Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What Do You Feel is the Most Underrated U2 Song?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 11:52 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, it's easily "Elvis Presley and America", from the UNFORGETTABLE FIRE album. Consistently and vitriolically maligned by U2 fans for being a "one take", without much in the way of post-production polish and eschewing pre-established lyrics from Bono in favor of a more improvised, even "scat" approach. I've always found it to have an astounding melody, and to be profoundly moving, in spite of the fact that the lyrics don't say anything concise or have any obvious meaning. A beautiful tune that should be welcomed for its non-conformity, not lambasted.

Honorable mentions go to "Night + Day", a compelling and dramatic primer for the shift U2 were preparing to undertake from the folksy patina of RATTLE AND HUM to the grungy, industrialized ZOO TV era, featuring an explosive vocal track from Bono that leaves me in shudders; and "Unchained Melody", a powerful, heart-rending, wholly original and dissimilar take from the classic Righteous Brothers version that actually improves upon that original recording in every way; either that or I'm just crazy and my ego won't let me believe the latter.
Old 09-26-05, 12:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
The Fly. It gets panned so much, but its flat out the most rockingest U2 song ever.
Old 09-26-05, 12:54 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Probably something off October, which I have always thought was their best album. Maybe the title track?
Old 09-26-05, 12:57 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
BadlyDrawnBoy, who pans "The Fly"? As a loooong-time U2 fan, I've never heard anybody speak out against it.
Old 09-26-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Probably something off October, which I have always thought was their best album. Maybe the title track?
"I Fall Down"
Old 09-26-05, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
BadlyDrawnBoy, who pans "The Fly"? As a loooong-time U2 fan, I've never heard anybody speak out against it.
Yeah, but underrated can mean that BDB thinks its the best ever and others just think it's okay.

Me, I've always loved (and wished to see live) "Ultraviolet" and "Acrobat," and I tend to be alone and that.

The most *forgotten* awesome U2 song has to be "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me."

RS
Old 09-26-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RMSpuhler
Me, I've always loved (and wished to see live) "Ultraviolet" and "Acrobat," and I tend to be alone and that.
Great songs. A friend made a cd of mp3s for her graduating college friends, and included Ultraviolet. I was impressed. Acrobat is also an amazing song.
Old 09-26-05, 02:26 PM
Banned

RMSpuhler, if it makes you feel better, "Ultraviolet" is my favorite song from ACHTUNG BABY.

Yeah, but underrated can mean that BDB thinks its the best ever and others just think it's okay.
But BDB specifically said it is panned; not simply ignored or overlooked, but panned.
Old 09-26-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doubt many U2 fans hate "Exit" from "Joshua Tree", but I rank that song right up there with "Bad" as my favorite. I just hardly ever see anyone mention that cut. Funny, two songs I don't care for were mentioned earlier in this thread ("Night + Day" and "Hold Me..." I actually can't stand "Hold Me...")
Old 09-26-05, 02:30 PM
Banned

"Homeland" from U2 Rattle and Hum. Such a beautiful love song, in such a unique way. I loved everything about it. Unfortunately, unless your a big U2 fan, is not one most people know. Great and UNDERRATED tune.
Old 09-26-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dalvin
"Homeland" from U2 Rattle and Hum. Such a beautiful love song, in such a unique way. I loved everything about it. Unfortunately, unless your a big U2 fan, is not one most people know. Great and UNDERRATED tune.
Second only to "Heartland" on the album, IMO.
Old 09-26-05, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by uberjoe
Second only to "Heartland" on the album, IMO.
Old 09-26-05, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Funny, two songs I don't care for were mentioned earlier in this thread ("Night + Day" and "Hold Me..." I actually can't stand "Hold Me...")
Hmm...I guess that makes them candidates for being underrated, yes?
Old 09-26-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Out of Control" has an absolutely kick-ass bass-line and a great lead from Dave.

"An Cat Dubh" into "Into the Heart" is terrific.

"40" is the secret weapon on "War".

"Promonade" is the perfect after-sex-on-a-summer-evening-windows-open-slight-breeze song

"One Tree Hill" is actually my favorite song off of "Joshua Tree"

"Miami" is a cool song off of "Pop" (very underrated in general, IMO). Excellent song live.

