Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

When is the new AC DC record coming out?

Old 10-05-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Geofferson
If interested, seek out the cd 'Strange Man' - it's a compilation of his hits from the band Geordie. An interesting album to say the least.

I see these but none by the "SM" title.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...932141-0440127
Old 10-06-05, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I see these but none by the "SM" title.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...932141-0440127
Honestly, I'm not even sure it's available on CD. I have it on vinyl:

Old 10-06-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe a comparison of track listings would yield a candidate.
Old 10-06-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Interesting - I'll have to pick that up. I have always heard rumors about Bon's apparent involvement with this album and had heard of bootleg cuts of some tunes (though never heard them). I did know of Bon being a fan of Brian Johnson though - in an article I read a while back, he referenced Brian Johnson and Geordie -- I eventually tracked down some of these tunes and Bon was right - they are pretty damn good.
I haven't heard any of his earlier stuff either. I need to try and track some down.

BTW, I went back and re-read the Guitar World article and man either my reading comprehension is bad or my memory is faulty. Almost everything I said earlier was wrong.

Angus and Malcolm had written a lot of the album on the Highway to Hell tour. In Febuary 1980 they rented a rehersal studio to finish writing the tracks. Around the middle of February Bon showed up for a day to hear what the brothers were working on. Apparently Bon was something of an accomplished drummer so he sat in on the kit and played drums while the brothers jammed. He basically came up with the drum parts for "Have a Drink On Me" which they fleshed out that day and then figured out a drum intro for what would become "Let Me Put My Love Into You." He left the studio promising to return a week later with some ideas for lyrics. He died Feb. 20th having never gotten back with the brothers. Malcolm addressed the rumors that many of the lyrics came from a notebook Bon had and said they were patently untrue. They boxed up all of Bon's things and sent them back to his parents as they didn't feel it was right to keep them. There were certainly no demos with Bon as there weren't any lyrics yet.

By the time Brian Johnson joined almost everything was written and he didn't have much input at all on the first album. The band went to Nassau in the Bahamas to do the recording and it was there that Angus and Malcolm not Angus and Brian wrote "Rock & Roll (Ain't Noise Pollution)" which was about a club in the UK which was in a neighborhood with strict noise control regulations. Johnson finished the entire album without ever hearing a finished song all the way through due to the way Mutt Lange recorded him in bits and pieces.