albums. If you're not really listening, you might find Martin's lyrics to be sappy, but there are always sinistar elements in his songs. Are you aware he writes the majority of Depeche Mode's music and lyrics?
Old 11-07-05, 10:00 AM

WOW i can't belive what sherm42 Strangelove is a great live track "88 live was sweet"
and Halo live kicks-ass.
You must be a new-moder(or not at all),not like me i'm old-moder like myself.
Dave loves to spin around & round,you should seen him back-in-the-day 1981-83 it's good stuff.
Old 11-07-05, 10:09 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Hardly a new moder or not one at all. I have everything they have ever released as well as many that they themselves did not release.

I'm not saying Stangelove and Halo sound terrible in concert, just that they don't seem to reach the level of greatness of the studio versions. Most of their tracks translate great into live performances, but not all.

Some of their tracks sound better live. Higher Love is an example.

Either way, I was not just stating my opinion. I honestly think I read an interview with Depeche where they stated thir disappointment in how Strangelove translated into concert and how it never held up as well live as it did in the studio. That is certainly a valid reason why they have not played in regularly in concert since 101.

Last edited by sherm42; 11-07-05 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-07-05, 10:14 AM

When DM was on they were ON. So many great songs. I had no idea that Dave was such a spaz on stage. Twirling around and doing a little Flashdance tap here and there. Everything sounded spot on. Well, except for the two or three Martin Gore solo moments. Seems most of the large crowd was into his ballads, but that was some horribly sappy shit and was a perfect time to go pee.
Gore is the very heart of the band. He writes almost all of the lyrics and music. While he doesn't have the deep voice that Dave has, he still has a great voice and it works perfect for certain songs.
Old 11-07-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regarding Martin's performances, those are favorite portions of the show and my favorite portions of Depeche Mode's albums. If you're not really listening, you might find Martin's lyrics to be sappy, but there are always sinistar elements in his songs. Are you aware he writes the majority of Depeche Mode's music and lyrics?
Actually, no... I wasn't aware he writes the majority of tunes. Or I haven't thought much about it in the past decade. And I've never seen 101. I'm not a slave to Mode (like my brother-in-law, who flew from Guatemala to Florida to see them last week). I simply like their music, but thought Martin's solo performance was weak. Just my opinion. Maybe the lyrics are deeper than at first glance, but it still didn't do much for me. I'm aware of Vince Clarke's involvement in their early days and bought my first DM album back in '83, but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan. Obviously, this is one of those groups that has a giant "cult" following. Some folks were crying while Gore was singing.

LivingINClip, Gore might be the heart of the band, but w/out Dave after all these years, they wouldn't exist.
Old 11-07-05, 10:42 AM

LivingINClip, Gore might be the heart of the band, but w/out Dave after all these years, they wouldn't exist.
And where would Depeche Mode be without their songwriter after all these years?

Did you hear Dave's solo album? I don't want to be mean, but in my opinion his album is weak without Martin's songs.
Old 11-07-05, 11:24 AM

Hey dave's solo was as his way of coming out of his shell (The pain-drugs-life) it was one of the best cd's that year and martin's was just cover tunes.
Old 11-07-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And where would Depeche Mode be without their songwriter after all these years?
Not disagreeing with you. Just saying that they both are pretty much integral to who they are now.

Did you hear Dave's solo album? I don't want to be mean, but in my opinion his album is weak without Martin's songs.
Yeah, I don't think it's a great album.
Old 11-07-05, 12:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
technically I find it interesting that UK import nearly covers all the bases in terms of audio reproduction

Disc One CD - two-channe stereol/SACD layer: 5.1 surround sound
Disc Two DVD - 5.1 surround sound DTS/Dolby Digital

the US DualDisc edition has the DVD audio tracks, but the CD is not a Hybrid SACD release.
Old 11-07-05, 12:42 PM

Not disagreeing with you. Just saying that they both are pretty much integral to who they are now.
Oh I completely agree.
Old 11-08-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After listening to it a few times, my favorite tracks are:

- John the Revelator
- Precious
- Nothing's Impossible
- Lilian
- Free (international bonus track/b-side)
Old 11-09-05, 09:50 AM

I was excited to hear the new album after reading all the comments in this thread, but I ended up being disappointed. Overall, I think it's an OK album (certainly better than anything since Violator) but not nearly as impressive as some make it out to be. It's not as pop-friendly as Music for the Masses, not as dark as Black Celebration, and not as groundbreaking as Speak and Spell. I have been a DM fan since the early 80's and haven't liked anything much after Violator. The only good stuff they had recently were remixes (especially the Danny Tenaglia remix of "I Feel Loved" and the Peter Rauhofer mix of "It's No Good").

I also had a bad experience at their Exciter tour a few years ago. We paid $100 a ticket at MSG and they didn't play a pre-1993 song until the encore. The whole crowd was a bunch of goth teenagers- it was the first time I really felt OLD at a concert. But it was funny because the few old timers there were sitting the whole show, and then they pulled out a couple of oldies for the encores and the goth kids sat down and all us old farts got going.
Old 11-09-05, 08:40 PM

Hey DR.D there alot depeche mode remixes that you should listen to that will BLOW-YOUR-MIND trust me i have just about every-remix your think of.
Songs of faith and devotion is good stuff you should give that spin.
Old 11-09-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I just recently have gotten very much into DM this year thanks to a co-worker's infatuation with them for years. I have tkts to see them at Staples on 11/22 and I am very much looking forward to it. I'm somewhat mixed on the PTA, but love the fact that they put it out in 5.1 DTS. Favorite song off that (for the moment) is Damaged People. Martin's vocals on that song are haunting. My overall fav album is SoFaD. Favorite song from that album or any DM album is In Your Room. God what a great song. I've gotten many of the remixes as well and really have a great appreciation for this band.
Old 11-10-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I just recently have gotten very much into DM this year thanks to a co-worker's infatuation with them for years......My overall fav album is SoFaD. Favorite song from that album or any DM album is In Your Room........

Interesting choices!...considering you say you are just recently getting into them it's good you are forming your own opinion and not jumping on the 'Black Celebration', 'Violator' bandwagon

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.