"Wild Honey" is a fantastic track.

"Original of the Species" is among my favorite new tracks.
Old 09-26-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In God's Country. I'm sure all U2 fans like it, but the "general public" mostly doesn't know it. And even though no-one asked, I think One is definitely their most overrated song.
Old 09-26-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
In God's Country. I'm sure all U2 fans like it, but the "general public" mostly doesn't know it.
Excellent track, great chorus. I love the bridge and solo too.

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-26-05 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-26-05, 03:33 PM

But BDB specifically said it is panned; not simply ignored or overlooked, but panned.
Yeah, you're right. I missed that.

Kind of related: I think "City of Blinding Lights" gets criticised too much as the concert opener for a lot of the Vertigo tour. I think it's a brilliant song to open with - the entire crowd starting to jump on "...I get ready to leave the ground" and singing/yelling along with "Oh you look so beautiful tonight..." is great.

RS
Old 09-26-05, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hiro11
"Out of Control" has an absolutely kick-ass bass-line and a great lead from Dave.

"An Cat Dubh" into "Into the Heart" is terrific.

"40" is the secret weapon on "War".

"Promonade" is the perfect after-sex-on-a-summer-evening-windows-open-slight-breeze song

"One Tree Hill" is actually my favorite song off of "Joshua Tree"

"Miami" is a cool song off of "Pop" (very underrated in general, IMO). Excellent song live.

"Wild Honey" is a fantastic track.

"Original of the Species" is among my favorite new tracks.
I've never quite had the love for "An Cat Dubh" that many other fans have (it never seems to gather quite enough energy--I agree "Into the Heart" is top-notch) and the meandering "Promenade" would quite likely fall in my bottom 5 U2 songs ever, but many of the ones you've mentioned are fabulous tracks, especially "Out of Control", "40", "One Tree Hill" and the delightfully swanky "Miami"!
Old 09-26-05, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RMSpuhler
Yeah, you're right. I missed that.

Kind of related: I think "City of Blinding Lights" gets criticised too much as the concert opener for a lot of the Vertigo tour. I think it's a brilliant song to open with - the entire crowd starting to jump on "...I get ready to leave the ground" and singing/yelling along with "Oh you look so beautiful tonight..." is great.

RS
I love "City of Blinding Lights" but even so, it is my 2nd favorite track from their latest album; as a result, I have to admit that I prefer when they open their concerts with my 1st favorite, "Love and Peace or Else"...
Old 09-26-05, 03:47 PM

I love "City of Blinding Lights" but even so, it is my 2nd favorite track from their latest album; as a result, I have to admit that I prefer when they open their concerts with my 1st favorite, "Love and Peace or Else"...
I like Love and Peace, and it's probably my second or third-favorite (even with its quasi-corny lyrics, there's something about "A Man and Woman"...). I just like it better in the war grouping (w/ Bullet and Sunday Bloody Sunday), and with that group falling after everybody's warmed up.

But it's hard to dislike anything at a U2 concert if you actually get to *go* to a U2 concert...

RS
Old 09-26-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

instead of "underrated" i say "not mentioned" - Wire

basically most anything from the unforgettable fire aside from Pride.
Old 09-26-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm...I guess that makes them candidates for being underrated, yes?
Candidates yeah... but IMO they aren't underrated. Just average to bad
Old 09-26-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
"Stay (Faraway, So Close!)"

It's hard for me to pick one favorite of theirs, but this is it.
Old 09-26-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does "Running to Stand Still" from Joshua Tree count as underrated? Its my favorite U2 song
Old 09-26-05, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Does "Running to Stand Still" from Joshua Tree count as underrated? Its my favorite U2 song
If it counts in your eyes, then it's valid. There have been a couple of mentions (like "Hold Me, Thrill Me..." and "Stay") that personally perplex me--these were radio hits; how does that make them underrated?--but my perception doesn't have to match others'. Personally, since "Running to Stand Still" has been a staple of nearly every tour since "The Joshua Tree"'s, it's hard for me to see it as underrated, but if you feel it deserves more kudos than it's gotten, then rock on!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.