Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bryan Adams Anthology (2 CDs) due 10/18

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bryan Adams recently re-recorded one of his songs with actress Pamela Anderson. According to the Canadian rocker's official web site, the former Baywatch star sings on a track called "When You're Gone," which originally appeared on Adams' 1998 album, On A Day Like Today. and was originally a duet with former Spice Girl Mel C. The new version is on his upcoming two-disc Anthology collection.
DISC 1:
1. Remember
2. Lonely Nights
3. Straight From The Heart
4. Cuts Like A Knife
5. This Time
6. Run To You
7. Somebody
8. Heaven
9. Summer Of '69
10. One Night Love Affair
11. It's Only Love (w/Tina Turner)
12. Heat Of The Night
13. Hearts Of Fire
14. (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
15. Can't Stop This Thing We Started
16. There Will Never Be Another Tonight
17. Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven
18. The Best Of Me
DISC 2:
1. Please Forgive Me
2. All For Love (w/Sting & Rod Stewart)
3. Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman?
4. Rock Steady (live, w/Bonnie Raitt)
5. The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You
6. Let's Make A Night To Remember
7. Star
8. Back To You (live)
9. I'm Ready (live)
10. On A Day Like Today
11. Cloud Number Nine
12. Here I Am
13. This Side Of Paradise
14. Why Do You Have To Be So Hard To Love
15. Open Road
16. 18 Til I Die (live)
17. When You're Gone (w/Pamela Anderson)
18. So Far So Good
The ones that didn't make the cut that I said might:
Hiding from Love
Kids Wanna Rock
Christmas Time & Run Run Rudolph (would be nice on here)
Victim of Love
Do I Have To Say The Words?
All I Want Is You
Touch The Hand
I Finally Found Someone (with Barbra Streisand)

Overall a great CD and much better than So Far So Good or Best of Me

Last edited by bigjim25; 09-28-05 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-15-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't liked much of anything he's done in a very long time. Waking up the Neighbors was his last decent effort imo.

The songs that you've guessed would make me really consider it, especially a couple of songs from his first album that very few people even know about. But if the CDs only touch on the very best of his old stuff and have a LOT of the stuff "he" considers to be good from the stuff from the last 10 years than I will pass.

"The Best Was Yet To Come" was my class song and that would be a nice surprise inclusion and you posted both "Hiding From Love" ("Remember" is my favorite from that first album) and "Lonely Nights" ("Fits Ya Good" unplugged would be cool), while both should be on the cd, we'll be lucky to get one out of the two.

Oh and "She's a Litttle Too Good for me" from Room Service was as close to old school Bryan Adams as I've heard in a very long time. But the single was either never released or tanked.

And "Diana" really deserves a place on this cd. That song alone might merit a purchase.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 09-15-05 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just get the greatest hits.
Old 09-16-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
No "I Wanna Be Your Underwear"? Oh well, catchy tune though.
Old 09-16-05, 12:42 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
No Fits Ya Good???
Old 09-16-05, 01:20 PM
Banned

JAA, my thoughts exactly! No FYG = no sale.
Old 09-18-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
"The Best was Yet to Come", possibly his best song, is not included, but a lot of latter-day crap is?!
Old 09-19-05, 08:36 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Glad to see One Night Love Affair made the cut.
Old 09-19-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll probably pick this up.. never got around to getting "Room Service" yet. I'm still trying to get over how bad "On A Day Like Today" was...
Old 09-28-05, 10:00 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No "Reggae Christmas" either, I used to love that video. MTV played it around the holidays for most of the 80s.

If he really had balls he would've included his disco song "Let Me Take You Dancing".
Old 09-28-05, 10:29 AM

I'll have to get this...to hard to resist. Hey Norm if you truly are a fan you have the Live!Live!Live! disc that came out in 1988(i.e. The Best was yet to come). If not i highly recommend it It's a great mix of his stuff(at the time). I love "Into the Fire" at the end of the disc especially accoustic(which is also not on this 2 disc set!?)
Old 09-28-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 2nd disc is just awful. The best 2 songs "Back to you" and "I'm Ready" are live, so we don't even get remastered versions of the originals.

I knew that there would be some stuff that I didn't like and some choices that made no sense to me, but he also surprised me in a good way with "Remember" to lead things off. But that 2nd disc is almost entirely crap.

Won't buy it for that reason.
Old 09-28-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Gcomeau
I'll have to get this...to hard to resist. Hey Norm if you truly are a fan you have the Live!Live!Live! disc that came out in 1988(i.e. The Best was yet to come). If not i highly recommend it It's a great mix of his stuff(at the time). I love "Into the Fire" at the end of the disc especially accoustic(which is also not on this 2 disc set!?)
I can't say I'm a major fan; I only have his first three albums. I do know he has made some unbearable music in recent years. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 09-28-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I'll get it.
Old 10-16-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The week of 10/18 prices: $11.99 at CircuitCity, $12.99 at BestBuy

Make sure to get the version with free bonus (looks live) DVD that includes:
Room Service
Open Road
18 Til I Die
Let's Make A Night To Remember
Can't Stop This Thing We Started
Kids Wanna Rock
Back To You
(Everything I Do) I Do It For You
Summer Of '69
Cuts Like A Knife
Not Romeo Not Juliet
Heaven
It's Only Love
The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You
Band Intros
Cloud Number Nine
Run To You
The Best Of Me
Flying
All For Love
Straight From The Heart
Room Service
Old 10-16-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts
Thanks, bigjim. Not a big Bryan Adams fan, but for $12, that set including the live DVD is too good a deal to pass up.
Old 10-16-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I haven't liked much of anything he's done in a very long time. Waking up the Neighbors was his last decent effort imo.

