Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Any love for Saul Williams?

Old 09-14-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any love for Saul Williams?

I have been listening to Amethyst Rock Star for a couple years now and only about a month ago got around to picking up his new (2004) self titled album. After listening to it for a month pretty steadily i can honestly say he has moved into position as probably my favorite hip-hop artist. The poet/musician is just absolutely incredible. I also just noticed his website has two videos on it i need to check out - one for List of Demands and the other is for Black Stacey.

Anyone else listening to him or otherwise a fan?
Old 09-14-05, 08:03 PM

I first saw him on the Chris Rock show a while back. Great there.
Then he opened up for the Mars Volta...but that show sold out.
List of Demands video = great.
Then the other week Black Stacey showed and was great as well.

He was the guest on Subterranean a few weeks back. Wearing a Public Enemy shirt and talking about "real hip hop with meaning." The host asked "Yeah, where has that gone" Referring to himself, Saul replied with the most confindent answer "It's right here."

Good stuff, so I'll show some love.
Old 09-14-05, 09:38 PM

I remember seeing the Mars Volta at the Showbox in 2003, and I didn't even know who Saul Williams was or anything like that. Then he came out, unfurled a roll of paper and read through it, the passion in his voice rising and the emotion boiling over with every passing word. After his first bit, he simply said, "I bet you were expecting a beat to drop, huh?"

I have never been blown away by something like I was that night with his set. His albums are equally as energetic, and I would recommend fans to check out "Slam," which he acted in (and might have had a writing/producing credit). Good stuff.
Old 09-14-05, 10:14 PM

I like the track "Act III Scene 2 (Shakespeare) of his new album - has Zach de la Rocha on it. Haven't heard anything other than his new self-titled album, but I really enjoys it.
Old 09-15-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's good, he supported NIN when I saw them at the Brixton Acadamy in London. Wearing the same Public Enemy Tshirt. He seems to have alot of issues about alot of things, but in the end that is what rap should be about. When he was speaking what rap is about today he was saying about how crap Nelly and that sort of current "rappers" are selling out their history, you have got to agree. He played a great set, Black Stacey was my favourite on the night.
Old 09-15-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I first saw him on the Chris Rock show too. been a fan since.
Old 09-16-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If this is who I think he is he's also a decent actor.
Old 09-16-05, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He was very good in Slam. I actually had read one of his books and listened to the spoken word album that came with it (i believe it was s/he) and really got into him before i ever even got around to seeing Slam. Then Amethyst Rock Star came out and he has continually impressed me.