Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Nirvana - Best of the Box

Old 09-16-05, 01:31 PM

Nirvana - Best of the Box

Didn't see this anywhere so here it is:

September 14 & 15, 2005
From the website MusicTAP: "Geffen Records plan a 'best of' set coming from Nirvana's Box. The best of the best will be known as Sliver - The Best of The Box and will issue forth on November 1." This appears to be the "rarities" album which was planned for a 2005 release as part of the legal settlement between Courtney and the Krist/Dave camp a few years back.

Exclusive details: The album contains 19 essential tracks from the box set (2004's "With The Lights Out") as well as three previously unreleased songs from the vaults. Which unreleased songs these might be, I don't know yet. Apparently, the results of a poll conducted by this website last month was indeed taken into consideration when the release was compiled. In the poll, Nirvana fans could vote for their favorite songs from the box set as well as vote for their most wanted unreleased recording.

-This is from www.nirvanaclub.com
Old 09-16-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for reissuing previously issued material for quick bank.

for any as yet unreleased rare material.

-Gunshy
Old 09-16-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

3 new songs? That's ridiculous. I hope people download the hell out of those 3 songs and do not buy the album.

Last edited by cdollaz; 09-16-05 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-16-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Son of a bitch.

On the other hand, I found the box set kind of unfulfilling and bloated, so I might ebay mine and pick this up.
Old 09-17-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think i've listened to the boxset more than twice.

I really thought there would be alot more unreleased songs instead of a few discs worth of demo material.

I'll agree that it was bloated.
Old 09-17-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

eh it depends on what this contains. I haven't had the time to pick up the box, but the dvd of rare performances seems key.

Also, if this was released first, or they took out some of the "so called" longer demos and what not, everyone would complain
fan: why wasn't "so and so" on the new nirvana box
record company: it was too long and we wanted to conserve space.
fan: well fuck that then, give me all or none.
Old 09-17-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz
3 new songs? That's ridiculous. I hope people download the hell out of those 3 songs and do not buy the album.
Wait, let me get this straight. A major artist gets fans to shell out big bucks for a box set of unreleased material and then, less than a year later, releases a single CD compilation with THREE NEW SONGS that essentially screws over their fans. Where have I heard that before?

Old 09-17-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i wonder if it's the artist's decision or the label's to screw over fans?
Old 09-17-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

or no. 3, Courtney wants to release this to help support her drug habbit.
Old 09-17-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll wait for more details.
Old 09-20-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dang, you can't even sell the original box set on eBay for $15 or so... I may just keep it and skip this other set. Either way, feeling rather screwed over by the whole deal. Bah humbug.
Old 09-20-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
i wonder if it's the artist's decision or the label's to screw over fans?
Well, I doubt it was Kurt's idea. He said the fans need another compilation album like they need a hole in the head.
Old 09-20-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Well, I doubt it was Kurt's idea. He said the fans need another compilation album like they need a hole in the head.
Old 09-21-05, 12:37 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
eh it depends on what this contains. I haven't had the time to pick up the box, but the dvd of rare performances seems key.
The DVD is nothing special. It's neat to see them playing in one of their parents house when they were first getting started, and some of the other old stuff.

But most of the video was shot with a camcorder, so the pic and sound quality is pretty bad, so it's not something you watch repeatedly. I've only watched it once since getting it last fall.
Old 09-21-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It could be worse they could release two unreleased songs on the disc and one internet exclusive song like every other fucking artist.

And yeah I hope people download the hell out of those three songs.
Old 09-21-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

as cool as the box set is/was, i rarely find myself wanting to listen to any of the material save for nostalgic moments. there's no reason i'd want this crappy disc. i've been collecting the bootlegs for years.
Old 09-21-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got to hand it to them for screwing the fans like this, really it's f**kin b**shit. Anybody who buys this and has the box set already, I would feel really bad for. I have the box set and as much of a fan as I am, no. not for 3 unreleased tracks. It's just not enough to warrant a repurchase.

