Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do opening acts sound worse than the main act at a concert?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-21-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not saying all concerts but the ones I've been to this is true. I saw Green Day last weekend and while they sounded excellent, Jimmy Eat World sounded like crap. Muddy audio and you couldn't understand many of the lyrics.
I'm not saying JEW sucks I'm just saying that maybe the sound engineer for them was a drop out in sound school or something.

Flashback a few months ago when My Chemical Romance opened for Green Day. MCR sounded the same way. Terrible. While Green Day sounded crisp and clear. Why is this? Is it a sound engineer problem? Or equipment differences?
Old 09-21-05, 02:19 PM

It has a lot to do with sound, the main act is supposed to sound better than the opening act, so the engineers reflect that, they don't on purpose make them sound worse, but they don't polish it as much as they would do the main act. They are definatley not getting as extensive of sound check either.

I've seen JEW as a main act at bowery ballroom and it sounded pretty damn good.
Old 09-21-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always attributed that to many factors. In most cases, the opening act(s) have less set up time. They have limited space on the stage since the headlining act's gear has been set up. After all, you're there to see the main band in most cases. Less space, less rehearsal time, less soundcheck time, etc. Depending on the venue and the draw of the main act, a lot of opening bands are simply glad to have some live time to work on their set, get a bit of exposure, and sell a bit of merchandise.
Old 09-21-05, 02:33 PM
Retired

Yep, the other guys hit it on the head.

And like TripWire, I saw JEW as the headliner in April and they sounded fantastic. So it was definitely related to the issues outlined above plaguing opening acts.
Old 09-21-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That makes sense.
Old 09-21-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
I think they intentionally give the crowd a lousy opening act to further whet their appetite for the "main course".

I saw some crappy band called The Planets open for Stu Hamm at a small venue in Indy several years ago, and apparently they were having some electrical problems, because the lead singer kept shocking himself every time his lips touched the mic. It was kind of funny to watch his head jolting back every few seconds through their entire set.
Old 09-21-05, 02:56 PM

aren't we being a bit anti-semitic here...
Old 09-21-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I noticed the same problem at ozzfest this year.....Velvet Revolver was all muddied and distorted while Black Sabbath was crystal clear.

Funny thing was: Black Label Society was pretty clear too. I guess Zakk gets the same attention to detail/equipment his buddy Ozzy does.
Old 09-21-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by covenant
I noticed the same problem at ozzfest this year.....Velvet Revolver was all muddied and distorted while Black Sabbath was crystal clear.

Funny thing was: Black Label Society was pretty clear too. I guess Zakk gets the same attention to detail/equipment his buddy Ozzy does.
I heard Iron Maiden had some problems with the sound cutting in and out too
Old 09-21-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it also has to do with the main act already has all their settings on the board (panning, bass, treble, levels, etc...) fixed for their sound, which is done during soundcheck. That means that the other acts have to either 1) use those settings that are fixed for the main band's sound (which is probably unlikely, or if used, could sound dramatically different for the other band(s)), or 2) use the other channels that are left on the board (which may not be much).
Old 09-21-05, 07:16 PM
Banned

Actually...I have a friend who used to do crew for shows. It also has a LOT to do with the fact that opening acts use their own equipment (ie microphones, etc) and it's obviously not going to sound as good as the equipment used by the main act.
Old 09-21-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Actually...I have a friend who used to do crew for shows. It also has a LOT to do with the fact that opening acts use their own equipment (ie microphones, etc) and it's obviously not going to sound as good as the equipment used by the main act.
Uh what bands would that be? It has nothing to do with the equipment for a 'decent' opening band at a major show - believe me, been there done that. Others have pointed out most of the reasons why already...main reason - opening band is not going to get the room, lights nor sound that the headliner is getting.
Old 09-21-05, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flashback
Uh what bands would that be? It has nothing to do with the equipment for a 'decent' opening band at a major show - believe me, been there done that. Others have pointed out most of the reasons why already...main reason - opening band is not going to get the room, lights nor sound that the headliner is getting.
Ever watch them changing equipment between acts? Makes COMPLETE sense to anyone with a bit of knowledge of mics and the differences between them. However, your theory on the room (which doesn't change between acts) and the lights (huh????) have nothing to do with the sound.
Old 09-22-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only noticed this at bigger arena type shows. But when bands play at smaller venues, the sound seems to be excellent for all of them, at least in the shows I've attended.
Old 09-22-05, 10:54 AM