The songs that you've guessed would make me really consider it, especially a couple of songs from his first album that very few people even know about. But if the CDs only touch on the very best of his old stuff and have a LOT of the stuff "he" considers to be good from the stuff from the last 10 years than I will pass.

"The Best Was Yet To Come" was my class song and that would be a nice surprise inclusion and you posted both "Hiding From Love" ("Remember" is my favorite from that first album) and "Lonely Nights" ("Fits Ya Good" unplugged would be cool), while both should be on the cd, we'll be lucky to get one out of the two.

Oh and "She's a Litttle Too Good for me" from Room Service was as close to old school Bryan Adams as I've heard in a very long time. But the single was either never released or tanked.

And "Diana" really deserves a place on this cd. That song alone might merit a purchase.

Yeah, I would most definitely agree with "Diana" needing to be on this release! This is the third "collection" type CD he's put out, and still that song isn't on it. And how about the "BryanAdamix", that was around about the same time as that.

I would also like to add "Tonight", from YWIYGI, and I'd stick with the original version of "Fits Ya Good" from this album, too.

And last but not least, also another shout out for "Reggae Christmas".

I wasn't going to pick this up - but for the ultra cheap price it's being listed at in some stores flyers, I may just yet.
Old 10-18-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by reverie
I'll probably pick this up.. never got around to getting "Room Service" yet. I'm still trying to get over how bad "On A Day Like Today" was...
Pick up room service, great cd...

Anyway since i own all of bryan adam's studio cd's except "18 til i die" terrible cd imo, including his best of cd titled "the best of me" i'll pass on this set mainly because it doesn't include his duet with barbara streisand "i finally found someone, someday that song will be released on one of his cd's, i wish it was on "the best of me" i would be a happy camper...
Old 10-18-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

what?! ryan adams has only been around for a few years and he already has an anthology coming out?!

Old 10-18-05, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by DrRingDing
what?! ryan adams has only been around for a few years and he already has an anthology coming out?!
I just flew back from New York, and BOY are my arms tired.
Take my wife. Please!
Thank you! Try the veal.

In other words, this is a very old joke.
Old 10-18-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I wish I could only buy the first disc.
Old 10-18-05, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I wish I could only buy the first disc.
For $12, it looks to be a great deal with that live dvd. Yeah there's a dip in quality in the second disc but still what a bargain it is.

edit : Bought it today and just checked out the DVD. It's a full concert. 1 hr 48 min. Unfortunately it looks like shit. It was shot in Super 8 and 16 MM and looks grainier than humanly possible. That Pearl Jam Touring Band 2000 DVD looks like LOTR by comparison. The audio is nothing special, DD 2.0. Still for a freebie it's quite a bonus and the song selection is very good. Too bad it won't fit in the case with the CDs.

Last edited by Decker; 10-18-05 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
For $12, it looks to be a great deal with that live dvd. Yeah there's a dip in quality in the second disc but still what a bargain it is.

edit : Bought it today and just checked out the DVD. It's a full concert. 1 hr 48 min. Unfortunately it looks like shit. It was shot in Super 8 and 16 MM and looks grainier than humanly possible. That Pearl Jam Touring Band 2000 DVD looks like LOTR by comparison. The audio is nothing special, DD 2.0. Still for a freebie it's quite a bonus and the song selection is very good. Too bad it won't fit in the case with the CDs.

Thanks for the review on the DVD, Decker. Even at the cheap price, guess I'm still going to pass on this one after all.
Old 10-19-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cheap price made me pick it up.. It's decent, not outstanding, but good. I haven't gotten to the DVD yet, and I've still got a couple songs on disc two to go. Not overly thrilled with the "Room Service" tracks that I've heard so far, but they're a little better than "On A Day Like Today". And I actually liked the album "18 Til I Die"! It seems after his last couple albums didn't do anything, they put this out at a great price hoping to get people back on board.. maybe I'm wrong though.

Edited to add: A day on, I'm done with the cds (DVD will take awhile longer), and I have to go with a clean sweep with being very unimpressed with the "Room Service" songs. I was going to eventually pick that album up, but now I'm kind of doubting it. And I really don't understand why Pamela Anderson.. I think that's about all I have to say about that song. "So Far So Good" is decent, sounds like something Huey Lewis and the News would do.

Next anthology purchase: John Fogerty!

Last edited by reverie; 10-20-05 at 11:57 AM.