And yes, I hope fans download the crap out of these 3 songs and hold off on the box set if they already have it! That way, fan and greedy label can screw eachother.
Old 09-21-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The DVD is nothing special. It's neat to see them playing in one of their parents house when they were first getting started, and some of the other old stuff.
Nothing special?!??! Nothing special?!?!? The rehearsal has never been seen before! And if I remember correctly, it's about 25 minutes! It's not just a little clip. Much of the other stuff on the DVD has never been seen before too! ("Seasons In The Sun")

Just out of curiousity, what would have made it more special?!?!?
Old 09-21-05, 01:59 PM

A mini update from www.nirvanaclub.com:

Rolling Stone has confirmed the release of Sliver and even reports that Frances Bean helped choose the title and cover art: "Three previously unreleased Nirvana songs will surface November 1st when Geffen/Universal issue Sliver, a compilation of Nirvana rarities and demos. The twenty-two-track CD will be rounded out with material from With the Lights Out, the Nirvana box set released last November. Sliver marks the first time Frances Bean Cobain, the thirteen-year-old daughter of late Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain and rocker Courtney Love, has taken an active role in her father's legacy. 'We're pulling Frances into the family business,' Love told Rolling Stone.

In addition to helping select the title, Frances Bean also played a role in choosing the cover image. 'Courtney and I involve Frances in Nirvana/Kurt decisions whenever we can,' says Peter Asher, who manages Love and the Cobain estate. 'She's very perceptive and has cool ideas.' With the Lights Out was delayed for several years due to legal battles between Love and surviving Nirvana members Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl, but there were no such troubles with Sliver." Story courtesy of Rolling Stone. The album will be released on October 31 in Europe.
Old 09-21-05, 02:09 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Just out of curiousity, what would have made it more special?!?!?
Being a high quality concert DVD, not a clip of some early rare stuff that is in poor quality and recorded when Nirvana pretty much sucked IMO.
Old 09-21-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Being a high quality concert DVD, not a clip of some early rare stuff that is in poor quality and recorded when Nirvana pretty much sucked IMO.
Wow! We'll, we're all entitled to our opinions! I'd be hard pressed to say that Nirvana ever sucked (except when playing "Come As You Are").

Plenty of time later for high quality concert DVDs. There's quite a few good ones floating around the trading circles.
Old 09-21-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by glasschicken
'We're pulling Frances into the family business,' Love told Rolling Stone.
Which business is that, the dying an early tragic death business or the becoming a sellout crackhead media whore business? Yeesh. Poor kid.
Old 09-23-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unreleased tracks seem to be Spank Thru (Faecal Matter), Sappy (Endino-produced demo), and Come As You Are (boombox).

Tracklisting:
1. Spank Thru (Faecal Matter) 3:10
2. Heartbreaker (first Nirvana show) 2:59
3. Mrs. Butterworth (band demo) 4:05
4. Floyd The Barber (live) 2:33
5. Clean Up Before She Comes (home demo) 3:12
6. About A Girl (home demo) 2:44
7. Sappy (Endino-produced demo) 3:46
8. Blandest (Endino-produced demo) 3:56
9. Ain't It A Shame (The Jury) 2:01
10. Lithium (KAOS/Calvin Johnson) 1:49
11. Opinion (KAOS/Calvin Johnson) 1:34
12. Sliver (home demo) 2:09
13. Smells Like Teen Spirit (boombox) 5:40
14. Come As You Are (boombox) 4:15
15. Old Age (Nevermind outtake) 4:20
16. Oh The Guilt (Touch and Go single) 3:25
17. Rape Me (solo acoustic) 3:23
18. Rape Me (band demo) 3:01
19. Heart Shaped Box (Rio demo) 5:31
20. Do Re Mi (home demo w/ Pat Smear) 4:24
21. You Know You're Right (solo acoustic) 2:30
22. All Apologies (solo acoustic) 3:33
Old 09-23-05, 11:51 AM

Kind of a let down if you ask me. I'll probably still get it. I can't believe Verse Chorus Verse didn't make the cut though. Actually, thinking more about it, this looks pretty bad. I just hope the new Sappy sounds good. Anyone know if this version of Oh, The Guilt has the lighter clicks in the begining or if it's still the same as the box one.

Last edited by glasschicken; 09-23-05 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-23-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll pass. Those 2 of those 3 new tracks are widely available through trading circles and I absolutely hate "Come As You Are".

I also would've picked almost every single song differently from the box set (with the exception of "Ain't It A Shame", "Mrs Butterworth", "Oh the Guilt" and "Do Re Mi").

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.