Well, it's not like opening bands use pure shit equipment...like Jimmy Eat World has pretty good equipment, they are signed to a major label and have been around for years. It's not like opening bands have hondo guitars and small peavey amps and a radio shack mic. They pretty much have comparable equipment to the main act. Sure some bands have better guitar/vocal processing out there and what not, but there are plenty of huge acts that just mic their amps still and that's it. It has more to do with the live sound board than it does the band's equipment, because most likely a lot of that equipment is what they used to record their great sounding albums also, unless they were pure studio whore's and borrowed the studio's equipment

Last edited by TripWire; 09-22-05 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-22-05, 11:07 AM
Banned

Most of the people i've gone to see lately(Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, Howie Day) had a severe difference between the opening acts and the main act. The opening acts would tend to sound unbalanced (at the open, at least) and muddled. As soon as the main act came on, everything was clear.
Old 09-22-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

However, your theory on the room (which doesn't change between acts)
The "room" definitely changes between the opening act and the headliner... The acoustics are completely different when you have just a few people standing around checking out the opener and when you have a packed floor in front of you for the main act.
Old 09-22-05, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Icculus
The "room" definitely changes between the opening act and the headliner... The acoustics are completely different when you have just a few people standing around checking out the opener and when you have a packed floor in front of you for the main act.
But how would that change an outdoor theater, such as the last concert i went to?
Old 09-22-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But how would that change an outdoor theater, such as the last concert i went to?
Simple. The sound ALWAYS sucks at an outdoor theater. Main band or not.
Old 09-22-05, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Simple. The sound ALWAYS sucks at an outdoor theater. Main band or not.
But in this case it didn't...only for the opening acts. And actually...there were two opening acts. The first sounded horrible...the second was a bit better...and then the main act was perfect. So try again.
Old 09-22-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But in this case it didn't...only for the opening acts. And actually...there were two opening acts. The first sounded horrible...the second was a bit better...and then the main act was perfect. So try again.
Perhaps the opening acts we're actually playing live music and the headliner was simply pushing the PLAY button and dancing around stage to a pre-recorded track.
Old 09-22-05, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by automator
Perhaps the opening acts we're actually playing live music and the headliner was simply pushing the PLAY button and dancing around stage to a pre-recorded track.
Have you SEEN Tori Amos?

I don't think so.

And if you're making a pathetic attempt to connect this to Madonna, it's impossible. She doesn't have opening acts.
Old 09-22-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you SEEN Tori Amos?

I don't think so.

And if you're making a pathetic attempt to connect this to Madonna, it's impossible. She doesn't have opening acts.
Oops. Certainly didn't mean to dis Tori Amos. I have seen her in concert and she puts on a helluva show.

Pathetic, maybe. Just trying to rile you up.

For what it's worth, I do dig the cover art on Maddie's upcoming LP. Hope the music is as good as RoL and older albums.
Old 09-22-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ever watch them changing equipment between acts? Makes COMPLETE sense to anyone with a bit of knowledge of mics and the differences between them. However, your theory on the room (which doesn't change between acts) and the lights (huh????) have nothing to do with the sound.
Ever watch? Shit I did it.

The room on the stage IS different. The main band sets up and the rest of the stage that is left is for the opening bands. Pretty simple - not going to set up a whole drum set in 15-30 minutes when it can be done ahead of time. I am assuming you are talking about major acts, correct? The lights was another example in the fact that the headliner gets everything - just stating the obvious ... opening bands get scraps. Sound - because they will not allow a proper sound check or turn it up in some cases and bad levels, room and lights.
Old 09-24-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I've only noticed this at bigger arena type shows. But when bands play at smaller venues, the sound seems to be excellent for all of them, at least in the shows I've attended.
Agreed. One more reason I don't go to arena shows.